The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-24-2016, 09:08 AM
Majesty

Christmas Eve Balmoral Castle & Estate. Looking like it might be a White Christmas!!

https://scontent.fath3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...cd&oe=58DBEF63

Old 12-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Majesty

^^^ Is that a very recent pic eya?

Old 12-24-2016, 12:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
^^^ Is that a very recent pic eya?
Yes from today!

https://www.facebook.com/balmoralcas...PAGES_TIMELINE
Old 12-24-2016, 12:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Nice time to be there and next to a fireplace.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-25-2016, 09:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post

Oh, thanks. Lovely!
Old 02-18-2017, 04:27 AM
Majesty

Balmoral Castle: A tour fit for the Queen | Barossa & Light Herald
Old 04-15-2017, 04:48 PM
Majesty

Easter at Balmoral Castle.

https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...fd&oe=594E239B
Old 04-15-2017, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

I watched some of the short videos of Balmoral in a wet, slushy snow storm (must have been from this past winter) and I was wondering: is Balmoral a cozy place? does it have sufficient heating to be a warm and inviting place? I assume it has plenty of fireplaces but I mean in a modern, up-to-date sense.

I have read that BP is quite 'primitive' by modern standards of comfort and luxury, which is being remedied by the renovations taking place now, so I was wondering if Balmoral is a similar situation. Anyone?
Old 04-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Majesty

Balmoral has been updated over decades. Not sure when last time. But unlike Windsor and Buckingham there hasn't been concern about asbestos and other work needing.

It seems she is thrifty even in heating

The Queen's thrifty approach to heating at Balmoral - Telegraph
Old 04-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the info, Countessmeout.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I imagine it's like a lot of other rather oldfashioned large British country houses, open fires in the principal rooms used by the family, a few large radiators elsewhere. Open fires are lovely if you are sitting close to them. However, I've experienced enough draughts up my back when further back to attest that they're not particularly efficient as most of the heat goes up the chimney! Of course the family, especially the Queen and Prince Philip, only really use Balmoral in the summer and early autumn.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I imagine it's like a lot of other rather oldfashioned large British country houses, open fires in the principal rooms used by the family, a few large radiators elsewhere. Open fires are lovely if you are sitting close to them. However, I've experienced enough draughts up my back when further back to attest that they're not particularly efficient as most of the heat goes up the chimney! Of course the family, especially the Queen and Prince Philip, only really use Balmoral in the summer and early autumn.
That's what I was wondering, too. So they are there when it wouldn't be that uncomfortable. The snowstorm looked lovely (though it was a sloppy, slushy, wet snow), and I can imagine how cozy it would be in a little cottage, well heated, candle-lit, and insulated. Heaven! I'd have my candles/incense burning with gingerbread in the oven (or other good stuff). I'm not a 'big old house' person, though I love to visit and tour them, and see the pictures. Cozy is always me goal.

BTW I though Charles went up there for New Year's, or is that the Castle of Mey?
Old 04-15-2017, 11:11 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think Charles usually goes to Birkhall which is on the Balmoral estate for New Year's. There is just something about the Windsors that seem to ooze hardiness when it comes to colder, crisp weather. No matter what the weather, Margaret Rhodes has been quoted as saying that it was always regarded as imperative to spend part of the day outdoors.

I'm with you with the cozy cabin and a fireplace. Its exactly what we have here and its so wonderful to get a raging snowstorm with three feet of snow outside and being cozy and comfortable inside with a roaring fire that keeps the cabin nice and snuggly warm. I'm not big on large houses either.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charles uses Birkhall throughout the year. He was there as recently as this past week as he had engagements at Dumfries House and when he has engagements there he stays at Birkhall. He often stays there for Easter as well. He spends more time in Scotland than any of the other royals based on the number of engagements he does there on successive days.

Anne does many engagements in Scotland but is often back in London for an evening engagement as well - as happened this past week as well.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Charles spends quite a bit of time on the Balmoral estate at Birkhall at different times of the year, though I'm not sure he goes there in the depths of winter. I think he and Camilla enjoy a good level of comfort at Birkhall but I don't believe he has the castle opened up.

The only person who seemed to love Balmoral all the time appears to have been Queen Victoria, and even she avoided it in the snowy season!

Considering my clumsiness I think I'd leave candles alone thanks, as I'd probably end up burning any cottage down. In fact I avoid snow altogether! The estate must be glorious in the summer, though. Walks, picnics, lakes, heather, a pony or two, lovely!
Old 04-15-2017, 11:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

New Year is the depths of winter and Charles and Camilla spend that time at Birkhall. Charles usually leaves Sandringham either on Christmas afternoon or on Boxing Day to go straight to Birkhall and he stays there until a week or so into January. Camilla usually joins him there for New Year itself having spent Christmas night and most of the next week with her children and grandchildren.

Charles most certainly goes there 'in the depths' of winter. This year he was still undertaking engagements in Scotland as late as 24th January when he had events at Dumfries House and that would mean staying at Birkhall.

All of Charles' engagements until the 24th January this year were in Scotland.

He was also there for an engagement on the 21st December.

That would point to him really moving to Scotland in late December, leaving on Christmas Eve to go to Sandringham and then returning either on Christmas Day or Boxing Day.

That would certainly say Charles is on the Balmoral estate in the 'depths of winter' to me.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:44 PM
Majesty

Do Charles and Camilla still ride? Both were big foxhunters for years...but I haven't seen pics of either of them riding in some time now.

LaRae
Old 04-15-2017, 11:51 PM
Heir Apparent

We were discussing the comforts and discomforts of living at Balmoral castle though, (open fires etc) and I said it (the castle) doesn't seem to be inhabited in winter, that is the Queen, Prince Philip and their guests use it primarily in the summer and early autumn. Birkhall is a separate building. Thanks for the information anyway.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charles rides in Trooping the Colour every year so I assume he still rides as it wouldn't be a good idea to only ride on that one day each year.

They no longer hunt as far as I am aware but I suspect they both still ride for pleasure.