The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Why on earth would William want to move into a new home with a statue of his mother outside. Much as Princess Margaret may have viewed the idea with distaste, I think it even worse outside William's home conjuring, as it does, images of memorials and homage to an idol.

However, let's get some perspective here. He is being challenged by the Mail, (the Mail, I ask you?) to fulfil a dream (his?) to replace the statue of his namesake, William III, with a statue of his mother, 14 years after the fact.

The dreams of a 15 year old boy and a 29 year old man may differ significantly. However, even if he was so disposed, I believe he would need the Queen's permission and somehow I don't think it would be forthcoming.
Royals and many other families with important histories are used to have their homes filled with photos, paintings and sculptures and statues of their ancestors. For them it is not strange and they see themselves as the next in line and their own children as continuing the family.

Whether it actually happens we will have to wait and see but William has lived his entire life surrounded by his ancestors to one more will not disturb his equilibrium.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I had a thought when I read about the asbestos removal needed in this apartment: wouldn't Princess Margaret have been exposed to this at the time she was living there? Just wondering.
The health risks of asbestos was not known until fairly recently. If you live in an older home you are surrounded by it.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
R
Whether it actually happens we will have to wait and see but William has lived his entire life surrounded by his ancestors to one more will not disturb his equilibrium.
Oh, I'm quite sure he will place a picture of his mother in a silver frame somewhere on a desk or table. But I doubt he will want to remove the statue of a former king and replace it with a statue of his mother. Even though she was his mother, she was not longer a member of the RF and a HRH. Yes, I know he is said to have said that one day he would restore the HRH-title for Diana, but back then he was a young boy. Today he is the heir of the heir to the throne and must be very aware of the position his grandmother took when it ame to the divorces and that frm that perspective it is unthinkable to change the statues. Mother or not.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Also, who exactly would pay for this sculpture? Donations were already made to build that awful fountain so it would be pushing the boundaries of taste to ask the public for more money. A large bronze sculpture would be very expensive. I somehow don't see William shelling out upwards of £100k of his own money to erect a stature of his mother.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I somehow don't see William shelling out upwards of £100k of his own money to erect a stature of his mother.
If it is his idea to erect a statue in his mothers honour, and he chooses to do this, then he should pay for it. And I am sure he will be willing to, if it is his dream.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I would think Harry will simply follow William, and move into Margaret's place once William removes to Clarence House.
There's always the possibility that Charles will want to keep Clarence House as his London base, once King, if the rumors about him not wanting to use BP are true. Further, it might make more sense (in order to minimize moving) to put Harry in Clarence House if Charles vacates it. That way Harry just keeps CH permanently and, one day, W&K move directly from KP to BP. The scenarios are nearly endless! (Wish I had these problems )
Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If Charles doesn't use BP as his main home, then he won't use CH. He'll use Windsor. Clarence is too small to be his main residence.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Royal Highness

Of course it is normal to have pictures and little reminders or gifts from your family around you,but a statue is different than a photo on the wall or a hand-painted picture.If the daily mail writes about this I don´t take it serious,they write so much stuff everyday and not even half of it is true or just completely insignificant.I hope this is just another one of their silly stories-as much as I adore and respect Princess Diana,I don´t think that Catherine should put up with constantly living in the shadows of Williams mother.They are both exceptional women but I believe that Catherine should be allowed to create her own image and be the kind of person she wants to be instead of trying to copy Diana or being forced to be like her.(Thinking about it, I am reminded of the story of "Rebecca" in which the dead wife continues to haunt the new bride...scary!)
Old 11-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Royals and many other families with important histories are used to have their homes filled with photos, paintings and sculptures and statues of their ancestors. For them it is not strange and they see themselves as the next in line and their own children as continuing the family.

