The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-30-2015, 04:57 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The problem is that the British public don't want to spend any money on places like this and eventually the palace will become unliveable. I drove past their yesterday and the deterioration since I last saw it in person is marked and that was the outside.
I can imagine that there would be a big hue and cry from the British public too should the time come and it be declared that Buckingham Palace has been deemed condemned and scheduled for demolition. It is a national historic building and well worth bringing up to date now so that 100-200 years from now, it still stands proudly as a national historic symbol.

It may be a long term project and cost a lot of time and money but in the long run, it will be worth it I think.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Anti-monarchy activists want Queen to move out of Buckingham Palace

Anti-monarchy activists want Queen to move out of Buckingham Palace | UK news | The Guardian

Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh please! Buckingham palace would lose a lto of appeal and attraction if thw royal family had to leave it empty... What for then? Same redundant complaints from that front...
Old 06-30-2015, 08:16 PM
Courtier

What do they think? She will go into a double wide along The Mall?
Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 PM
Majesty

Another thing occurred to me that would lessen Buckingham Palace as a "must see" is that if the monarch is no longer in residence there, there will be no need for the Queen's/King's Guard outside the palace. Also, it very well may be the end of balcony appearances too. There is just too much associated with the monarch to Buckingham Palace that to remove it as a residence is to make the entire structure dull and meaningless.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-01-2015, 05:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Another thing occurred to me that would lessen Buckingham Palace as a "must see" is that if the monarch is no longer in residence there, there will be no need for the Queen's/King's Guard outside the palace. Also, it very well may be the end of balcony appearances too. There is just too much associated with the monarch to Buckingham Palace that to remove it as a residence is to make the entire structure dull and meaningless.

The Swedish royal family left the royal palace in Stockholm in the early eighties and that has stopped neither balcony appearances, the Kings guard and the changing thereoff. People flock in ever increasing numbers to tour the palace and take part in exhibitions and events organised there.
If the Windsors would stop living at BP they would follow in the footsteps of most other royal families of Europe which have left the grand old palaces at the centre of their capitals for more "modest" accommodations as Drottningholm, Laeken, Huis ten Bosch etc... in the greener suburbs.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-01-2015, 06:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

I was in Athens in 1980-81 (just as they were joining the EU) and they still had changing the guard outside the royal palace even though there was no royal family at the time (they were already ensconced in London by then).
Old 07-23-2015, 11:56 PM
Royal Highness

Secrets Of State Banquets At Buckingham Palace

1,700 pieces of cutlery, 1,104 glasses and and a 175-foot dining table... New exhibition goes behind the scenes at the 170-person state banquets held at Buckingham Palace* | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
The Royal residence opens its doors for the summer - and shows visitors what goes on behind the scenes to stage a state banquet-

Secrets Of State Banquets At Buckingham Palace

Video:
Members of the public will be able to experience a State Visit at Buckingham Palace. ‘A Royal Welcome’ shows the State Rooms recreated for these special occasions. Shows: intv Anne Reynolds, curator and gvs of 'A Royal Welcome' exhibition-

http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTer...%20TO%20PUBLIC

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-25-2015, 06:56 AM
Heir Apparent

A Royal Welcome at the State Rooms, Buckingham Palace

Old 07-25-2015, 07:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

They have taken at least four weeks to get ready for the opening as various marquees etc were being set up during the first week I was in London. When I checked the date for the Opening this year last year, when planning my trip, it said 'early August - date to be confirmed' and by the time the dates were confirmed I had already booked by date home grrrr - Had I had the correct date I would have stayed and arrived home on Monday morning to go straight to school.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

It almost seems that the opening is in late July except for 2012. Because of the Olympics they opened later in the summer but did a week in early July when the Queen was in Edinburgh staying at Holyrood. I specifically went to London that week to do the summer BP opening. I did it on July 4.

There is a lot of stuff that is set up in the garden. There is a Cafe, Gift Shop, Bathrooms plus the exhibition set up in the palace and the protecting the wallpaper paper, etc. It would take a while to setup. Plus they have to work around the events at the palace.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Oh please! Buckingham palace would lose a lto of appeal and attraction if thw royal family had to leave it empty... What for then? Same redundant complaints from that front...
The Spanish royal family does not live at the Palacio Real de Madrid, the Palacio Real de Aranjuez, the Palacio Real de la Granja de San Ildefonso, the Palacio Real de El Pardo, the Palacio Real de Riofrío, the Palacio Real de la Almudaina, the Palacio Real de El Escorial or at the Reales Alcázares de Sevilla. All these places are tourist hotspots anyway...

Old 07-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Serene Highness

I imagine if the Palace was opened full time to the public there would be a lot of initial interest as people would want to see where the Queen lived etc. However if it went unused by the royals over decades eventually it would just be a 'big old house'. Yes it would still attract a lot of visitors just like the many other big old stately houses here in the UK but not as many as it would/does as a working, still used Palace.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:24 PM
Courtier

The biggest draw of Buckingham Palace is the possibility of seeing a royal. Whether the Standard is flying or not, the possibility is still there. If the royals move out, it just becomes another museum, and much of the attraction will fade. I say do the renovations, open the palace a little longer each year. Open the palace, and they will come. Once it is redecorated, many will return just to see the changes.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

But they could do it like in Sweden. Not live in the Palace but use it for all official receptions and such. In Sweden they have also other rooms then the State Apartements who are used by the Royal Family for audiences and such so despite that they work in a part of the Palace the State Apartements and the Bernadotte Apartements are still open to the Public for most time of the year.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think so bad if royal family don't live the buckingham. Besides i don't think so the Charles when become King he lives there
Old 07-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
I don't think so bad if royal family don't live the buckingham. Besides i don't think so the Charles when become King he lives there
I've heard it suggested quite a few times here that maybe, just maybe, when Charles becomes King, he'll prefer to actually remain living at Clarence House and go to BP for work. He does like to walk a lot. It wouldn't really be that much different than what the Queen does now with commuting between BP and Windsor Castle for long weekends.

We'll just have to wait and see.
― John Lennon
Old 07-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Transforming the Ballroom at Buckingham Palace for a State Banquet

Old 08-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Nobility

Which room is this please at Buckingham Palace and where is it situated on the floor plan?

http://i58.tinypic.com/16j4ge9.jpg

Tags
castles, homes, palaces, residences, royal residences