The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-15-2017, 11:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm not sure Camilla still rides. Charles does though.

To be a Balmoral; sipping tea, eating shortbread and in front of a fireplace is my kinda thing.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-15-2017, 11:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
We were discussing the comforts and discomforts of living at Balmoral castle though, (open fires etc) and I said it (the castle) doesn't seem to be inhabited in winter, that is the Queen, Prince Philip and their guests use it primarily in the summer and early autumn. Birkhall is a separate building. Thanks for the information anyway.
Balmoral Castle, itself, is open to the public for much of the year. Often when the Queen goes to Scotland for her summer holidays she has to stay somewhere else until Balmoral is available.

It isn't that comfortable because the older royals believe in putting on another jumper rather than putting on heaters etc. We have seen images of her rooms with a single bar heater in the fire place which would suggest not that warm.

Birkhall is on the Balmoral estate so I assumed you were referring to the entire estate and not the single building of Balmoral Castle.

None of the royal residences, of the older royals, are that set up for modern comforts due to their attitudes to being practical - they aren't centrally heated for instance.

Fireplaces aren't allowed in most of their homes any more due to the pollution situation, which is why the Queen has one bar heaters in the fire places in her private sitting room.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
New Year is the depths of winter and Charles and Camilla spend that time at Birkhall. Charles usually leaves Sandringham either on Christmas afternoon or on Boxing Day to go straight to Birkhall and he stays there until a week or so into January. Camilla usually joins him there for New Year itself having spent Christmas night and most of the next week with her children and grandchildren.

Charles most certainly goes there 'in the depths' of winter. This year he was still undertaking engagements in Scotland as late as 24th January when he had events at Dumfries House and that would mean staying at Birkhall.

All of Charles' engagements until the 24th January this year were in Scotland.

He was also there for an engagement on the 21st December.

That would point to him really moving to Scotland in late December, leaving on Christmas Eve to go to Sandringham and then returning either on Christmas Day or Boxing Day.

That would certainly say Charles is on the Balmoral estate in the 'depths of winter' to me.
Thank you, Iluvbertie. I trust Birkhall is cozy. I can understand the attraction. Has Charles updated Birkhall?
Old 04-16-2017, 12:04 AM
Majesty

Birkhall went under renovations after the queen mother died. Not only cosmetic, but things like the electric aspects were updated. It's possible some heating was considered though not central. Camilla over saw it. They even renovated the staff rooms at the time.

The queen often spends a week or two at Craigowan lodge, which is on the property but away from the main house, in the first weeks of summer. It is used at other times to house important guests.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Birkhall went under renovations after the queen mother died. Not only cosmetic, but things like the electric aspects were updated. It's possible some heating was considered though not central. Camilla over saw it. They even renovated the staff rooms at the time.
Why not? Would central heating be too expensive?
Old 04-16-2017, 12:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

One aspect would be cost but also they don't necessarily see a need for it - preferring to put on extra clothes rather than use heating. Charles, like his mother, is very comfortable with extra layers of clothes.

I imagine that William and Kate will have put central heating in Anmer - or certainly the private quarters in Anmer - but they are a younger generation who were raised with certain ideas as being regarded as 'normal' while their parents' and grandparents' see them as 'luxuries'. Remember that Charles and Camilla were 10 before WWII rationing ended in the UK and so they were raised with different ideas to even Andrew and Edward who didn't face those issues as children.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Iluvbertie.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Aristocracy

When Charles becomes King, I don't see him using Balmoral. He should let his older sister, Anne use it. She is popular among Scots than the rest of them!!!

Charles downsizing the British monarchy won't do well for the family. The junior royals should be embraced, such as the Princesses of York.

Balmoral Castle will probably be used by Charles and Camilla once in a while. I see him using Birkhall as it is right now as his Scottish holiday as King.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't mean to be rude (if the mods thinks I'm, then please delete this post), but after reading your posts, I must say that you have some opinions (about what should/will happen to the royals in the future) that are not consistent with the facts.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I don't mean to be rude (if the mods thinks I'm, then please delete this post), but after reading your posts, I must say that you have some opinions (about what should/will happen to the royals in the future) that are not consistent with the facts.
I'm just stating the future of Balmoral. Charles will use Birkhall, give Balmoral to the rest of the family.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Charles most certainly will have the freedom and the right to do whatever he wants to as far as the residences at both Balmoral and Sandringham.

