The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Only no announcement was made. Just a speculation on the part of DM and other newspapers.
we have to wait for an announecement to confirm

Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Gentry

If I remember correctly, Telegraph (or was it DM ) reported around the time of William's 30th birthday that the Queen gave him a cottage on Sandringham as present. I wonder what happened to that "present". Or was the royal source wrong...again

Update: I went to google. Anyway, it was DM, although Telegraph did have a story based on the DM article.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ndringham.html
The article was by Katie Nicholl, so I guess it cannot be trusted.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Serene Highness

Now that Catherine is pregnant , it would make sense for HM to give the couple a larger and 'grand' home on the grounds of Sandringham.

The old cottage wasn't befitting of someone's of William's stature. Catherine and William are senior members of the BRF
Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Re the Telegraph article, it states that the story comes from " a source on the Sandringham Estate" and ends with A Buckingham Palace Spokesman saying that do not comment on private property matters" plus the fact the existing lease runs out in 2017.

This is pure speculation and therefore not worth very much except that has launched the hate brigade in comment sections.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

I guess it is another of those non-stories picked up by Katie Nicholls when she recently drank some rounds at the local pub next to Sandringham with those estate workers - like the one about the spoilt movie evening. Wonder what else those drunkards working at Sandringham farm told her!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Majesty

Due to security reasons, it's not easy for senior and high profile members of the royal family to find homes. I do think The Queen will be helpful on the Cambridges country home.

I think the main residence we will hear about for the Cambridges at this time will be Kensington Palace. Then later on I suspect we will hear about them looking for a country residence.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Royal Highness

Looking at the photos of this apartment in Kensington, I immediately feel a twinge of envy, a twinge of sympathy, and something vicarious. I don't so much envy the spaciousness and the grandeur (although it does make me go "wow"), it's the excitement and wonder of the pregnancy and first baby and the ability to remodel and decorate this big place to suit them and their family. They don't even realize what's coming. I can just picture some playhouse or log cabin in that huge drawing room. I can see little vehicles pedaled around that marble floor. I hope they leave one cabinet in that kitchen open and that baby's own cabinet, filled with plastic plates, plastic foods, etc. It would be nice if Harry finds his soul mate fairly quickly, and the cousins could all grow up together, in relative peace and safety on the grounds, running from house to house, in and out all day long, like other kids do with their friends.

But then there's the sympathy. They can't remain in this place forever. I think children, and their parents, find a stability and a comfort in remaining in the same place their whole lives. Children don't like to move. We expect the Queen and Charles to have the longevity of the Queen Mother, but the fact is they themselves are elderly. We don't know what's coming and when it's coming. I don't think anyone wants to live in Buckingham Palace. Hopefully Will and Kate won't move in there until their kids are grown.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Due to security reasons, it's not easy for senior and high profile members of the royal family to find homes. I do think The Queen will be helpful on the Cambridges country home.

I think the main residence we will hear about for the Cambridges at this time will be Kensington Palace. Then later on I suspect we will hear about them looking for a country residence.
I don't think that a property on Sandringham Estate would be their own country place. It's too far from London. I think it would be somewhere for them to base themselves when staying there with their children.

I can't find it now but I read yesterday that William is looking for a country place in and around Hampshire or Berkshire. easy driving distance to London. this is exactly what Charles and Anne did when married with children.

Of course as the Cambridge's are low profile at the moment and there is no actual news or pictures, this could all be a work of fiction.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I don't think that a property on Sandringham Estate would be their own country place. It's too far from London. I think it would be somewhere for them to base themselves when staying there with their children.

I can't find it now but I read yesterday that William is looking for a country place in and around Hampshire or Berkshire. easy driving distance to London. this is exactly what Charles and Anne did when married with children.

Of course as the Cambridge's are low profile at the moment and there is no actual news or pictures, this could all be a work of fiction.
Maybe Gloucestershire as a country place?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Majesty

Yeah I know, that's why I'm thinking their country estate would be a bit closer to London.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Now that Catherine is pregnant , it would make sense for HM to give the couple a larger and 'grand' home on the grounds of Sandringham.

The old cottage wasn't befitting of someone's of William's stature. Catherine and William are senior members of the BRF
The word cottage to the BRF does not necessarily mean the same thing as it might to other people. George V lived and raised his family at York Cottage on the Sandringham estate until Queen Alexandra died and he was able to move to the big house. If you find a picture of it you can see that the "cottage" isnt exactly a small place.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Serene Highness

I agree. I just hope W&C are givirn some privacy from the press, considering Sandringham is a private estate.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Courtier

York Cottage

http://www.cardcow.com/images/set421/card00163_fr.jpg
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Majesty

What I find interesting is that Charles was never given a 'cottage' on the Sandringham estate - presumably because he had Highgrove.

Norfolk isn't all that far from London by the way. Sandringham is 152 kms from London so should be able to be driven in about 2 hours.

London to Highgrove is actually further at 159 kms and takes about 2 hours to drive as well.

I do think that is about the right distance for them.

Berkshire is still very close to London (and is where Windsor is).
Old 01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
What I find interesting is that Charles was never given a 'cottage' on the Sandringham estate - presumably because he had Highgrove.

Norfolk isn't all that far from London by the way. Sandringham is 152 kms from London so should be able to be driven in about 2 hours.

London to Highgrove is actually further at 159 kms and takes about 2 hours to drive as well.

I do think that is about the right distance for them.

Berkshire is still very close to London (and is where Windsor is).
It's not the distance, it's the quality of the roads. Fast roads to Gloucestershire and definitely not fast roads to Sandringham. I would estimate 2 hours to Highgrove and more like 3.5 hours to Sandringham.

Berkshire/Hampshire is close and easy driving to London, Windsor and Buckleberry. also close to friends and wider family. Sandringham is really quite remote.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Majesty

I have driven from Central London to Sandringham in 2.5 hours and I didn't know the roads or anything - the roads were fine (like highways here).

If I can do it in 2.5 then there is no way that someone who drives it regularly would take that long.

159 kms is hardly any distance at all and the roads in England are very good - even the B roads are great. I don't think I came across unsealed roads at all or anywhere where the roads were poor quality - narrow in places but not on the road that I took to Sandringham as I was on the M roads and A roads until the final stretch into Sandringham itself and that road was about the same quality of the road I drove when travelling the 200 kms to my parents and I do that drive in 2.5 hours.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Serene Highness

Will Kate and Wills be handed mansion where Charles and Camilla enjoyed secret trysts? Queen 'earmarks' huge country house for couple | Mail Online
Quote:
Will Kate and Wills be handed mansion where Charles and Camilla enjoyed secret trysts? Queen 'earmarks' huge country house for couple
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Aristocracy

They also talked about a big house that Prince Charles was completely renovating to be more green, near highgrove if I remember... and he was planning to give it to William after he married... so there has been lots of remours. I will wait until it is announced liked KP apartment 1A was.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
So as far as the country homes, we've got:

1) 2 possible sites on the Sandringham estate (from HM)
2) 1 that Charles is renovating for his son and wife
3) 1 William himself is looking into for a getaway home.

TBH, I think the most logical scenario is that William and Kate purchase a home close to near where William will be stationed if/when he leaves RAF Valley in Anglesy. London at KP for times on duty and a country home for everyday life and raising a family. That's plenty enough I think. I really don't see them spending a lot of time in the Sandringham area unless by chance that is where William is stationed.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Serene Highness

I think W&C will buy their own home, no baggage , no history and it will be theirs and their children's