Balmoral Castle

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the end of August 1959 President Eisenhower, near the end of his second term in office, took up a long-standing invitation to visit the royal family in Scotland.

Prince Philip met Eisenhower's flight and drove with him to Balmoral. The Queen and Princess Margaret walked down the drive and waited just around a corner and out of sight of the hordes of photographers outside the gate. Prince Philip had forgotten that they were planning to do this and his first reaction, he said afterwards, was 'who are these idiotic women?'

They took Eisenhower into the hills and the Queen cooked him drop scones on a barbecue. Then, Princess Margaret wrote, it was 'on for a drink with my glorious Mum at a party at Birkhall where EVERYBODY produced cameras, so that instead of faces there were just a lot of old lenses on the lawn'.

'Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother': William Shawcross, Page 727.

More than 160 years after Prince Albert is believed to have purchased it, a rare piece of transport history has returned to the Queen's private Scottish retreat after being saved from a Huntly scrap yard.
The horse-drawn Hungarian Hunting Phaeton dates from 1850 - two years after Albert and Queen Victoria first leased Balmoral estate and and two years before the couple bought their Highland home.
In the autumn of 1842, two and a half years after their marriage Albert and Victoria paid her first visit to Scotland. They were so struck with the Highlands that they resolved to return. A further visit to Perthshire and then Ardverikie encouraged them to seize the opportunity to purchase Balmoral.

Rare piece of Royal transport returns to Balmoral after being saved from scrap yard - Telegraph

I thought this was a very interesting article.

It is indeed HP,thanks for posting.Thankfully it has been saved and restored,shame we don't know how it ended up in a junk yard given its royal links.

It is indeed HP,thanks for posting.Thankfully it has been saved and restored,shame we don't know how it ended up in a junk yard given its royal links.

You're welcome, An Ard Ri. :) I too would love to know how it ended up in the scrap yard. I just find it strange that it was in the scrap yard all that time, and no one was aware that it was rare and belonging to the RF.

A field in front of Balmoral and a bridge close by and near to Birkhall described as Charles' favourite have been flooded in the recent bad weather. Apparently the Queen has been informed.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/12/30/13/2FAECFFC00000578-3378081-image-a-35_1451482313159.jpg

The River Dee burst its banks just meters away from Balmoral Castle.

York flood victims' homes targeted by looters as Storm Frank threatens 6in more rain | Daily Mail Online

I wonder if this year Charles and Camilla will cancel their annual visit to Birkhall to start the New Year?

Or if they will tour the flooded areas as members of the Royal Family?

Ballater, Aberdeenshire flooded as did Dumfries.

The DM has lots of pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect if it's possible/safe for them to visit then they will, if for no reason then to show support for the local area. I suspect they would already be up there by now if they are going to spend New Year there. The only reason they wouldn't would be to free up police etc who might have to be on duty during a royal stay at Birkhall and thus not available for flood related duties.

Interestingly the BBC are reporting that 100 people in homes in a town near Balmoral have been evacuated, they've been moved to Victoria Barracks which apparently is normally where security staff stay when the Queen is at Balmoral. If you google it you can see it's pretty big suggesting a lot of security staff must travel up with the Queen! Nice though that it is being used to shelter those affected by the flooding.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen does have significant amounts of police officers with her, it is not just the visible RPO's. Policing for the entire Royal Family is significant I suspect. I am praying for the people affected by the floods. It must be terrible.

More on flooding near Balmoral

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...tate_in_Aberdeenshire_-a-42_1451544532875.jpg
Correction This is probably Ailean Cottages.

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/r...easter-balmoral-1-and-2-ailean-cottage/rcahms

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...oral_Castle_described_-a-43_1451544532930.jpg
This is might be Crathie Cottage. It is difficult to tell as it is a view only from the back but based on the type of brick and the location it is probably Crathie Cottage. It is in the same location as Ailean Cottages.

Craithie Cottage image and location.
http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/r...-crathie-cottage/rcahms?item=1254634#carousel

Scotlandsplace.gov is a great source of images and details for the cottages on the Balmoral Estate.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015..._burst_its_banks_and_f-a-41_1451544532873.jpg

Last edited:
It breaks my heart to see all those beautiful gardens be swept away by the flooding.

^ Yes indeed. However, I'm sure Charles will be determined to build them up once more to their former glory, however long that takes.

Also one he'll work on diligently to restore. With being so close to the gardens and its maintenance over the years since he's had Birkhall, I wouldn't doubt he remembers exactly what was where and it'll be restored to its former glory. I also would imagine that it will be a task that Charles will not only enjoy but have fond memories of his grandmother while doing so.

Christmas Eve Balmoral Castle & Estate. Looking like it might be a White Christmas!!
1f642.png

https://scontent.fath3-1.fna.fbcdn....=b2f0dad15789e660e9222df3a463aacd&oe=58DBEF63

Nice time to be there and next to a fireplace.

I watched some of the short videos of Balmoral in a wet, slushy snow storm (must have been from this past winter) and I was wondering: is Balmoral a cozy place? does it have sufficient heating to be a warm and inviting place? I assume it has plenty of fireplaces but I mean in a modern, up-to-date sense. :flowers:

I have read that BP is quite 'primitive' by modern standards of comfort and luxury, which is being remedied by the renovations taking place now, so I was wondering if Balmoral is a similar situation. Anyone? :flowers:

:previous: Thanks for the info, Countessmeout. :flowers:

I imagine it's like a lot of other rather oldfashioned large British country houses, open fires in the principal rooms used by the family, a few large radiators elsewhere. Open fires are lovely if you are sitting close to them. However, I've experienced enough draughts up my back when further back to attest that they're not particularly efficient as most of the heat goes up the chimney! Of course the family, especially the Queen and Prince Philip, only really use Balmoral in the summer and early autumn.

Back
Top Bottom