Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read that St. James' Palace is in dire need of repairs and that one really feels that the building is very, very old: musty smells and no sunshine. No place to bring up kids, obviously. I wouldn't wonder if there weren't some really rooms set aside for William after he was born or at least after his parent's marriage collapsed. Surely there were some grace and favour apartments which became available since his birth which are sunny, have entrance to a garden and can be easily potected? It's not as if nobody ever thought about William getting married some day.... :whistling:

I'm sure they've picked somewhere for him to live, even if it's highgrove.

I'm sure they've picked somewhere for him to live, even if it's highgrove.

My bet is on KP for a London based residence. IIRC, I read somewhere where Kate and William were looking into moving into #8 and #9 in KP.. the old apartments where Diana lived with the boys after her divorce. It seems there's a nice area for kids to play and I imagine it has a lot of good memories for William too.

I thought her apartments were turned into offices?

I read an article a while back about Princess Margarets apartments and Diana's. That hers were being turned into offices, whilst Margarets were being kept almost museum like. I suppose it would be easy to turn them back, but that would add to all the talk about the new triangle.

I read somewhere (will try & track it down) that Kate had visited KP to have a look around at apartments there, saw Diana's & Princess Margaret's old rooms & preferred PM's. Read that they were all ready to go with that choice & refurbish PM's old rooms, 1A I think they were in the article I read, in KP. Can't remember where I read that or whether it was an even vaguely trustworthy news source, will try & find it.

I read somewhere (will try & track it down) that Kate had visited KP to have a look around at apartments there, saw Diana's & Princess Margaret's old rooms & preferred PM's. Read that they were all ready to go with that choice & refurbish PM's old rooms, 1A I think they were in the article I read, in KP. Can't remember where I read that or whether it was an even vaguely trustworthy news source, will try & find it.

I doubt it. Apartment 1A is part of the Kensington Palace Museum and from what I remember from the palace's homepage, it's integrated into the exhibit now - so I doubt they would re-privasite it. I thought it was just a fast article written after a short visit to the palaces webpage in order to fill space at the paper... :whistling:

I read the same thing. I don't remember where, either.
It also said that William preferred Kensington to St. James.

I read the same thing. I don't remember where, either.
It also said that William preferred Kensington to St. James.

I think that is for obvious reasons. It is his childhood home, where he spent happy years with his mum and brother growing up. All this talk about too many memories of Diana, or how the press will link it to Diana and so on and so on.....is the media. Prince William was extremely close to his mum, he gave Kate her ring, and it should not be seen as being too 'diana' for them to live in Kensington. It is his childhood home, it's natural.

Why are they looking for another apartment when William has one at Clarence House? I have no idea whether it's a self contained separate unit or just a suite of rooms, but wouldn't it make sense to stay there until William is out of the RAF and they take on full time Royal duties?

You may be thinking of this article from the Daily Mail? Lady Louise picked as Kate Middleton's royal bridesmaid | Mail Online

Kate Middleton has been to view Princess Diana’s old apartment at Kensington Palace in her search for a London home. But although she was impressed with the size of the home, she has set her heart on Princess Margaret’s old apartment, No 1A. The palace is currently undergoing a £12 million refurbishment and it is understood that a number of designers, including a close friend of the Beckhams, have been consulted about 1A. A source said: ‘Kate loves the fact the palace is close to all her favourite shops but is still private.’ A spokesman for the couple said: ‘They genuinely haven’t decided.’

Pic of 1A: http://bit.ly/fngg4t

I believe William shares his current Clarence House digs with his brother, so those would be unsuitable once he's married.

Last edited:
I think that is for obvious reasons. It is his childhood home, where he spent happy years with his mum and brother growing up. All this talk about too many memories of Diana, or how the press will link it to Diana and so on and so on.....is the media. Prince William was extremely close to his mum, he gave Kate her ring, and it should not be seen as being too 'diana' for them to live in Kensington. It is his childhood home, it's natural.

Maybe he even asked for it, so they turned it into offices, which is quite easy to change back, for the time being till he married. Who knows? Especially as let's say, within the next 20 years or so Clarence House will be available. Maybe he is even created Duke of Clarence?

Title of Duke of Clarence sounds nice but has some negative associations (messed up with the fevered search for Jack the Ripper the then Duke of Clarence in 1888 was suspected: never proven of course. I don't know if PW would like that but perhaps it has been long enough?).

