Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It doesn't necessarily mean a long wait. The queen is 88, Philip is 93 so in 5 years, that is 93 and 98. William as the heir apparent isn't that far away. Also the Danish queen is more closer to Charles age wise than the Queen. As next in line, Charles is in the same position as a couple of little girls in Spain and Holland but that doesn't really mean anything.

I dont read the DM so my perspective on the refurbishment is that the Uk media has moved on, and that it barely made the news anyway.

so basically it seems that one rabid newspaper and a number of bonkers journos who work for it is making waves.

It does generate a lot of posts but it also needs to be put in perspective

PS I look at all papers except DM and The Star (more than tacky) most days.

Why would you want wood countertops like that it would hard to clean. Granite would be easier to take care of. Didn't the people who used to live there have a wood business or something? They probably did it over to use as advertisement and 38k is the retail not the actual cost. It's the Queen's house and what is being done is private money so the DM is just riling up the crazy commenters. In an austerity age, you need people to spend private money by buying thing and employing people to do things like renovate homes.

Six years of wear and tear is quite a lot, and kitchens do age badly. People these days are reluctant to live with other peoples choice of decoration [which is what design companies thrive on, and encourage], so the removal of the previous tenants kitchen is in no way unusual.

Indeed i have known people rip out every plant, shrub and tree from a mature garden, and replace them with [fully mature] choices of their own...

Such is the nature of consumer capitalism, and as Skippyboo says.. it provides work for many, many people.

I really don't get the Daily Mail a paper of the establishment yet write articles like that. Quite frankly it's none of the DM business what they do with private funds on the Queens private estate.

These nasty articles need to stop.

I realise Anmer Hall is a privately owned residence and that all costs have been met privately, but I hope the Cambridges realise how lucky they are to have £1.5m spent on refurbishing their home, and that most people don't earn this much money in an entire lifetime.

Most people can walk down the street without being noticed and constantly photographed so it is a trade off.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I realise Anmer Hall is a privately owned residence and that all costs have been met privately, but I hope the Cambridges realise how lucky they are to have £1.5m spent on refurbishing their home, and that most people don't earn this much money in an entire lifetime.

I think they do but you only seem to respond in terms of money. For clarity. This house is PRIVATELY owned by the Queen and she has paid PRIVATELY for the refurb. No public money has been spent.

When off duty they wish for privacy - that is not unfair and has nothing to do with cost. This action is being prompted to ensure that once they are there, they are not buzzed by low flying planes.

Bear in mind that Anmer is in a village, and the other inhabitants need to be considered as well.

I think they do but you only seem to respond in terms of money. For clarity. This house is PRIVATELY owned by the Queen and she has paid PRIVATELY for the refurb. No public money has been spent.

Yes I realise that Anmer is privately owned and has been privately paid for which is why I wrote:

My point is that I hope they actually realise how extremely fortunate they are in contrast the majority of people they will one day reign over.

Not at under 500 feet in open countryside or 1000 feet from the top of a building.

The Sandringham Estate compliant is against a plane they say was flying dangerously and under 500 feet.

If true I hope the pilot is jailed

Last year when Catherine and William stayed with her parents after the birth of George, the Thames Valley Police applied for and were granted a no-fly zone over Bucklebury for the period of their stay.

I hope they are granted this for Anmer

As The Queen and Philip don't have one over Windsor Castle - under the flight path to Heathrow - why should William and Kate get one?

As The Queen and Philip don't have one over Windsor Castle - under the flight path to Heathrow - why should William and Kate get one?

The flight path over Windsor is a designated flight path for commercial aircraft. That is not small aircraft operating at 500 ft. Frankly under 500 ft and they would be in danger of hitting theTower. If that was a problem then you know as well as I do the monarch would have a restriction.

there is obviously an issue that william is taking pre-emptive action.

Be realistic, no one will make money out of candid HMQ in the same way as they did over the candids in Aus with k/G playing in the garden.

This is a privacy but also a security issue.

they need privacy when not on official duties. I support this

Ps I lived close to Windsor for many yrs so have 1st hand knowledge of the awful flight path.

Last edited:
Their apartment is the same one as Princess Margaret used? To think that poor Margaret lived with an asbestos lined apartment! Well, I suppose it was probably sufficiently enclosed so as to not poison Margaret. But if they are removing it now, it must be considered some kind of threat? Asbestos, if tightly contained, is not terribly toxic unless it burns. In an fire such as I was in in Los Alamos in 2000, many old condominiums which were asbestos filled (in the basements) burned. This created a toxic stew which was not safe for a couple of years, although people did come back to live there. If the asbestos was not carefully contained, it could have contributed to Princess Margaret's health problems.

Their apartment is the same one as Princess Margaret used? To think that poor Margaret lived with an asbestos lined apartment! Well, I suppose it was probably sufficiently enclosed so as to not poison Margaret. But if they are removing it now, it must be considered some kind of threat? Asbestos, if tightly contained, is not terribly toxic unless it burns. In an fire such as I was in in Los Alamos in 2000, many old condominiums which were asbestos filled (in the basements) burned. This created a toxic stew which was not safe for a couple of years, although people did come back to live there. If the asbestos was not carefully contained, it could have contributed to Princess Margaret's health problems.

Asbestos when in a form that creates surfaces (as in Guildford Cathedral ) is not harmful. The issue arises when it deteriorates and crumbles. The fabric becomes dust-like and when inhaled can cause long-term breathing issues (asbestiosis). If left alone there are no issues but the potential problems are enormous and therefore the removal of the material is recommended. As soon as the surface is damaged (needed to remove) then the problems start and so does the expense. Controled removal under supervision is required.

