The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
One of Canada’s most storied regiments is standing guard at Buckingham Palace for the first time in more than 70 years.
Approximately 70 members of the Ceremonial Guard of the Royal 22e Regiment, affectionately known as the Van Doos, took part in the Changing of the Guard ceremony outside Buckingham Palace Monday morning. The regiment will also mount the guard on July 16 and 18 at St. James’s Palace and the Tower of London.
The last time the Van Doos stood guard outside Buckingham Palace was for one week in the spring of 1940 at the request of King George VI, Colonel-in-Chief of the regiment.
Van Doos: Storied Canadian regiment mounts the guard at Buckingham Palace | CTV News

Old 07-17-2014, 01:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

What a wonderful way to both honour and celebrate the legacy of the Van Doos during this special anniversary year for them. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 07-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Palace guards' impromptu Game of Thrones rendition

Palace guards' impromptu Game of Thrones rendition | London - ITV News
Old 07-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Gifts given to Prince George - from a rocking horse to a silver breakfast set - are some of the star attractions of a new exhibition opening at Buckingham Palace. Shows: SOT Anna Reynolds, from the Royal Collection Trust and curator of the exhibition and gvs exhibition-
Home - ITNSource News

Royal playtime: Enchanting and intimate home-movie pictures show the Windsors really DO know how to have fun-
Royal's home-movie shows the Windsors really DO know how to have fun | Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Video:
Gifts given to Prince George - from a rocking horse to a silver breakfast set - are some of the star attractions of a new exhibition opening at Buckingham Palace. Shows: SOT Anna Reynolds, from the Royal Collection Trust and curator of the exhibition and gvs exhibition-
Home - ITNSource News

Royal playtime: Enchanting and intimate home-movie pictures show the Windsors really DO know how to have fun-
Royal's home-movie shows the Windsors really DO know how to have fun | Mail Online
I wish this exhibition was open longer!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen will be back in London and so the exhibition has to close.

They do these special exhibitions every year to encourage people to go and visit every year.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Royal Childhood, the special exhibition at Buckingham Palace 2014

Old 07-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Clips of The Queen as a child featured as part of an exhibition to the Summer Opening of Buckingham Palace, 26 July - 28 September 2014

Old 07-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Blue Drawing Room served as a ballroom for a young Queen Victoria before the architect John Pennethorne built her the bigger one.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:37 AM
Majesty

it emerged last week that kate took george for a swimming lesson at buckingham. some of us were surprised buckingham had a pool, and some websites reported how the staff can use the pool, yet they need to get out of the pool immediately should a royal arrive.
i found this slightly unfair. after all, buckingham is paid for by the taxpayer and only 'loaned' to the royals. isn't it slighly demeaning and classicist to ask staff to "immediately should a royal arrive"?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
it emerged last week that kate took george for a swimming lesson at buckingham. some of us were surprised buckingham had a pool, and some websites reported how the staff can use the pool, yet they need to get out of the pool immediately should a royal arrive.
i found this slightly unfair. after all, buckingham is paid for by the taxpayer and only 'loaned' to the royals. isn't it slighly demeaning and classicist to ask staff to "immediately should a royal arrive"?
As I see it, it is HMs house, and it comes with the job. It is jolly nice of HM to let staff use her pool, when not in use by members of her family. It is not a communal pool in any way (just as the Bentley is her use, and not for the maids to use). Should a staff member consider it unfair, they could always take their speedo's down to the local council gym and swim whenever they fancy it.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
As I see it, it is HMs house, and it comes with the job. It is jolly nice of HM to let staff use her pool, when not in use by members of her family. It is not a communal pool in any way (just as the Bentley is her use, and not for the maids to use). Should a staff member consider it unfair, they could always take their speedo's down to the local council gym and swim whenever they fancy it.
yes, i guess it's a good way of looking at it and i agree it's nice that the pool is open to staff in the first place. however, if it's open to staff, then why not let them use the pool even in the presence of a royal? or if it's too much for the royals to handle, then perhaps best to make it a private pool for their private use only rather than demand a protocol that could well fit in a medieval story?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
yes, i guess it's a good way of looking at it and i agree it's nice that the pool is open to staff in the first place. however, if it's open to staff, then why not let them use the pool even in the presence of a royal? or if it's too much for the royals to handle, then perhaps best to make it a private pool for their private use only rather than demand a protocol that could well fit in a medieval story?
The regular swimmers I have known swim on a rough schedule. So except for the heat of the day, my guess is swimmers at BP know who who is likely to turn up when they do. They have already sussed who pre-approves that they are doing laps on the left side of the pool.
I'm equally sure that staff asks the appropriate person - when is a good time for me to do laps?
I'm also of the opinion that The Duchess asked ahead of time what was a good day/hour to bring a toddler and that frequent users were warned this was the baby splash hour. After all, these people have common sense, social skills and an understanding of how things are done.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I think maybe the pool was originally intended for royal family use only - but when it was left often empty - it was deemed staff could use it as well, with that proviso being added. Who knows if it is actually enforced. I could easily see if 1 person swimming laps on the side, no one would ask him to leave. But given the caste system at the palace, depending upon their role, I would imagine they might leave anyway.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Courtier

I'm sure there is a schedule pinned somewhere in the pool with information on which day the Queen, Duke, PoW etc use the pool. My guess is that Catherine just added her preferred time.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It is my assumption that the private use of the pool by royals and by the staff have the provisos in place mostly out consideration of the royal family. If and when any member of the royal family do use the pool, having it be a totally private time probably is a real blessing for a family that, for the most part, give up a lot of their privacy and are constantly under the eagle eye of the press and the public.

Its also an extra added measure to ensure that leaks (and I don't mean the yellow area possibly around George) of what any one of the royals look like in a bathing suit or their adeptness at certain swimming strokes never ever reach the public domain.

Staff being able to swim in the pool is a privilege and I seriously don't think anyone that works at BP and has taken signed a confidentiality agreement would be bold enough to complain about their restrictions on use.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness

It would be interesting to know if staff at the White House, or the Elysee have the run of the pool ?

As others have said this is thw Queens HOME, and i think it is very decent of her to open the use of the pool to others...
Old 07-31-2014, 01:43 AM
Courtier

I wouldn't be surprised if William and/or Catherine use the BP pool to swim laps regularly. They are both swimmers and very fit and swimming is one of the best ways to exercise and a great stress reliever.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:06 AM
Courtier

Do you think the Queen actually uses it. Somehow she doesn't seem to be a swimming-person to me. My guess is that she takes walks and rides to stay fit.
The Duke of E might, though.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:49 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen and Margaret used it when they were little. The Queen's kids learned to swim there. The Queen probably hasn't used it recently.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Tags
castles, homes, palaces, residences, royal residences