If William was that keen on having a statue of his mother, I am sure one would have been installed at Highgrove by now!
Old 11-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
If William was that keen on having a statue of his mother, I am sure one would have been installed at Highgrove by now!
At highgrove? That's the last place I would ever assume a statue being built, considering it's Charles' pride and joy.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Royal Highness

This is just too weird,I think Charles is the last person on the planet who would like to have a Diana statue in his garden!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Nobility

To put things in perspective, William III was the monarch who acquired Kensington Palace and turned it into a royal residence. Besides William, it was also the childhood home of Queen Victoria. Prince Philip's grandmother, the Marchioness of Milford Haven, also lived there towards the end of her life. The site has had an extensive royal history long before Diana arrived on the scene and it would be short-sighted to forget about them. Of course, the Daily Mail can be counted on being short-sighted.

Besides, there's already a memorial playground at Kensington that is dedicated to Diana's memory. If people really want a statue, I think it would be more appropriate at the existing memorials.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
There's always the possibility that Charles will want to keep Clarence House as his London base, once King, if the rumors about him not wanting to use BP are true. Further, it might make more sense (in order to minimize moving) to put Harry in Clarence House if Charles vacates it. That way Harry just keeps CH permanently and, one day, W&K move directly from KP to BP. The scenarios are nearly endless! (Wish I had these problems )
CH has been renovated and with the larger apartments at KP being renovated then these residences can possibly be used far into the future for King Charles and his family. As the Queen's cousins are also occupying apartments at KP perhaps having more of the palace filled by full time royals is a cost saving measure for the future. There would be fewer residences to protect if more members of the family are housed at KP as their London base. Also any retrofitting for the apartments can bring them up to date in regards to heating, electrical needs etc..while maintaining a historic site.

Perhaps Buckingham Palace will become like the royal palaces in Madrid and Amsterdam with a primary function of being a museum/reception/banquet facility for the BRF and the UK government rather than a residence/office for the family.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The health risks of asbestos was not known until fairly recently. If you live in an older home you are surrounded by it.
Well, yes, I realize that, but I was just wondering how much of PM's health could have been compromised living in a dwelling containing asbestos. Not having been aware of the risks meant she was unwittingly exposed to them, even though her health suffered due to heavy cigarette smoking. Breathing in asbestos could have further exacerbated her overall condition, IMO.

And it definitely seems the Daily Mail is trying to stir the pot up by almost daring William to erect a statue of his mother at KP.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
At highgrove? That's the last place I would ever assume a statue being built, considering it's Charles' pride and joy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
This is just too weird,I think Charles is the last person on the planet who would like to have a Diana statue in his garden!
That was just a tongue-in-cheek comment. I really do think that if William wanted a statue of Diana, he can stick it in his home, whether it be KP or in Wales.

As to whether a statue of Diana needs to be commissioned for a public place, a high powered committee chaired by then Chancellor Gordon Brown and comprising amongst others, members of the Spencer family, looked into a befitting memorial for the former Princess and decided on the fountain. I would be surprised if there were any further public memorials of Diana.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

And if a public Diana statue is really considered, an appropriate place would be the memorial park as well, IMO.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

As to whether a statue of Diana needs to be commissioned for a public place, a high powered committee chaired by then Chancellor Gordon Brown and comprising amongst others, members of the Spencer family, looked into a befitting memorial for the former Princess and decided on the fountain. I would be surprised if there were any further public memorials of Diana.
The fountain, playground, and walk are fitting memorials to the Princess. I'm sure William, Harry, and all of Diana's loved one's have photos and mementos of her. There really isn't a need for a statue. The DM article is pure nonsense. It was probably a slow day and an article on the royals had to be written.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Agreed, I'm sure there are enough memorials to Diana that will keep her constantly in the forefront of everyone's mind.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is Margret's apartment the biggest? I thought the biggest apartment belonged to the Michaels of Kent. Anyway Kate will need an interior decorator to modernize the place a bit.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Commoner

Princess Margaret's former Apt 1A has often been referred to as the "grandest" of he Royal Apartments at Kensington Palace, apart from the State Apartments. Once of the elements that was "perhaps" appealing to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge was the private walled garden that adjoins the palace.

Prince and Princess Michael's apartment (no. 10) is not that large by royal standards.

« Kew Palace | - »