Margaret would not have been affected by it unless it was damaged in some way. Given the required restoration, I believe this is unlikely.

Here is a link to the issues facing Guildford Cathedral
https://www.guildford-cathedral.org/support/appeal

There are also asbestos in Buckingham Palace, they removed it in the basement.

This is exactly why people are disappointed with William and Catherine.
The KP townhome (Apt 1A) befits a full time royal.

Nottingham Cottage is ample enough for William, Kate & George as part time royals.

At age 18, William was given a 3 bedroom cottage on the Balmoral estate.
None of the Queen's children nor grandchildren except William received separate accommodations at Balmoral.

The 3 bedroom cottage is rumored to be considered too small by William who wants a larger piece of property at Balmoral.

Anmer House was vacated so William and Catherine can have a private residence on the Sandringham estate. Again no other member of the family, not even Prince Charles, received separate housing on the Sandringham estate.

The remodeling of several large houses for part time royals does not sit well with most people especially those who work for living.

William's need for his own space while not paying for them also does not sit well with most people.

William was given the house on the Balmoral estate because he was going to go to university at St Andrews so he would have a place of his own for weekends and other times he wanted to get away from university.

Charles didn't need a home on the Sandringham estate as he had Highgrove - and remember that he, like Andrew, both served in the navy so were at sea for months at a time. He also attended Cambridge university which is not that far from Sandringham if he wanted somewhere to go for weekends away from London. Same for Edward.

William hasn't been given homes on his grandmother's estate - not new homes or homes that belong to the Crown Estates such as Anne (new - Gatcombe), Edward (CE - Bagshot) and Andrew with (new - Sunninghill and then CE - Royal Lodge).

If William and Kate were to stay in Nott Cott - where would their staff stay for one thing? And what about Harry? He lives there now so he would have to be found somewhere else.

Apartment 1A, or somewhere else was always going to be needed for one of the princes so better now than in 10 years time when costs would go up again.

William and Kate don't do a lot of engagements, but he is also only the second in line to the throne and probably has another 25 - 30 years to wait for the top job. Being second in line to the throne and married with a family does mean a certain level of housing is needed - to maintain his standing in society.

Going on past precedence the next time KP will be renovated will be when he becomes King, unless he moves into CH when his father becomes King.

Nott Cottage is 2 bedrooms. So that would be one for WK and one for George. Where does the nanny stay on the sofa?

I love how a man who willing risked his life by flying a helicopter in dangerous conditions in Snowdonia is called work shy. So if he takes a full time job helping people as the air ambulance pilot that isn't okay but he should become a professional plaque unveiler/tree planter instead?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Do we know for sure he isn't paying for it (or Charles isn't)?

LaRae

Do we know for sure he isn't paying for it (or Charles isn't)?

LaRae

When you really think about it, we've heard how William and Kate are financing the things that go into Apt. 1A from the carpet to the drapes and such. What isn't normally realized is that they are spending their own (or perhaps with a little help from Dad) money on a residence that they will never own. They are not being given the apartment as in handed the deed to the place but rather are granted the use of Apt. 1A. Its the same thing with Anmer Hall.

Most people I know that rent an apartment or a house look to the landlord should something go wrong with the domicile such as a leaky roof, malfunctioning heating/cooling system but yet realize that whatever funds they privately put into making the place more comfortable for them are being done to furnish someone else's property.

This is exactly why people are disappointed with William and Catherine.
The KP townhome (Apt 1A) befits a full time royal.

Nottingham Cottage is ample enough for William, Kate & George as part time royals.

At age 18, William was given a 3 bedroom cottage on the Balmoral estate.
None of the Queen's children nor grandchildren except William received separate accommodations at Balmoral.

The 3 bedroom cottage is rumored to be considered too small by William who wants a larger piece of property at Balmoral.

Anmer House was vacated so William and Catherine can have a private residence on the Sandringham estate. Again no other member of the family, not even Prince Charles, received separate housing on the Sandringham estate.

The remodeling of several large houses for part time royals does not sit well with most people especially those who work for living.

William's need for his own space while not paying for them also does not sit well with most people.

The Queen is just facing the reality of the present situation. Not since Queen Victoria's time have we had an adult heir to the heir.

Balmoral and Sandringham will belong to Charles one day and then William. William doesn't need to "earn" either estate.

Again why would she give her other children or grandchildren something that they aren't entitled to anyway?

Since Victoria both estates have gone to the next monarch through inheritance.

The Queen and Charles are just providing William some land and houses now that will belong to him outright anyway in the future.

Balmoral and Sandringham belong to the monarch to do with as she wants.

If she wants to give a house on the estate to William and Katherine or to a long-time employee or to anyone else, it is her right. And unless we are one of her children or grandchildren or security responsible for protecting the royal family, it is really none of our business what she does with her personal property.

If Catherine was to carry the same number of engagements as Princess Anne, the media would be complaining what a horrible mother she was.
Much of this is being promoted by the media who want 24/7 access to the Duke and Duchess to sell their papers and magazines.

If the Queen or Prince Charles feel that either should be doing more, they will let them know.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like the apartments at KP are much like a condominium. Residents take care of the interiors while the state manages the maintenance, repairs and refurbishing of the exterior, infrastructure and grounds of the historic building.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like the apartments at KP are much like a condominium. Residents take care of the interiors while the state manages the maintenance, repairs and refurbishing of the exterior, infrastructure and grounds of the historic building.

That certainly might be a way to describe the arrangement: the KP condo!

Back
Top Bottom