The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I know I really don't get it, they shoulda just used the words "could move" instead of "to move" but then again this is the press we're talking about here.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd say St. James or Kensington, or Frogmore.

Weren't Fergie and Andrew orginally planning to move to Frogmore after the wedding? Maybe some apartments are move in ready for Wills and kate.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:09 PM

I had heard that Kensington is one of the places they are considering. If you scroll about half way down this page on the Daily Mail site they've got a little bit of info about it: Prince William and Kate Middleton: Bishop's Facebook slur 'I give their marriage 7 years' | Mail Online
Old 11-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Frogmore would be wonderful, but I think a little too big. They'll probably end up at Kensington or St. James. Although, I would think St. James would be a nice fit for them. Kensington might have too many "Diana" memories. But who knows, we'll have to wait and see. I think it's going to be nice for them to be a "normal" married couple while William finishes his RAF duty. Kind of like the Queen and Prince Phillip has some time alone when they first got married.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 AM
Majesty

The problem with Frogmore is that it is at Windsor so they would still need a London base. Andrew, Anne and Edward all have apartments at BP and Beatrice at St James, as there other homes are out of London.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Nobility

Also, Frogmore is mainly used for receptions these days and might need some conversion to make it a private residence, if I am correct.

It also seems to me that Kensington Palace is slowly moving away from residence to historical palace. My guess at this point is that they would move into apartments at St. James Palace, which is an older building but still conveniently located and has space available.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Aristocracy

No real guess as to their london base... but these two articles seem to make us beleive that their future country home will be Harewood Park...(After he is done with the RAF of course)

Revealed: The renovated estate that was meant to be Prince William and Kate's lovenest | Mail Online

Kate Middleton and Prince William will live an ultra green royal fairytale | Mail Online
Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent

I suspect KP is a contender, though query whether an apartment at BP can be found for W&C
Old 02-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Buckingham Palace and Id love Hapton Court
Old 02-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

St James' seems a likely place.
Hampton Court is interesting, it hasn't been inhabited by royals since the 18th Century.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Royal Highness

I read that St. James' Palace is in dire need of repairs and that one really feels that the building is very, very old: musty smells and no sunshine. No place to bring up kids, obviously. I wouldn't wonder if there weren't some really rooms set aside for William after he was born or at least after his parent's marriage collapsed. Surely there were some grace and favour apartments which became available since his birth which are sunny, have entrance to a garden and can be easily potected? It's not as if nobody ever thought about William getting married some day....
Old 02-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm sure they've picked somewhere for him to live, even if it's highgrove.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I'm sure they've picked somewhere for him to live, even if it's highgrove.
My bet is on KP for a London based residence. IIRC, I read somewhere where Kate and William were looking into moving into #8 and #9 in KP.. the old apartments where Diana lived with the boys after her divorce. It seems there's a nice area for kids to play and I imagine it has a lot of good memories for William too.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I thought her apartments were turned into offices?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I thought her apartments were turned into offices?
Went snooping around and found the article I read. Its just a bit of a supposition rather than fact and the apartments are offices just as you state.

Prince William to move into Kensington Palace - Female First
Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I read an article a while back about Princess Margarets apartments and Diana's. That hers were being turned into offices, whilst Margarets were being kept almost museum like. I suppose it would be easy to turn them back, but that would add to all the talk about the new triangle.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Aristocracy

I read somewhere (will try & track it down) that Kate had visited KP to have a look around at apartments there, saw Diana's & Princess Margaret's old rooms & preferred PM's. Read that they were all ready to go with that choice & refurbish PM's old rooms, 1A I think they were in the article I read, in KP. Can't remember where I read that or whether it was an even vaguely trustworthy news source, will try & find it.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
I read somewhere (will try & track it down) that Kate had visited KP to have a look around at apartments there, saw Diana's & Princess Margaret's old rooms & preferred PM's. Read that they were all ready to go with that choice & refurbish PM's old rooms, 1A I think they were in the article I read, in KP. Can't remember where I read that or whether it was an even vaguely trustworthy news source, will try & find it.
I doubt it. Apartment 1A is part of the Kensington Palace Museum and from what I remember from the palace's homepage, it's integrated into the exhibit now - so I doubt they would re-privasite it. I thought it was just a fast article written after a short visit to the palaces webpage in order to fill space at the paper...
Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post

I read the same thing. I don't remember where, either.
It also said that William preferred Kensington to St. James.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I read the same thing. I don't remember where, either.
It also said that William preferred Kensington to St. James.
I think that is for obvious reasons. It is his childhood home, where he spent happy years with his mum and brother growing up. All this talk about too many memories of Diana, or how the press will link it to Diana and so on and so on.....is the media. Prince William was extremely close to his mum, he gave Kate her ring, and it should not be seen as being too 'diana' for them to live in Kensington. It is his childhood home, it's natural.