Balmoral Castle

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: It is splendid to see Spring flowers beginning to emerge in the yard of Balmoral. :flowers::flowers:

that is a lovely picture of the Castle with the Snow.

It wouldn't be a unique move. Edward VII bought Sandringham as his summer home as Prince of Wales and continued to use it as King, while he gave away Osbourne House upon the death of his mother Queen Victoria.

I know this was posted some time ago but I was just reading through the recent comments on here & came across this.

Edward VII retained Barton Manor after he gifted Osborne House to the nation. The manor had been used as an overflow for the big house by Queen Victoria. The King continued to holiday on the island & Barton was only sold after his death. So there is precedence for disposing of a larger house & keeping the smaller.

Last edited:
If that does happen hopefully Charles will hold onto Birkhall for summer holidays .

I agree that Charles and in time William shouldn't feel pressured into maintaining these vast houses of Balmoral and Sandringham just because "its the done thing", actually only relatively recently if you think that in the long history of the RF Balmoral only goes back to Victoria and Sandringham even more recent.

The only think I would say is that I hope Charles bears in mind that were he say, minded to sell or give away the main castle and keep Birkhall it denies W&K of a large residence suitable for prolonged use and thus denies then and future heirs as well as the wider family of accommodation which in turn brings them closer to the area and estate. Yes they could all stay in their own smaller cottages on the Estate but it would lose its sense of being a family home.

If that does happen hopefully Charles will hold onto Birkhall for summer holidays .

Yes I hope he does. It makes (political) sense for the monarch to spend an appreciable amount of time in Scotland.

Hope that's not too controversial;)

What a beautiful photo! I don't think I could ever live anywhere that didn't get snow in the winter and create landscapes like this one.

I love these pictures of Balmoral through the seasons. It always looks so beautiful.

Wonderful glimpse intopast holidays at Balmoral.

Asides from Her Majesty the Queen all the others have died,I think the duke of Fife only died a few years back.

Yes indeed. So many memories. I wonder what she makes of the modern world sometimes.

And such a shorter than normal holiday in Balmoral this year.

Yes indeed. A strange year for us all.:sad:

:previous:
Love the orange coloured on the left end of the picture and light pink/purple on the right hand side, with blue/grey clouds scattering across the sky. Such as stark contrast to the colour of Balmoral Castle.

That beautiful sunset is a lovely example of the artwork of the Lord God.

Back
Top Bottom