The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-19-2016, 08:03 AM
Royal Highness

Craftspeople could do WONDERS with that stuff, and the desire of visitors to 'own a bit of Buckingham Palace' is not to be underestimated.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of poliganc View Post
afaik they aren't gonna start with the queen's apartment till 2025-6 when she will be 100 years old although i wish she live till 150 but i think that they are thinking practically that at that point the queen probably won't be there and the prince of wales will just stay in clarence house till they finish so there is no need for the queen to move .
I have to say I thought that to when the I read that they were saving the North wing until last. Even if the Queen, is (god-willing) alive by then I suspect at 100 years old she would be quiet happy to move full time into Windsor while the work is carried out.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:54 AM
Nobility

I know it is a great deal of money to refurbish the palace. Yet once the work is done it won't have to be renovated again for several decades. And I'll bet it is costing more now because little or no renovating has been done since the Queen became Queen so now there is a lot more that needs doing.

These old buildings are a nightmare when it comes to modernization too, they weren't built with modern electrical, heating & plumbing systems in mind so installing or upgrading them is a real challenge.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:25 PM
Nobility

It's very unfortunate that it was allowed to get this bad. If it had been maintained properly over the years, this enormous spend all at once would not be required. HM, her Household and the various governments through the years share the blame for this IMO.

The only way to make this at least partly palatable would be to open the Palace to the public for much longer each year. I know they're opening it for an extra 15 days but that's not enough. It should be open at least 6 months per year. HM spends at least that amount of time in her other residences. I haven't seen a really convincing reason for why it shouldn't open more.

Mind you, it's chicken feed when compared to the Palace of Westminster (which includes the Houses of Parliament for those who are less familiar with the UK). Apparently renovating it is going to cost upwards of £7 billion! A truly unbelievable sum of money.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:37 PM
Royal Highness

The problem is that here in the UK there seems to always be pressure to do things on the cheap, so the Royal Household and the parliamentary authorities have made savings, including on maintenance of their main buildings. They both appear to get by paying for the running and essential maintenance but not having enough funds to keep the buildings in good order. Yes this saves money in the short term but eventually the buildings reach a point where the work is needed in one go before there is a disaster, hence why the public are now going to fork out £400million for BP and £3-7billion for the Palace of Westminster to be renovated to stop them from falling down.
As ever its short sightedness from those who control the purse strings (And in fairness also the media and British public) leading to situations like this.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Royal Highness

In short 'a stitch in time, saves NINE' !
Old 11-22-2016, 07:01 AM
Serene Highness

interesting opinion

Quote:
The 85% of profits that are not funding of the crown grant go straight to general funds and therefore to the extent that this is reduced there is an argument that the taxpayer is paying. But that ignores the fact that the Crown Estates profits grew last year by 3 x the growth in GDP, while the annual return increased at 19.3 % last year, 20% the year before, 11% the year before that and 16% in 2011 and every year not only exceeded the target but also made it by far the most profitable investment anywhere in the public sector. So it is clear that the expert management of the Crown estates not only insures an extraordinary return but that since 2011 its value has grown from £7 billion to £11.5 billion last year. This means that the £360 million projected cost for the restoration etc of Buckingham Palace represents just 0.008% of the total increase in the value of the Crown Estates in just 4 years. The Daily Mirro has deliberately distorted the reality as have the critics who see this as an excuse to attack and undermine the monarchy. Buckingham Palace is not the property of the Sovereign, but of the Crown, and like the royal art collection is part of the national heritage. If there was some disaster causing a fire, or major damage caused by a water leak, if state guests find a leak in the ceiling or their bathrooms do not function, these same people would be ink to ready to attack the Sovereign for allowing this to happen.
The British Royals Message Board: Re: Buckingham Palace to get £369m refurbishment
Old 11-27-2016, 07:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Once considered one of the least “green” buildings in the country, the palace’s £369 million overhaul will feature a host of environmentally friendly upgrades inspired by Prince Charles.

The royal eco-warrior has played a key role in ensuring the palace he will one day inherit becomes as energy efficient as his current homes Clarence House and Highgrove.

Like those royal residences, Buckingham Palace is to be fitted with photovoltaic panels that use sunlight to generate electricity which can be used to supplement the power from the grid.
Read more: Prince Charles wants upgraded Buckingham Palace to be environmentally friendly | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 11-27-2016, 07:59 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Why doesn't this surprise me one bit? Not only is BP getting a much needed renovation but also will be setting an example that there are ways and means to have sustainable energy. Once this project is all done, BP should be in good shape to last at least a couple more generations.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Majesty

Old 11-27-2016, 06:09 PM
Royal Highness

Al Bina -

SOME do, but most recognise that a building belonging to the State is the responsibility of the State's to maintain, regardless of whom the State chooses as its 'tenant'. I note the majority interviewed were not British, and did not have British accents..
Old 11-27-2016, 06:21 PM
Majesty

I liked an elegant way information was served.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Al Bina -

SOME do, but most recognise that a building belonging to the State is the responsibility of the State's to maintain, regardless of whom the State chooses as its 'tenant'. I note the majority interviewed were not British, and did not have British accents..
Indeed, Buckingham Palace is not a private residence and therefore its upkeep and maintenance should not be paid for privately. The Prime Minister doesn't pay for No.10 Downing Street or Chequers, Presidents do not pay for for presidential palaces.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
remind me of something other members here said about how the way the questions is asked about the referendum on the monarchy can insure you getting the answer that you want you can see that some of the people who were asked when they wanted to know how the taxpayer gonna pay for it the reporter changed the conversation and said that 369 is a lot .
funny they didn't mention the 7 billion cost for renovating westminster palace.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
No matter what happens in the years to come and whether the royal line goes into the next century with a monarch on the throne or the UK becomes a republic, Buckingham Palace, along with many other landmarks, are part and parcel of the UK's heritage and need to be preserved for posterity. I would state that is a bigger reason for extensive renovations above being a stable home for a royal family.

I don't find it unbelievable that many ordinary, everyday citizens could be under the impression that BP belongs to the Queen simply because she lives there and the monarch has always lived there for many, many years. From the times I have read the comment section of papers like the Daily Mail, the consensus is easily made that if the royal family lives somewhere, goes somewhere or eats something lavish such as at a state dinner, it is noted that these people think they do all of this with money out of the taxpayer's pockets. I could very well be one of those people with that belief if I had never came to TRF and through threads like this one, know more about how it all works maybe than a lot of people.

Its all really in what you know.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Grand Staircase of Buckingham Palace
Old 12-09-2016, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Wonderful Christmas Trees and garlands,very festive looking!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Security measures for the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace are being changed with immediate affect - in direct response to the Berlin massacre .

From tomorrow (Wednesday) roads will be shut for almost two hours around the Queen’s London residence for the event - held three to four mornings a week - as police reassess its vulnerability to attack.
Read more: Buckingham Palace reacts to Berlin terror attack by blocking nearby roads to traffic during 'Changing of the Guard' - Mirror Online

Security upped near Buckingham Palace after Berlin attack - ITV News
Old 12-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Heightened Police Presence at Buckingham Palace-
Home - ITNSource News

They must make this security plan permanent. Better that way.

A.W. TOZER

Tags
castles, homes, palaces, residences, royal residences