The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
ISnt the Queens Gallery and the Stables open nearly all year - or have I imagined that?

Yes they are.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you Iluvbertie

Also the shop is open all year as well, because it is not in BP but on the other side of the road, near the public entrance.

Can still make some income then

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Majesty

The State Apartments are used all the time. The rest of the palace is private living space or working space.

To maximise tourist revenue means not using the State Apartments for royal functions and the parts of the palace that are open during the summer opening are the State Apartments - so the conflict is between the parts of the palace open to the public during the summer are the same parts of the palace that are used for royal functions during the rest of the year.

Other than the State Apartments there is the private apartments of The Queen, Andrew, Anne and Edward - taking up quite a large part of the rest of the palace, the living quarters of the live-in staff, the kitchens, the office space of those who work there, the space for the military based there like the guard, the space for the security people.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Ok, so call in a logistics and space planner to maximize tourist revenue while utilizing other parts of the building. Then let them plan needed renovations - again maximizing utility/revenue while minimizing loss space time. We have done so much of this in the states, we could do it in our sleep. Of course, we have far less heritage to honor. I'm being cheeky!
Well all I can say is that its a shame the architect didn't think of that. Think of the amount of money spent in the US upgrading all your State Houses.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Ok, so call in a logistics and space planner to maximize tourist revenue while utilizing other parts of the building. Then let them plan needed renovations - again maximizing utility/revenue while minimizing loss space time. We have done so much of this in the states, we could do it in our sleep.
Thats really clever. Why did novbody here ever think of that? Do you think one of these clever logistics and space planners from America might be able to head over and tell HM how to organise her home and office?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Thank you Iluvbertie

Also the shop is open all year as well, because it is not in BP but on the other side of the road, near the public entrance.

Can still make some income then
I went to the shop today, was very busy, and the queue for the Royal Mews was several hundred long.

I am convinced that if the Queen and Philip were to relocate to a smaller house elsewhere in the palace grounds, the revenue from opening the entire palace and gardens would be huge. The public would be able to see where the royals currently live too.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I went to the shop today, was very busy, and the queue for the Royal Mews was several hundred long.

I am convinced that if the Queen and Philip were to relocate to a smaller house elsewhere in the palace grounds, the revenue from opening the entire palace and gardens would be huge. The public would be able to see where the royals currently live too.
There are no smaller houses in the palace grounds.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post

They would have to build a 'smaller home' in the gardens as currently there aren't any.

Having the Palace and gardens open all year would also add to the securty costs and mean that they couldn't enjoy their own gardens at all.

One of the attractions of BP is that it is the 'home of the Queen'.

I have stood outside BP and along with many other tourists watched as the Queen's standard went up and excitedly talked about the fact that it meant that the Queen was now in residence and how wonderful that was - it was why we were there - to see BP - a lived in palace.

I have never seen a queue for the Mews - and have visited it many times - just walked right in - are yo sure the line wasn't to get into the Palace proper as the entrance for that is on the same side and is usually quite long as people have set entry times?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I visited Buckingham Palace yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Whilst I was there, I saw the Coronation exhibition; and Prince Charles and Princess Anne's clothes are so tiny when you see them up close! The waist of HM's dress was also very small, I imagine that she wore a corset that day. I liked the chandeliers that were in the rooms, in particular the ones in the State Drawing Room. I was also impressed by the Grand Staircase, and I was thinking that so many royals/famous people have walked down those stairs. I also saw the balcony, and it looks quite small in reality (as far as palace balconies go).

The gardens are also very nice, it's a shame that you can't walk on the garden where HM holds her garden parties though; but I can sort of understand why members of the public don't have access to it. I also took a few photos of the palace and gardens, I'll post them here once I've saved them to my desktop.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I visited Buckingham Palace yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Whilst I was there, I saw the Coronation exhibition; and Prince Charles and Princess Anne's clothes are so tiny when you see them up close! The waist of HM's dress was also very small, I imagine that she wore a corset that day. I liked the chandeliers that were in the rooms, in particular the ones in the State Drawing Room. I was also impressed by the Grand Staircase, and I was thinking that so many royals/famous people have walked down those stairs. I also saw the balcony, and it looks quite small in reality (as far as palace balconies go).

The gardens are also very nice, it's a shame that you can't walk on the garden where HM holds her garden parties though; but I can sort of understand why members of the public don't have access to it. I also took a few photos of the palace and gardens, I'll post them here once I've saved them to my desktop.
Glad you enjoyed it HereditaryPrincess it sounds like a really wonderful exhibition!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Glad you enjoyed it HereditaryPrincess it sounds like a really wonderful exhibition!
It was a wonderful exhibition which I'd happily visit again! Buckingham Palace is now on my mental "royal residences and country houses to re-visit" list. Also on the list are Hampton Court, Chatsworth House, Charlottensburg Palace and Drottningholm Palace.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was really surprised by how small the balcony seemed in real life when I visited. It looks so much bigger when all the family are on it.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I was really surprised by how small the balcony seemed in real life when I visited. It looks so much bigger when all the family are on it.
I totally agree! I went last weekend and the whole building looked tiny!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I agree!

Here are three photos of Buckingham Palace, taken during my visit:

Photo credit: My camera
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BP Balcony.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	289856   Click image for larger version

Name:	BP Gardens.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	289857   Click image for larger version

Name:	BP Lake.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	289858  
Join my new group!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I agree!

Here are three photos of Buckingham Palace, taken during my visit:

Photo credit: My camera
Wonderful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing them.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

You're very welcome Osipi. I'm pleased you enjoyed them.
Join my new group!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I totally agree! I went last weekend and the whole building looked tiny!
What you see from the front is a small portion.

It is vast. It probably is not correct but I've been all round BP (Garden Party) and the sides look longer than the front. But if you walk it, you appreciate the size.

This is the best floor plan slide show I've found. Apologies if its has been posted already.

Google Image Result for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/81/Plan_of_Buckingham_palace.gif

Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Majesty

The face of Buckingham Palace celebrates its 100th birthday:
The face of Buckingham Palace celebrates its 100th birthday | Royal Collection Trust

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The face of Buckingham Palace celebrates its 100th birthday:
The face of Buckingham Palace celebrates its 100th birthday | Royal Collection Trust
Thanks for posting this. I had NO IDEA that the East facade was an addition. Here is what it looked like without the east addition: Joseph Nash (1808-78), Buckingham Palace, 1846. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Not bad!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Courtier

Queen Victoria was the First Monarch to live in Buckingham Palace and since 1837 has been the Official Residence of the Monarch.

But before 1837 where did the Monarch Live? Where was the official Residence?

Tags
castles, homes, palaces, residences, royal residences