Balmoral Castle

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CasiraghiTrio

Heir Apparent , TRF Author, Royal Blogger
City
Burbank
Country
United States
Craigowan Lodge is increasingly becoming The Queen's first residence when she arrives in Scotland. Instead of interrupting the tourist season early, she stays in the lodge for a few days while they close up the gift shops and do their final security check

Delnadamph Lodge is on a remote location on the estate, about 8 miles from the castle, and away from the main highway. Although the Lodge is old, it is in shambles. The Queen offered it to Charles and Diana, but Diana didn't have any interest in the place. Now that Charles is married to Camilla, he is restoring the place into a nice (ultra private) 12 bedroom lodge.

The surrounding woods are all parkland now, and forever protected from development.

this castle has beautiful surroundings. I could move in there.;)

Did anybody see the documentary on Balmoral that was on BBC2 earlier this week?

I think it was quite interesting to get the historical perspective on Balmoral.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides Queen Ena of Spain, does anyone know of other royals born at Balmoral? I believe Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria's daughter and the mother of Queen Ena, also gave birth to a son at Balmoral.

The TV programme "Balmoral" is now back on BBC iPlayer and will expire at 11.08 am on Saturday 9th January.

The TV programme "Balmoral" is now back on BBC iPlayer and will expire at 11.08 am on Saturday 9th January.

Do you have a working link? When I try the others above they indicate that it has already expired. :flowers:

Lovely, thank you for posting this video:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
When Tsar Nicholas II and his Alexandra visited Balmoral in the 1890's (I wanna say 1896) Queen Victoria ordered special wooden huts or cottages to be built near the castle for the Tsar's staff.
Does anyone know if they are still there?

Hopefully they'll be able to get the fires contained. I don't think the Queen wants to see another one of her favorite homes go up in flames. :eek:

I'm sorry to say that I've never really appreciated Balmoral - mainly the architecture.

Floor Plan of Balmoral

Here is ground floor plan of Balmoral Castle.

Attachments

• bc-ground-floor.gif
    bc-ground-floor.gif
    43 KB · Views: 23,467
rare photos, queen at her desk at balmoral, and glimpse of queen's bedroom:

1515f5683c64cf80ae1269e8622109005d495896067863.jpg

424e609f031d2bf87563ea29f16248945d495896075102.jpg

:previous:Thank you for the pictures, Duke. Great, great photo of HM at her desk with her ubiquitous corgis and red box. How she's able to work with such beautiful scenery outside her window is beyond me; she's obviously very disciplined and accustomed to the beauty of nature around her. And the stag's head on the bedroom wall is certainly typical of a country hunting residence.

This week I watched a you tube documentary about balmoral, wanting to find out a little more on the BRF Scottish residence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqCfxJzqcmw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Only that I did learn a couple of things like balmoral is the "test place", balmoral is the place where they fish and hunt and if you don't like to do this then balmoral is not for you, but I also found it a bore unfortunately, maybe because it's an old documentary from the 90s?

Balmoral is such a Scottish country retreat with kilt design everywhere and according to the video do they still keep the deer heads on the walls?

By Royal App-ointment: New smartphone programme allows users to tour Balmoral
Visitors can now tour Balmoral, the Queen’s Scottish estate, from the comfort of their sofas – thanks to a smartphone application. The free download gives an hour-long audio tour of the estate, which was bought by Prince Albert in 1848. It features photographs, a map and interviews with staff and concentrates on explaining how Queen Victoria made Balmoral Castle a family home.

Why the Queen wants to build on her rural retreat - Telegraph

Mandrake can disclose that the monarch wants to allow land at Balmoral, her privately owned estate in Aberdeenshire, to be used for low-cost properties to help local people get a foot on the housing ladder.

Land has been earmarked near the Prince of Wales’s retreat at Birkhall for the unique development, which is being overseen by Hank Dittmar, the chief executive of the Prince’s Foundation for Building Community.

Back
Top Bottom