As for where to live: I absolutely adore Frogmore House. It is where so many photos of the family were taken early on having picnics. The place is just so very pretty. I saw interior photos ages ago in Majesty or Royalty magazine. With a bit of renovation it could be really lovely! It is white and has nice grounds and a lake it seems like before it. :wub:

Last edited:
As for where to live: I absolutely adore Frogmore House. It is where so many photos of the family was taken early on having picnics. The place is just so very pretty. I saw interior photos ages ago in Majesty or Royalty magazine. With a bit of renovation it could be really lovely! It is white and has nice grounds and a lake it seems like before it. :wub:

Frogmore is lovely, but is in Windsor and not in Central London. W&C will need a base in London as well.

Isn't St James's going be their London base after the wedding? Or was that hearsay?

Last edited:
Isn't St James's going to be their London base?

Possibly. However, it has been suggested that St James' is not a particularly attractive location, and quite dark and possibly damp. The apartment previously occupied by Charles and the boys has since been converted into office space. That said, all of this remains conjecture and speculation, and it is diffficult to tell where the couple will eventually live.

It might not mean anything but I stumbled across the website to hire apartment 1a in Kensington Palace and noticed the website states:
Apartment 1A

Contemporary former home of Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon. Available for a limited time only.

Like i say its probably nothing.

Historic Royal Palaces > Home > Hire a venue > Palaces and venues > Kensington Palace > Venues > Apartment 1A

Interesting. I also like this description:

Apartment 1A is ideal for smaller events and for those seeking a truly unique experience. The contemporary decor set inside the historic Kensington Palace creates a real sense of modern royal life.

Then, what alternatives are there, to Kensington Palace?

St. James, which is considered a bit cramped and dark.
Buckingham Palace, which is probably getting a bit crowded.
Clarence House. Would Kate really want to live with her in-laws?

KP does sound like the best alternative, especially if that is William's choice.

Then, what alternatives are there, to Kensington Palace?

St. James, which is considered a bit cramped and dark.
Buckingham Palace, which is probably getting a bit crowded.
Clarence House. Would Kate really want to live with her in-laws?

KP does sound like the best alternative, especially if that is William's choice.

KP is certainly a storng contender. The other alternative might be to turf out either Edward or Andrew from BP, offering them alternative accomodation in St James' and for William and Catherine to get an apartment at BP.

KP is certainly a storng contender. The other alternative might be to turf out either Edward or Andrew from BP, offering them alternative accomodation in St James' and for William and Catherine to get an apartment at BP.

That wouldn't be conducive to good family relationships, though. ;)

I think either Kensington Palace or Clarence House would be the better choices for an official London residence. I wouldn't go for BP yet simply because as stated earlier there are already a fair few members of the family based there & it may be a bit crowded or awkward if people had to be moved etc. But also they'll (hopefully) end up in BP one day as William will be King so I wouldn't rush to base them in BP just yet, give them perhaps a smaller office/official residence to begin with where they can enjoy the relative privacy that would offer over somewhere like BP which is like the biggest/best known of the official residences.

I think either Kensington Palace or Clarence House would be the better choices for an official London residence. I wouldn't go for BP yet simply because as stated earlier there are already a fair few members of the family based there & it may be a bit crowded or awkward if people had to be moved etc. But also they'll (hopefully) end up in BP one day as William will be King so I wouldn't rush to base them in BP just yet, give them perhaps a smaller office/official residence to begin with where they can enjoy the relative privacy that would offer over somewhere like BP which is like the biggest/best known of the official residences.

I thought KP was turning into a museum and the residences, at least Diana's, into offices? If that is the case security would be a problem as well as privacy.

It crossed my mind that perhaps the Middletons are checking out Bolehyde Manor on behalf of Prince William and Kate as a future home for the Royal couple?

It crossed my mind that perhaps the Middletons are checking out Bolehyde Manor on behalf of Prince William and Kate as a future home for the Royal couple?

Maybe. That is not a bad idea. I had assumed it was for them but you never know.

I think I read somewhere that a house is being built somewhere on the Duchy of Cornwall Estate for William and Catherine.
I think Bolehyde Manor is way to big and grand for them! They would get alot of flak in the press if they bought Bolyhyde. But then again the Queen bought country homes for all of her children as wedding gifts.....Hmmm.:huh:

Back
Top Bottom