Buckingham palace

why don't all the British royals live their

Old 06-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar bobo Iv View Post
why don't all the British royals live their
From what I've read about Buckingham Palace is that as expansive as it is, you'd need a good pair of roller blades or a small mini bike to "zip" to the kitchen for a midnight snack. Its HUGE!

Although the Queen and the DoE reside there during the week (its easier to think of BP as the "office of the Firm", from Thursday until Monday, they're primarily at Windsor Castle unless at Sandringham over the Christmas holidays or Balmoral in the summer. I believe Anne, Andrew and Edward still have apartments there that they can use while in London too.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Courtier

I think Anne actually has an apartment at St James' Palace but having seen her being interviewed at Buckingham Palace I think she must have an office there.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
From what I've read about Buckingham Palace is that as expansive as it is, you'd need a good pair of roller blades or a small mini bike to "zip" to the kitchen for a midnight snack. Its HUGE!

Although the Queen and the DoE reside there during the week (its easier to think of BP as the "office of the Firm", from Thursday until Monday, they're primarily at Windsor Castle unless at Sandringham over the Christmas holidays or Balmoral in the summer. I believe Anne, Andrew and Edward still have apartments there that they can use while in London too.
Funny you should make this point, Osipi, as on the ITV documentary about the Queen last night, Prince Andrew showed the corridor at BP where he and his brother used to play as children. He said they never broke anything (amazingly); but the reason they played there is that it was a mile long walk from their rooms in Buckingham Palace to the garden! Understandably, they sometimes couldn't be bothered to walk that far to play outside, so they played along the hallway amid the priceless antiques.

I suppose us normal folk don't think about how big these palaces are and how long it would take to walk from one side of the building to the other.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 PM

Hello. This is my first post on here. I just wanted to say that I am booked on a tour of the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace on June 30th and I am so excited! Has anyone else on here been inside the Palace? What was your experience?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen in bed after the birth of Prince Edward.
In the Belgian Suite, I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	article-2145520-00051AB700000258-682_634x596.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	286077  
Old 10-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Majesty

Peter Hunt‏@BBCPeterHunt
Take Two -- a pink palace in support of @BCCampaign (Pix Ian West/PA Wire)Twitter / BBCPeterHunt: Take Two -- a pink palace in ...

http://www.breastcancercampaign.org/
Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Majesty

I like that Her Majesty gave some commentary about Investitures.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Majesty

This was The Duchess of Cambridge's First Official Garden Party 2012:
Old 02-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I often wondered if any of the fireplaces at Buckingham Palace are still used?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Majesty

In Fine Style: The Arts of Tudor and Stuart Fashion:
The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace:
May 10th - October 6th 2013

"This exhibition explores the sumptuous costume of British monarchs and their court during the 16th and 17th centuries through portraits in the Royal Collection. During this period fashion was central to court life and was an important way to display social status. Royalty and the elite were the tastemakers of the day, often directly influencing the styles of fashionable clothing.

In Fine Style follows the changing fashions of the period, demonstrates the spread of styles internationally and shows how clothing could convey important messages. Including works by Hans Holbein the Younger, Nicholas Hilliard, Van Dyck and Peter Lely, the exhibition brings together over 60 paintings, as well as drawings, garments, jewellery, accessories and armour."

In Fine Style: The Art of Tudor and Stuart Fashion | Royal Collection Trust

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-04-2013, 12:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I often wondered if any of the fireplaces at Buckingham Palace are still used?
Yes, they are still used by The Queen and members of her family. Many of the fireplaces at the royal residences are still used, especially when they are entertaining guest.

The Queen is known to use an electric heater on regular days though.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Nobility

I really do wish BP would be opened to the public for more of the year - the tourist revenues could go directly towards the 30 million palace maintenance backlog - it has been deferred for long enough as it is.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yes, they are still used by The Queen and members of her family. Many of the fireplaces at the royal residences are still used, especially when they are entertaining guest.

The Queen is known to use an electric heater on regular days though.
Thanks,I knew about the other Palaces but just thought with London being such a built up area that fireplaces at Buckingham Palace wouldn't be used.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I really do wish BP would be opened to the public for more of the year - the tourist revenues could go directly towards the 30 million palace maintenance backlog - it has been deferred for long enough as it is.
It wouldn't go directly to finance the repairs unless The Queen set up a separate fund with donations.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It wouldn't go directly to finance the repairs unless The Queen set up a separate fund with donations.
I know - that's why I said it could do.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Majesty

But the rooms that are open to the public are also used almost weekly and many times a week for official engagements so it isn't possible to open them to the public - unless they were to cut back the receptions etc in these rooms and that would disappoint the people who attend them.

So far in June the following people have held a function at BP - The Queen, Charles, Andrew, Edward and Anne in the form of Garden Parties, Dinners, Receptions (formal occasions where a lot of people are present), Lunches, Investitures, Meetings and Receiveds (usually where one or two people are 'received by' a royal). A quick count has BP used for the above functions by royals other than The Queen on 15 days out of 26 in June. These events would have to be moved elsewhere to accomodate opening the palace more often as well as the disruption to the family that live there which is not just The Queen and Philip but it is also the London base for Andrew, Edward and Anne.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

ISnt the Queens Gallery and the Stables open nearly all year - or have I imagined that?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ok, so call in a logistics and space planner to maximize tourist revenue while utilizing other parts of the building. Then let them plan needed renovations - again maximizing utility/revenue while minimizing loss space time. We have done so much of this in the states, we could do it in our sleep. Of course, we have far less heritage to honor. I'm being cheeky!

Tags
castles, homes, palaces, residences, royal residences

« Windsor Castle | - »