The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The family circulates through the royal estates throughout the year. The monarch and members of the royal family carry out official engagements in the regional areas while on the estates. This will continue throughout William's reign.

Most of them do their engagements in Scotland either by staying at Holyrood or they fly up for the day.

They don't stay at Balmoral, or even on the estate, for their visits to Scotland at all (particularly as it is open to the public for 10 months a year - when the Queen is not in residence - and that is the time when they tend to do very few engagements anyway. There have been Augusts since 2000 when the Queen has done no engagements at all and the total for the family has been in the 30s).

William spends very little time in Scotland preferring Norfolk.

I don't see that changing at all when he is King. Certainly the long summer holiday in Scotland will be a thing of the past - to the princes it is the place where they heard the news of their mother and since they have been in their early 20s they have spent as little time there as possible.

Harry has often gone to Africa rather than to Scotland.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

York Family News and Pictures 2: September 2015

Little time there as possible- only 4 years at University and yearly Balmoral trips with his family since his marriage. Holyrood is open to the public too.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Royal Highness

[] - the difference when William is King is that unlike the Queen and Philip William & Kate and their generation take holidays overseas. The Queen doesn't so Balmoral is the closest thing she gets to a holiday. Whilst William will likely have to move out of BP (if indeed he ever lives their full time) he could easily move around where they go to - Sandringham, Windsor etc and take holidays overseas. Whatever happens if the children are still in school when William is King the dates will have to change somewhat - the Queen arrives in August and stays until October I think whereas the school holidays are July-September (which is btw the midge season in Scotland)
Old 08-11-2017, 06:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Little time there as possible- only 4 years at University and yearly Balmoral trips with his family since his marriage. Holyrood is open to the public too.
His trips to Balmoral have been for weekends only - one weekend a year - almost a duty visit and that is all.

We know this because they are often seen somewhere else within a few days of arriving in Scotland - pictures of them arriving there and then two or three days pictures of them somewhere else.

Having gone to university there doesn't mean he really likes the place - it was the university he gained the grades to enable him to get in on merit. He didn't want a repeat of his father and Uncle Edward, both of whom, went to Cambridge on their names and not on their marks.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:39 PM
Nobility

I think once William is monarch and has absolute control of Balmoral he'll make extensive use of it for summer holidays, even if the big castle is a museum at that point. Privacy is a precious commodity for him and Balmoral provides that.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

But so does the vast estate at Sandringham. There's no evidence really that either William or Kate are in love with Balmoral, Birkhall or the Scottish climate. In fact, as Pippa's husband James manages a fairly isolated hotel complex up in the Highlands, they might go there sometimes instead if they choose to holiday in Scotland for any length of time, always supposing that the Matthews family still owns the estate then.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Seeing as H.M.is in residence : All You Need to Know About Balmoral, the Queen’s Scottish Summer Castle!

Balmoral: All You Need to Know About the Queen’s Scottish Summer Castle - Vogue
Old 08-22-2017, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Seeing as H.M.is in residence : All You Need to Know About Balmoral, the Queen’s Scottish Summer Castle!

Balmoral: All You Need to Know About the Queen’s Scottish Summer Castle - Vogue
That seems a very American take on Balmoral. Elise Taylor is the scrib - and I cannot find a c.v. for her. hrrumph.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:20 AM
Majesty

New documentary about Balmoral

How the Queen Mother's snubbed Wallis Simpson at Balmoral | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Aristocracy

It would be nice for William to spend more time at Balmoral, cooking, riding horses, wearing kilts.

I supposed that William is different than his father and grandparents.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

The Cambridges just spent time at Balmoral a couple of weeks ago. William just finished with the air ambulance at the end of July. They had to get George ready to start school and make the move to KP from Norfolk. George starts school on Thursday. They can't really spend couple of months in Balmoral like the Queen and Prince of Wales do.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

No one really spends a 'couple of months' at Balmoral other than The Queen, Philip and Charles.

The rest go up for a few days, a week or something and then go away again. Sometimes they may go up two or three times during the Queen's stay there but they don't stay there for the entire time as they have their own lives to live.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Is the documentary this article references available on You tube? I would love to watch it but I live in the United States.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Is the documentary this article references available on You tube? I would love to watch it but I live in the United States.
No, not that I see.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Aristocracy

I believe Anne stays there as well.

Balmoral looks like a nice, peaceful haven to vacation.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Balmoral really is a picturesque and blessedly secluded place for the HM to retreat to for a few months out of the year to just breathe, walk in the wild with her corgis and have the family dropping by here and there for a family BBQ.

Its not all that much really of a relaxed, unstructured vacation though as from what I understand, Balmoral always runs on a pretty strict time schedule. They change clothes for just about everything on the schedule for that day. Its not only the Queen's family that comes to visit but also the Prime Minister and spouse come for a weekend or so along with friends that the Queen invites.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:33 AM
Majesty

Balmoral Castle on November 23!!

https://www.facebook.com/balmoralcas...CJdLa4ciHEOmJk
Old 11-25-2017, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Perfect Christmas card material,it looks just stunning.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:01 AM
Courtier

Thank you Eya for showing this. Winter wonder land in full view, how beautiful it is and so perfect it seems in a world of chaos. What a serene place to go when wanting peace and quiet.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Majesty

Balmoral Castle today!!

https://www.facebook.com/balmoralcas...9043086845948/