The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-11-2011, 01:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Absolutely, a fair trade-off for peace of mind, I would imagine.

I agree. Yes, it is costly but the security needs are very important.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Commoner

I think, too, that what is 'normal' for us (maybe an alarm system for our home) is quite different from what the Royals would consider 'normal' (bullet proof glass, armed security on-site). I'm sure that William (and now Kate) do consider that they are living in a 'normal' home, maybe even a 'simple' one, given the supposed lack of a large domestic staff.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Quitealot View Post
I think, too, that what is 'normal' for us (maybe an alarm system for our home) is quite different from what the Royals would consider 'normal' (bullet proof glass, armed security on-site). I'm sure that William (and now Kate) do consider that they are living in a 'normal' home, maybe even a 'simple' one, given the supposed lack of a large domestic staff.
"normal" for them would be "exentric" for us I gues, but I am sure William had all his life extreme security anywhere where he goes or live regarding her domestic staff I am sure it is more than we imagine, consider that the house had been probably modified for security and guards I am sure they have plenty domestic staff and quaters for them!!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Aristocracy

FYI - Asbestos is really only a concern when it is disturbed. The fine fibers are dangerous when breathed in. If it's not disturbed then it doesn't cause issues. Of course, the ideal situation is to remove it altogether due to the threat of it being accidentally disturbed.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd think given the fact that the Duke and Duchess intend KP to be a family residence, they wouldn't want any of their children, not just themselves, exposed to asbestos whether dormant or not.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Aristocracy

The need for removal has arisen due to the major renovations required. Once it is disturbed it needs to be removed and can be expensive and arduous...a fact that could possibly explain the rather extended project timeframe.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Aristocracy

I believe they also had things planned to happen at KP so that affected it. I even saw something about the Russian and KP for the Olympics.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfAster View Post
I believe they also had things planned to happen at KP so that affected it. I even saw something about the Russian and KP for the Olympics.
Interesting move.

Queen rents Olympic venue to Russians - Telegraph
Old 12-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

There are a lot of plans for Kensington lately. The Olympics , William and Kate moving in, Harry moving in, and William and Harry turning Diana's apartments into a charity office and reception area... All of these changes are for the good imo.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Heir Apparent

My last office building had asbestos when I bought it in 1992. I had it remediated and it took a month, with five men working, to pull it out. Set me back a small fortune. I had a choice, I could have had it sealed, but thought the monetary outlay would be worth something when it came time to sell. I sold the building in 2005 to the first offer. They wanted a building that had already been remediated and paid a premium due to that fact.

I really don't want anyone to live with the threat of asbestos hanging over their heads (or under their feet). Stability can deteriorate without anyone knowing.

This KP renovation is waaaaay overdue.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Majesty

Tell me about the cost of getting rid of asbestos. I have a house that is totally built from fibro (asbestos sheeting) and I am demolishing it. To demolish the same size house built in weatherboard (wood) would have cost me about $AUS3,000 and take about two days but the total cost will be $AUS15,000 and take over a week.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Tell me about the cost of getting rid of asbestos. I have a house that is totally built from fibro (asbestos sheeting) and I am demolishing it. To demolish the same size house built in weatherboard (wood) would have cost me about $AUS3,000 and take about two days but the total cost will be $AUS15,000 and take over a week.
I thought I read that it will take until 2013 for the renovations at Kennsington Palace to be done. How long will it take for your home Iluvbertie? You must be so excited and overwhelmed all at the same time!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Nobility

Hello, if you want to see a little the future apartment of Kate and William. Here are some photos from the time Princess Margaret occupied the 1A apartment.

Kate and William’s Future Kensington Palace Apartment « The Royal Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Majesty

I'm guessing when the Cambridges are in London they go over to their apartment and check on things. Must be working on that nursery now.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
Hello, if you want to see a little the future apartment of Kate and William. Here are some photos from the time Princess Margaret occupied the 1A apartment.

Kate and William’s Future Kensington Palace Apartment « The Royal Post
Is that what royalty considers an "apartment"

I'd love to see them march in jauntily to the theme music of the Jeffersons. Do you think Will could strut in like Sherman Helmsley?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Is that what royalty considers an "apartment"

I'd love to see them march in jauntily to the theme music of the Jeffersons. Do you think Will could strut in like Sherman Helmsley?
I guess any building that has rooms that have been broken up into various living quarters can be called "apartments" but when considering the vast size of them, its not the usual image that most call to mind when hearing that word.

I had to laugh thinking of Wills and Kate as George and Weezy. Hmmm.. Prince Lionel sounds good though. NO one can do that strut though better than Sherman Helmsley though. It was his trademark and it will be missed.

Perhaps this discussion the Cambridge's new apartment in KP should be moved to the KP thread?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I guess any building that has rooms that have been broken up into various living quarters can be called "apartments" but when considering the vast size of them, its not the usual image that most call to mind when hearing that word.

I had to laugh thinking of Wills and Kate as George and Weezy. Hmmm.. Prince Lionel sounds good though. NO one can do that strut though better than Sherman Helmsley though. It was his trademark and it will be missed.

Perhaps this discussion the Cambridge's new apartment in KP should be moved to the KP thread?
That would be very funny to see them dancing to 'The Jefferson's' theme song while moving into their new apartment.

I agree, Sherman will be missed.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

The term "Royal apartments" is of long standing and refers to those parts of a palace/castle where the monarch stayed - rather than the public rooms, general offices, kitchens stores or (in more troubled times) the fortifications.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Where should I put this one?
Queen has 'earmarked' country house on Sandringham estate for William and Kate | Mail Online
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
If the article is true, William and Kate will only get the house in 2017 at the earliest. What is the point of this royal source leak?

« Kew Palace | - »