The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 AM
Royal Highness

William and Kate benefit from Kensington Palace U-turn - Telegraph

An interesting article. Somewhere on the internet, when Kensington Palace was dicussed, there used to be a link towards a page, which showed that Apartment 1A (well, some rooms of it) were open to the public as part of the Kensington Palace Museum. Later, these informations were removed, when they closed the Palace for renovation and used only some rooms for the exhibition "Enchanted Palace".They only offered some rooms as rental rooms for events.

So my guess is that the Queen after Margaret's death had no further use for the apartment and gave it to the museum but got it back now that the Royal family has developped and need arose. No big deal, as it wasn't used as a display of Royal life in the 60ties any longer. It's not as if daily hundreds of visitors to the museum enjoyed the walled garden who are now shut out.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Aristocracy

The apartment has 20 bedrooms, something any young couple starting out in marriage needs!

Old 11-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Nobility

Well, considering those twenty rooms consists of EVERY major room in the apartment, I think it's big enough besides by that time they will be thinking about having or will have a child hopefully. Anyway, if it were a house it would be a very nice size house. Very large plus the four floors thing. But anyway.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
There's always the possibility that Charles will want to keep Clarence House as his London base, once King...
Thats what I was going to say. William And Catherine don't have to move to Clarence House. They may really love Kensington Palace and just stay until he ascends the throne. That would be perfectly fine. It has plenty of space. If they begin to feel crowded, they can move somewhere else.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Royal Highness

IIRC the belle-etage of Princess Margaret's apartment consisted of a private and an official dining-room, a lounge, a living-room, Margaret's salon, Snowdon's study and another room. Downstairs was the kitchen and Margaret's garden room, a conservatory and the garden. Plus some work rooms for staff. So in the two upper stories must have been bedrooms plus bathrooms, the nursery etc. If you want to use your home for private and official receptions, it's just the right size.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Nobility

As they also want to have their offices at Kensington, some of the rooms might be used for that.

For me it sounds like they plan to stay in Kensington Palace till Will becomes King. - With Kids and in not too far future beeing THE prince of Wales - it's a sound decision - so they won't need more moving around (which is a costly thing)
Old 11-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
As they also want to have their offices at Kensington, some of the rooms might be used for that.

For me it sounds like they plan to stay in Kensington Palace till Will becomes King. - With Kids and in not too far future beeing THE prince of Wales - it's a sound decision - so they won't need more moving around (which is a costly thing)
Agreed. With costly renovations being made to the apartment (heating, plumbing, rewiring, security updates and any needed structural repairs) it makes sense for the Cambridges to remain in one residence for as long as possible.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

The DM is already stirring up superstitious nonsense about the curse of Kensington:

Kate Middleton and the curse of Kensington Palace: Can she escape? | Mail Online
Old 11-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, that's certainly an interesting history lesson about KP which I read with interest, but the story is obviously written for the usual objective of attracting readers. Makes you wonder, though, if they're hoping for some ghoulish circumstances to befall Will and Kate to really bump up readership.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Well, that's certainly an interesting history lesson about KP which I read with interest, but the story is obviously written for the usual objective of attracting readers. Makes you wonder, though, if they're hoping for some ghoulish circumstances to befall Will and Kate to really bump up readership.

Of course they probably are doing just that.
Considering the number of people who've lived at KP, it would be strange if there weren't some tragedies!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, in its long 300-year history you do have to expect a certain amount of unfortunate circumstances to take place, including having a resident ghost. If only the DM didn't sound like it's waiting for the axe to fall on Will and Kate just because there's supposedly a "curse" on KP.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
If the DM ever took a look at the history of Windosr and its many centuries of residents they would probably launch a campaign to tear the place down because lots of bad things happened to people there too, lol.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Right, any place that's several hundred years old will have its share of joy and sorrow in its long history, and KP is no exception. Britain is riddled with ancient homes that have curses, tragedies, supposed hauntings, deaths, what have you. And happy events as well, I would wager. So the tabloids do need to give it a rest and not act like KP is the only residence that's experienced misfortune.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Nobility

I couldn't helping but take note that some of the "tragic" women of Kensington Palace died of the result of poor medical care, which was common for the time. Just because Kate will be living in Kensington Palace doesn't mean that she is doomed to suffer like them.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually it is an interesting article about the past history and residents of KP, and those poor ladies were definitely doomed because of the medical practices of the times. But this is a new day and age, and I'm sure the DM wishes the couple health, happiness and serenity in their new domicile.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Actually it is an interesting article about the past history and residents of KP, and those poor ladies were definitely doomed because of the medical practices of the times. But this is a new day and age, and I'm sure the DM wishes the couple health, happiness and serenity in their new domicile.
But if Will and Kate live happily ever after, whatever will the Daily Mail do to sell papers?
Old 11-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Go bankrupt, I expect!!
Old 12-10-2011, 03:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

I had a british friend home for dinner to night and talking about the royals he told me the house where they live while he is working in wales it is not such a "normal house" like the newspapers are selling, it happen that he lives next city to them and he said the security is incredible and the house has the windows with such thick glasses bullet prove, etc.....
Old 12-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

That doesn't surprise me at all; there's no doubt the farmhouse had to be customized for added security with bullet-proof windows and all other alarm features that we can't even imagine in the event of attack or attempted kidnapping. I also had heard that the outer buildings on the property housed the security guards. Not so normal a standard of life, after all, I would think.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
That doesn't surprise me at all; there's no doubt the farmhouse had to be customized for added security with bullet-proof windows and all other alarm features that we can't even imagine in the event of attack or attempted kidnapping. I also had heard that the outer buildings on the property housed the security guards. Not so normal a standard of life, after all, I would think.
Preparing a residence with tight security measures is something that all the royals have grown up with and are used to by now. From what I've read, this has happened with any residence that William has lived in whether a university dorm, their rented quarters during the school years and anywhere else that William has lived. I believe that this was also done for Charles during his educational period too if I'm not mistaken.

Best to be safe rather than sorry.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Best to be safe rather than sorry.
Absolutely, a fair trade-off for peace of mind, I would imagine.