The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-12-2013, 04:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
Where is that located? What would be the purpose of using it? Just a country retreat?
It would be their home in the country yes.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Nobility

How far is it from London? I wonder what this means for William's career and their future. I know that's a separate thread, but it's interesting that they are supposedly going to use Anmer House.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Anmer Hall will be a weekend and holiday retreat. It is on the Sandringham Estate and is owned by the Queen. So (for example) when the Royal Family go to SAndringham at Christmas, William and family will be based at Anmer Hall.

It is too far from London to commute daily for any London based job.

Anmer Hall is discussed in detail in the future career thread.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
How far is it from London? I wonder what this means for William's career and their future. I know that's a separate thread, but it's interesting that they are supposedly going to use Anmer House.
It's a two hour and 26 minute journey according to google. I did BP to SH, which I did chuckle at typing those directions into google. Anmer looks like it's going to be a weekend hideout with KP being their main residence. You could travel, it would be a strenuous journey, from Wales to Anmer for a long long weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Anmer Hall is discussed in detail in the future career thread.
Career thread?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Courtier

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-and-Kate.html
Old 04-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

The architect who did work at Highgrove has been appointed to do the alterations at Anmer

Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought it was an interesting piece, but then again, I'm interested in home renovations on historic homes. It's a stunning property- lovely place for them to be with their future children.

I was also thinking that in the future, having their own large home on the Sandringham estate will probably make the logistics of having Kate's family to visit much easier.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Courtier

Personally I found these two paragraphs very interesting:

It now seems certain that the current tenant, James Everett, will be asked to move out of the property before his lease runs out in 2017, meaning the Queen may have to negotiate compensation with him for the cost of moving his upmarket kitchen worktop business, Norfolk Oak, which has its premises in outbuildings at Anmer Hall.
The planning permission granted to the Queen by King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Council expires in 2016, suggesting the monarch wants to have the building work done before then and move the Duke and Duchess into the Grade II* listed property, which was once the home of the Duke and Duchess of Kent.

Its becoming clearer and clearer that a move to Anmer will come sooner rather than later making it more and more possible it will hold a key part of the jigsaw of where William will go with his future career.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

its either a weekend retreat or he's going to Wattisham

Old 04-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Courtier

Kate Middleton and Prince William's Sandringham home to have privacy protecting trees and rooms for police | Mail Online

This article has a plan/picture of the proposed changes which makes it clearer what the proposals are all about.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I was also thinking that in the future, having their own large home on the Sandringham estate will probably make the logistics of having Kate's family to visit much easier.
My thought was that this will really work out nicely come the Christmas holidays. If all the Middletons were to come to Anmer Hall, excepting for the occasions where its the Queen's family (and perhaps later on, Charles' family), they will all be in one place for the celebrations. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Queen had the Middletons over for Boxing Day.

Once a couple produces grandchildren, all sets of grandparents tend to go ballistic wanting to see the wee ones on holidays.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yup, that was my thought too. Kate and William can have all the Middletons to stay at Anmer Hall and spend time with them that way, and still easily join the royal family as well. Would give both families the chance to see lots of their grandchild.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Heir Apparent

A home fit to make Royal family history

How does Anmer Hall, revealed to be the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's new country residence, compare with former houses for young royals?

A home fit to make Royal family history - Telegraph
Old 04-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Yup, that was my thought too. Kate and William can have all the Middletons to stay at Anmer Hall and spend time with them that way, and still easily join the royal family as well. Would give both families the chance to see lots of their grandchild.
I wonder if teh Queen giving them Anmer was in response to William making it clear that he and Kate wouldn't always be at Sandringham to visit at Christmas and they would share it with the Middletons as well. Perhaps the Queen realized this way they can be with both families.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 AM
Royal Highness

Funny how they all omit the fact that if the queen doesn't turn out to be immortal in all probability Charles won't have too wait overly long to inherit Sandringham House and Balmoral, while William probably gets Birkhall in addition to Anmer. I don't see Charles giving up Highgrove as king (and I believe Queen Camilla will keep Ray Mill House) but he may leave Highgrove to Harry one day.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Highgrove is part of the Duchy of Cornwall and I imagine it will stay that way. That would mean it will go to William unless some other arrangement is made
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

There will definitely be some major residence shifts when Charles becomes king. So many options at that point who knows how it works out. William and Kate could end up back at Clarence House, with Birkhall and Highgrove as their other homes.

I sometimes wonder if the long term plan is to give all the residences currently being prepared for William and Kate to Prince Harry and his future wife eventually, when Charles is King.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Majesty

Kensington Palace is William & Catherine's permanent official London residence. Don't know what will become of Clarence House once Charles is King. Some royal correspondents think Charles will keep Clarence House when he's King.

I actually think Highgrove will continue to be Charles & Camilla's country residence. He's invested a great deal into Highgrove and it's considered his baby in a way. I think the estate will pass on to William or Harry after his passing.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

If Charles dies before Camilla, then Clarence House would be Camilla's London residence I expect, as it was for the Queen Mother. I always thought that Highgrove would go to Harry.

I think once Charles is King, then he must be seen to live in the royal residences. ITs partof the role. He will move into Balmoral and DDoC will move into Birkhall.

I dont know how he feels about Windsor. Maybe William and Catherine will live there.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Courtier

the last few comments have made me realize just how perfect Anmer is for their first country house to start work on, as its the one they will be able to keep for the longest. Charles as the heir doesn't have his own residence on the Sandringham Estate so their is no clear place for William and Kate to move to when Charles becomes King and they become the heirs so they will hold on to Anmer(if they want to) for the rest of the Queen's reign and Charles' reign.
Most of the other places they may have started their own home in would quiet possibly see them having to move when Charles becomes King, e.g. then having to move into Highgrove

« Buckingham Palace | - »