I don't see him actually giving up the use of Balmoral because with the summer break being a couple of months, the monarch does hold "court" at Balmoral (to put it in a context that everything at Balmoral during his sojourn there isn't pure private holiday time) and has heads of state come to stay along with Prime Ministers and other diplomats.

It will be interesting to watch and see exactly what Charles does as far as residences though.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Why not? Would central heating be too expensive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
One aspect would be cost but also they don't necessarily see a need for it - preferring to put on extra clothes rather than use heating. Charles, like his mother, is very comfortable with extra layers of clothes.

I imagine that William and Kate will have put central heating in Anmer - or certainly the private quarters in Anmer - but they are a younger generation who were raised with certain ideas as being regarded as 'normal' while their parents' and grandparents' see them as 'luxuries'. Remember that Charles and Camilla were 10 before WWII rationing ended in the UK and so they were raised with different ideas to even Andrew and Edward who didn't face those issues as children.
I would be surprised if Birkhall was not centrally heated. The property is used all year, on and off, by the PoW and the DoC. Central heating in itself is a pretty basic amenity. In the colder months, in addition to the central heating, fires are probably lit in the key rooms to make them more comfortable.

As regards Amner, Sandringham, BP and Windsor, they will all be centrally heated throughout the building, no question about it. It is possible that some o these buildings don't get very warm because of poorly insulated windows.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

If Charles continues to use Birkhall, which I think he will, the main castle will either be William's home on the estate OR it will be open to the public for longer. It won't be given to anyone else.

Same thing at Sandringham. Charles will use the main house while William stays at Anmer. When William is King, I can see William staying at Anmer and George using the main house.

They seem to be setting up two solid homes on both estates - for the monarch and the heir - realising that in all likelihood there will be two generations of adult heirs for the next century of more so two homes on the main estates makes sense.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Majesty

Snowy scenes at Balmoral Castle this afternoon! Wow!!

https://www.facebook.com/balmoralcas...MELINE&fref=nf
Old 04-24-2017, 11:41 PM
Aristocracy

It's a shame that the Earl of Inverness (Andrew) doesn't visit Balmoral more. He needs to be more Scottishized.

When was the last time Andrew was at the Breamer Games? He has a Scottish name.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:59 PM
Majesty

Andrew has a Greek name. He isn't named for Saint Andrew, but for his grandfather Prince Andrew of Greece.

Not sure if last time he was there but was there in 2013

Prince Andrew decides not to get heavy at Highland Games; competitions roll on today
Old 04-25-2017, 12:11 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
When was the last time Andrew was at the Breamer Games? He has a Scottish name.
Its already been explained that Andrew's name comes from his Greek grandfather and was given to him when he was just days old. It would be kind of silly to expect everyone on the planet to gear their lives toward fitting the identity of the name they were given at birth.

Just as clothes do not make the man, neither do names. OPA!

Personally though, if I were fortunate enough to be able to live in the Aberdeenshire area (where Balmoral is), I would never want to leave. Beautiful country.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Andrew hasn't really attended anything much in Scotland for years. He usually accompanies Sarah up there when she makes her weekend visit, if she does, and then leaves with her.

He spends very little time at either of the Queen's country estates as he spends about two or three days at Balmoral and about 24 hours at Sandringham each year preferring to spend his time with his ex-wife who is persona non grata with the rest of the family.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Charles seems to enjoy Balmoral too ( or Birkhall) so I think he'd keep the tradition.
I'm not certain about William.
I saw a doc on Balmoral a few years ago while in England and it mentioned how Charles loves being up there but his kids are essentially indifferent. Balmoral visits will probably cease to exist under William.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver_bic View Post
I saw a doc on Balmoral a few years ago while in England and it mentioned how Charles loves being up there but his kids are essentially indifferent. Balmoral visits will probably cease to exist under William.
The family circulates through the royal estates throughout the year. The monarch and members of the royal family carry out official engagements in the regional areas while on the estates. This will continue throughout William's reign.

A.W. TOZER