The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-31-2014, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

who knows, i guess it's good exercise for someone her age and it's very gentle on the articulations, so i'd say it's possible she uses it, but maybe not much.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I actually visited Buckingham Palace yesterday and not last weekend as I had posted on another thread a while ago, since something went wrong with the booking. I thoroughly enjoyed it although particularly liked the Royal Childhood exhibition. The videos were delightful (I won't mention what was in them just incase anyone here is planning on going to the exhibition), and I thought it was nice how they showed the tartan pinafore/dress that Lady Louise wore in this photo. It was lovely close up.

I'll post the next part of my post in this thread since I don't have a lot to say here. I also visited Clarence House, which was interesting, and it was fun to see all of Charles and Camilla's books in the bookcases. I also learnt that Prince George visits his grandparents every Sunday at Clarence House, which I didn't know beforehand.

"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

thank you for sharing your experience and your views!
Old 08-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I actually visited Buckingham Palace yesterday and not last weekend as I had posted on another thread a while ago, since something went wrong with the booking. I thoroughly enjoyed it although particularly liked the Royal Childhood exhibition. The videos were delightful (I won't mention what was in them just incase anyone here is planning on going to the exhibition), and I thought it was nice how they showed the tartan pinafore/dress that Lady Louise wore in this photo. It was lovely close up.

I'll post the next part of my post in this thread since I don't have a lot to say here. I also visited Clarence House, which was interesting, and it was fun to see all of Charles and Camilla's books in the bookcases. I also learnt that Prince George visits his grandparents every Sunday at Clarence House, which I didn't know beforehand.
Hope you enjoyed your royal visits ,I'd love to see both Buckingham Palace and Clarence House!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post

Those visits must have been an amazing experience for you and would definitely be on my list of places to go if I was ever to be in London.

Sunday visits to Grampa and Gramma just sounds too cozy for words. It also reinforces just how close knit of a family they are.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Majesty

Royal police protection officers investigated over weapons-
BBC News - Royal police protection officers investigated over weapons

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Royal Highness

In Royal Palaces, it was stated:

The Green Drawing Room, once Queen Charlotte's Salon, acts as an assembly room for functions in the Throne and Music Rooms. It seems at first more gold than green - the predominant color, except for the silk wall panels and pelmets.
The Bow Room was intended to be a library, part of the apartments of King George IV.
The balcony off the Balcony Room was first used by Queen Victoria in 1854 when she watched battalions of her troops march out of the forecourt before leaving for the Crimea.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Courtier

A Royalist’s guide to London: Buckingham Palace
Quote:
The Queen’s primary London residence stands proud at the end of The Mall in central London, flanked by Green Park and St James’s Park.

Buckingham House, as it was known before becoming a Royal residence, was bought by George III in 1762 as a private residence for his wife, Charlotte, and their family, close to St James’s Palace (the official seat of The British Monarchy).

It was remodelled for The Queen and her brood, and then some more when George IV took to the throne. He spent hundreds of thousands on the house and designer John Nash lost his job thanks to the extravagance and cost of the work.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

This was on the news tonight, the Dancing Guard. I did not catch it when it first surfaced...
Dancing Buckingham Palace Guard Could Face Disciplinary Action - ABC News

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 10-17-2014, 01:43 AM
Aristocracy

Aesthetically, I don't believe that Buckingham Palace is on the same level as some of the Continental palaces, unfortunately. Some Russian palaces built for aristocrats in the 18th century are just magical.

The interiors at Buckingham Palace also suffer from the delusions that Prince Albert seemingly suffered from, that he was a tasteful interior decorator and that the mid-Victorian period was the epitome of taste. Neither is true!

JMO, and I'm British-born, so it's not sour grapes!
Old 10-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can only compare BP to the royal palace in madrid and IMO there is no comparison: the spanish one wins!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Serene Highness

The British didn't really ever build a showpiece palace like the other continental royals. It probably helps to build palaces that monarchs in France and Russia were absolute rulers. It didn't help to keep their thrones. While across the channel you have a parliament to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Majesty

I happen to think Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and Sandringham are magical places but not shown off as they should be. We see very little of St. James's Palace too. I think what makes those residences magical are the royals.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Although for the life of me I could not give a reason for it, I think its Windsor Castle that gives the best "lived in" royal feel. Buckingham Palace, to me, would be the place to go for the state rooms and business side of the monarchy and its ceremonies and traditions.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Although for the life of me I could not give a reason for it, I think its Windsor Castle that gives the best "lived in" royal feel. Buckingham Palace, to me, would be the place to go for the state rooms and business side of the monarchy and its ceremonies and traditions.
I see what you mean. Windsor is a very special place. I really like the Garter Room.

The royals used to highlight parts of the royal residences by having their portraits taken in them but they don't seem to do that anymore.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I see what you mean. Windsor is a very special place. I really like the Garter Room.

The royals used to highlight parts of the royal residences by having their portraits taken in them but they don't seem to do that anymore.
Well, the Queen still does. It is her home. I'm guessing that when it is someone else's home, portraits will be painted there.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 10-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The British didn't really ever build a showpiece palace like the other continental royals.
During the period OTT Palace building was all the rage {1650-1830 } British society was effectively run by a powerful Whig aristocracy, headed by a Monarch who, although powerful had neither the funds nor the inclination to build vast palaces [tied as they were, by Parliaments purse strings]

Grand Palaces were built, [Blenheim, Stowe, Kedleston, Holkham etc, etc ] but for the Whig aristocracy, who were invariably better housed than the Monarch to whom they owed alliegance.

BP [altho' loved by the people, as a centrepiece for national celebrations], is a third rate apology of a classical European Palace, and rather coarse in decoration [being built at the 'fag end' of the golden age of Palace building...] No-one has ever heard of it being appreciated [aesthetically or domestically] by the Family who HAVE to occupy it
Old 10-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
During the period OTT Palace building was all the rage {1650-1830 } British society was effectively run by a powerful Whig aristocracy, headed by a Monarch who, although powerful had neither the funds nor the inclination to build vast palaces [tied as they were, by Parliaments purse strings]

Grand Palaces were built, [Blenheim, Stowe, Kedleston, Holkham etc, etc ] but for the Whig aristocracy, who were invariably better housed than the Monarch to whom they owed alliegance.

BP [altho' loved by the people, as a centrepiece for national celebrations], is a third rate apology of a classical European Palace, and rather coarse in decoration [being built at the 'fag end' of the golden age of Palace building...] No-one has ever heard of it being appreciated [aesthetically or domestically] by the Family who HAVE to occupy it
I used to live very near Kedleston and Chatsworth. We used to love, especially, the woods at Kedleston. Spent many happy hours there. I do miss the area.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Gold Exhibition

The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace
Friday, 7 November 2014 to Sunday, 22 February 2015

Gold | Royal Collection Trust

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...xhibition.html
Old 11-20-2014, 12:52 AM
Aristocracy

In 1920 Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon went to Buckingham Palace for the first time, with a group of Scottish ladies led by her elder sister May. They had embroidered new covers for a set of chairs in the Palace of Holyroodhouse, and were presenting Queen Mary with their handiwork. Elizabeth stood in for her sister Rosemary. "Only one quarter of her chair is finished, so I shall be chucked out for certain!" she told a friend. However Queen Mary was highly delighted with the offering.

In July of 1920 Elizabeth was presented at court, at BP, and became a debutante.

From William Shawcross's official biography of the Queen Mother. Page 103.

Tags
castles, homes, palaces, residences, royal residences