The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-20-2014, 01:09 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I just love reading those kind of stories. I can picture the troops marching out of the forecourt with an enhanced drive to fight for Queen and country as Victoria watched them go. Must have really meant something to them.

The story about the Queen Mum and meeting Queen Mary with the chair covers is one of those glimpses into her that is rarely seen. At the time she probably had no clue that she was meeting her future mother in law.

Fascinating... simply fascinating. Thanks for posting these.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-26-2015, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Daily Mail really would print anything!

Buckingham Palace aides under fire after 25 windows are left open on one of the coldest days of the year* | Daily Mail Online

Old 01-26-2015, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Oh how ridiculous! The rooms were probably being aired and the heating switched off - I do it all the time!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Oh how ridiculous! The rooms were probably being aired and the heating switched off - I do it all the time!
Plus I'd imagine there's no one visiting the Palace or in residence ,just the Daily Mail trying to fill a gap on a quiet news day!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Plus I'd imagine there's no one visiting the Palace or in residence ,just the Daily Mail trying to fill a gap on a quiet news day!
Well said. The DM really seems to scrape the bottom of the barrel ever so often in its bid to fill the pages.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

BP said the windows were open due to redecorating and maintenance which means they were probably painting and the windows open to air the fumes and help it dry.

I can't imagine that in BP's heating system that heating to certain areas can't be turned on or off.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-26-2015, 12:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
BP said the windows were open due to redecorating and maintenance which means they were probably painting and the windows open to air the fumes and help it dry.

I can't imagine that in BP's heating system that heating to certain areas can't be turned on or off.

I am still waiting to find a way to paint windows without opening them!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Apparently Philip, within a few days of moving into Buckingham Palace following the Queen's accession, began as he meant to go on. He began an Organisation and Methods Review, visiting every one of the more than six hundred rooms at BP and asking everyone on the staff exactly what they were doing and why. This did not go down well with many of the old guard but some of the younger courtiers thought it was 'like a breath of fresh air.'

Philip did things like carry his own luggage and call for any help instead of ringing a bell (though a bell would be more efficient than bellowing one would think) and would order sandwiches etc by phoning the chefs office himself. All these were innovations then.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:14 PM
Royal Highness

Buckingham Palace aides under fire after 25 windows are left open | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
It is understood that it costs in the region of £1.1 million a year to heat the palace.

Jonathan Isaby of the Taxpayers' Alliance said leaving windows open on a cold day is akin to burning cash in a fire.

The temperature on the day plummeted to -3 Celsius.

He told The Sun: 'Closing windows on cold days is just common sense. Taxpayers don't have bottomless pockets. '
Don't be ridiculous. The Queen receives no extra money from the taxpayers to pay the electricity bill at buckingham palace.

The Mail say they support the monarchy, but It doesn't seem like it.

I'm so tired of the UK newspapers, with the exception of The Telegraph, and maybe The Times, although I see myself as a liberal.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:44 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Buckingham Palace aides under fire after 25 windows are left open | Daily Mail Online

Don't be ridiculous. The Queen receives no extra money from the taxpayers to pay the electricity bill at buckingham palace.

The Mail say they support the monarchy, but It doesn't seem like it.

I'm so tired of the UK newspapers, with the exception of The Telegraph, and maybe The Times, although I see myself as a liberal.
Most likely if there were rooms in BP that needed maintenance and/or painting, it would stand to reason that the rooms had the heat shut off and/or lowered and the windows open to fumigate the rooms. BP is a huge place and it would stand to reason that during the cold months, rooms that were not in use or didn't need to be heated aren't.

We do the same here in winter months. Rooms that we really don't need to use, we turn the heat off in them and close the door. Helps immensely with the electric bill.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-27-2015, 02:06 AM
Royal Highness

What is the heating situation in BP?

Is it central heating?
Zoned heating?
Are there multiple heating devices to different areas in BP due to usage and size of the building/rooms?
Are some rooms only heated with fireplaces?
Old 01-27-2015, 05:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
What is the heating situation in BP?

Is it central heating?
Zoned heating?
Are there multiple heating devices to different areas in BP due to usage and size of the building/rooms?
Are some rooms only heated with fireplaces?
No fires are allowed for domestic heating in London. Not sure about the rest.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:21 AM
Royal Highness

So Muriel can you not have an open fire in a fireplace or have I got it all wrong? There would be so many beautiful fireplaces too

Old 02-27-2015, 03:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Buckingham Palace naked man: Watch shocking clip of nude man appearing to climb out of royal residence window-
Buckingham Palace naked man: Watch shocking clip of nude man appearing to climb out of royal residence window - Mirror Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Buckingham Palace naked man: Watch shocking clip of nude man appearing to climb out of royal residence window-
Buckingham Palace naked man: Watch shocking clip of nude man appearing to climb out of royal residence window - Mirror Online
This is a spoof - an ad for The Royals in the US. Some people think its for real.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-01-2015, 06:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
So Muriel can you not have an open fire in a fireplace or have I got it all wrong? There would be so many beautiful fireplaces too

That's right, you are not allowed to have open fires in London homes.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is a spoof - an ad for The Royals in the US. Some people think its for real.
Ha ha I was thinking it was either an advert or a spoof!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Aristocracy

Naked Man climbing out of Buckingham Palace window

Chris Spivey has an article about it that I'd post a link to but I don't think the bad language would make it past the censors. Bad language aside he goes through it frame by frame and it doesn't look fake when you do that. It really does look like a man in distress trying to get in other windows. Google "nothing to f*cking laugh at, Chris Spivey" to see that.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

What happened to this man ?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Nothing, the video is fake (a hoax). There are no reports of an arrest, no any tourist has filmed it with the smartphone, there is no cctv-image, nothing. Just fake.

Tags
castles, homes, palaces, residences, royal residences