The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I am not fussed if he does move it all to Windsor, but what about the other family members who use Buckingham Palace as their base? I believe Edward and Sophie, as well as Andrew, all have apartments in Buckingham Palace. What would become of their apartments?
I don't think having Windsor as the monarchs main home would impact on that. Even the monarch would probably still keep a suite at BP for when it was necessary to stay the night in the capital. It is not as if there is any suggestion to close the place down, just to have Charles family home at Windsor. As the reign of Charles III is expected to be short it is even possible that William V and Queen Catherine might decide that they prefer city life and would want BP as their main residence.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I am not fussed if he does move it all to Windsor, but what about the other family members who use Buckingham Palace as their base? I believe Edward and Sophie, as well as Andrew, all have apartments in Buckingham Palace. What would become of their apartments?

Now, why do I suspect that Charles has already thought about that?
(It might be one reason for his decision).

But I've often read that Windsor is the preferred dwelling for most of the RF; the Queen mostly grew up there and, as she ages, spends most of her time there.

Besides, years ago it was true that the RF needed a place in the center of London, but with the city growing, Windsor really is quite close. I see no reason why Charles shouldn't move there if he wants to.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Commoner

I've found an interesting photo of a room in buckingham palace :

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/C...7-e49eeb71ba09

Can anyone tell what exactly room is it ? imo it's one of the rooms in belgian suite but I might be wrong
Old 02-12-2012, 04:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Servant wanted to run the Royal bath: Buckingham Palace seeks housekeeping assistant for important role | Mail Online
Old 02-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Heir Apparent

An unforgettable 'opportunity', but what dreadful pay. If you're employed by the royal household you're definitly doing it for the experience and not the money. Especially for a 40 hour week. I can't begin to imagine such a dismal salary!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would be fairly certain that the job comes with full room and board. Given that this is probably the most exclusive part of central London, the room and board is probably worth at least £10k per year.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm glad someone has commented on royal household position salaries, as I've often thought them low. But being from the US and not understanding the dynamics of uk economies I was unsure.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

The reason that the salaries within the royal household are low is that most of them include free accommodation and meals. No doubt the room they're given isn't huge, but it's slap bang in the middle of the poshest bit of London and privately renting the equivalent room would cost, I would guess, at least £500 per month. Add on to that transport costs, food, heating, electricity etc etc and it becomes a considerable sum.

On top of all that, being able to put on your resume that you worked within the royal household is a huge boost to anyone's career, particularly within the hospitality sector.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

It may not be the poshest job, but it certainly has the toniest address! "Oh, cabbie, just drop me off at Buck Palace, if you please."
Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfPomerania View Post
I've found an interesting photo of a room in buckingham palace :

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/C...7-e49eeb71ba09

Can anyone tell what exactly room is it ? imo it's one of the rooms in belgian suite but I might be wrong
I think you maybe right.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I would be fairly certain that the job comes with full room and board. Given that this is probably the most exclusive part of central London, the room and board is probably worth at least £10k per year.
Full rabbit hole and board. The employee's quaters are known to be more compact than they are necessarily comfortable.

Quote:

The reason that the salaries within the royal household are low is that most of them include free accommodation and meals. No doubt the room they're given isn't huge, but it's slap bang in the middle of the poshest bit of London and privately renting the equivalent room would cost, I would guess, at least £500 per month. Add on to that transport costs, food, heating, electricity etc etc and it becomes a considerable sum.

On top of all that, being able to put on your resume that you worked within the royal household is a huge boost to anyone's career, particularly within the hospitality sector.
With all the above considered, and of course it must be, the disposable income of the indavidual is still incredibly small for the work that's entailed to maintain the comfort and lifestyle of others.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-21-2012, 02:37 AM
Royal Highness

Sounds like the job is paying the minimum wage as a starter. I'd be happy running someone's bath and bringing them breakfast, but cleaning up after them when they go - I'm not so sure.....then again, that's what I do each day at home!
I am intrigued to know who exactly would the visitors be?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:54 AM
Commoner

Queen Mary’s Chinese Chippendale Room in BP:

Old 03-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Serene Highness

Buckingham palace has such amazing beautiful rooms including the beautiful white drawing room with the portrait of queen alexandra above the fireplace.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Buckingham palace has such amazing beautiful rooms including the beautiful white drawing room with the portrait of queen alexandra above the fireplace.
yes, white drawing room is one of my fav rooms in the palace:

Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya Trubetskoy View Post
I think you maybe right.

I think this room is in Holyrood House. Things look somewhat threadbare.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by joye View Post
I think this room is in Holyrood House. Things look somewhat threadbare.
My dear Joye,

I don't think the rooms in Holyrood Palace are threadbare, or at least, are no more threadbare than the rooms at Buckingham Palace. Is there another reason why you believe the photograph of the Queen with someone who appears to be a Roman Catholic prelate was taken at Holyrood Palace?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
My dear Joye,

I don't think the rooms in Holyrood Palace are threadbare, or at least, are no more threadbare than the rooms at Buckingham Palace. Is there another reason why you believe the photograph of the Queen with someone who appears to be a Roman Catholic prelate was taken at Holyrood Palace?
I believe the prelate in Cardinal Hume, Archbishop of Westminster who received the OM from the Queen in 1999.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I believe the prelate in Cardinal Hume, Archbishop of Westminster who received the OM from the Queen in 1999.

With your information I was able to confirm that this photo was taken at Buckingham Palace. The Cardinal who was very ill visited BP to receive The Order of Merit from The Queen.
Sorry no mention of which room, and I do not know myself which room.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joye View Post
With your information I was able to confirm that this photo was taken at Buckingham Palace. The Cardinal who was very ill visited BP to receive The Order of Merit from The Queen.
Sorry no mention of which room, and I do not know myself which room.
it's for sure 18th-century room, part of the belgian suite (BP ground floor).

the same carpet and colour of the walls:

and the same furnitures on the left side of the photo:

Tags
castles, homes, palaces, residences, royal residences

« Leeds Castle | - »