Balmoral Castle

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I imagine it's like a lot of other rather oldfashioned large British country houses, open fires in the principal rooms used by the family, a few large radiators elsewhere. Open fires are lovely if you are sitting close to them. However, I've experienced enough draughts up my back when further back to attest that they're not particularly efficient as most of the heat goes up the chimney! Of course the family, especially the Queen and Prince Philip, only really use Balmoral in the summer and early autumn.

That's what I was wondering, too. So they are there when it wouldn't be that uncomfortable. :flowers: The snowstorm looked lovely (though it was a sloppy, slushy, wet snow), and I can imagine how cozy it would be in a little cottage, well heated, candle-lit, and insulated. Heaven! I'd have my candles/incense burning with gingerbread in the oven (or other good stuff). I'm not a 'big old house' person, though I love to visit and tour them, and see the pictures. Cozy is always me goal. ;)

BTW I though Charles went up there for New Year's, or is that the Castle of Mey?

Last edited:
I think Charles usually goes to Birkhall which is on the Balmoral estate for New Year's. There is just something about the Windsors that seem to ooze hardiness when it comes to colder, crisp weather. No matter what the weather, Margaret Rhodes has been quoted as saying that it was always regarded as imperative to spend part of the day outdoors.

I'm with you with the cozy cabin and a fireplace. Its exactly what we have here and its so wonderful to get a raging snowstorm with three feet of snow outside and being cozy and comfortable inside with a roaring fire that keeps the cabin nice and snuggly warm. I'm not big on large houses either.

Charles uses Birkhall throughout the year. He was there as recently as this past week as he had engagements at Dumfries House and when he has engagements there he stays at Birkhall. He often stays there for Easter as well. He spends more time in Scotland than any of the other royals based on the number of engagements he does there on successive days.

Anne does many engagements in Scotland but is often back in London for an evening engagement as well - as happened this past week as well.

I think Charles spends quite a bit of time on the Balmoral estate at Birkhall at different times of the year, though I'm not sure he goes there in the depths of winter. I think he and Camilla enjoy a good level of comfort at Birkhall but I don't believe he has the castle opened up.

The only person who seemed to love Balmoral all the time appears to have been Queen Victoria, and even she avoided it in the snowy season!

Considering my clumsiness I think I'd leave candles alone thanks, as I'd probably end up burning any cottage down. In fact I avoid snow altogether! The estate must be glorious in the summer, though. Walks, picnics, lakes, heather, a pony or two, lovely!

New Year is the depths of winter and Charles and Camilla spend that time at Birkhall. Charles usually leaves Sandringham either on Christmas afternoon or on Boxing Day to go straight to Birkhall and he stays there until a week or so into January. Camilla usually joins him there for New Year itself having spent Christmas night and most of the next week with her children and grandchildren.

Charles most certainly goes there 'in the depths' of winter. This year he was still undertaking engagements in Scotland as late as 24th January when he had events at Dumfries House and that would mean staying at Birkhall.

All of Charles' engagements until the 24th January this year were in Scotland.

He was also there for an engagement on the 21st December.

That would point to him really moving to Scotland in late December, leaving on Christmas Eve to go to Sandringham and then returning either on Christmas Day or Boxing Day.

That would certainly say Charles is on the Balmoral estate in the 'depths of winter' to me.

Do Charles and Camilla still ride? Both were big foxhunters for years...but I haven't seen pics of either of them riding in some time now.

LaRae

We were discussing the comforts and discomforts of living at Balmoral castle though, (open fires etc) and I said it (the castle) doesn't seem to be inhabited in winter, that is the Queen, Prince Philip and their guests use it primarily in the summer and early autumn. Birkhall is a separate building. Thanks for the information anyway.

Charles rides in Trooping the Colour every year so I assume he still rides as it wouldn't be a good idea to only ride on that one day each year.

They no longer hunt as far as I am aware but I suspect they both still ride for pleasure.

I'm not sure Camilla still rides. Charles does though.

To be a Balmoral; sipping tea, eating shortbread and in front of a fireplace is my kinda thing.

We were discussing the comforts and discomforts of living at Balmoral castle though, (open fires etc) and I said it (the castle) doesn't seem to be inhabited in winter, that is the Queen, Prince Philip and their guests use it primarily in the summer and early autumn. Birkhall is a separate building. Thanks for the information anyway.

Balmoral Castle, itself, is open to the public for much of the year. Often when the Queen goes to Scotland for her summer holidays she has to stay somewhere else until Balmoral is available.

It isn't that comfortable because the older royals believe in putting on another jumper rather than putting on heaters etc. We have seen images of her rooms with a single bar heater in the fire place which would suggest not that warm.

Birkhall is on the Balmoral estate so I assumed you were referring to the entire estate and not the single building of Balmoral Castle.

None of the royal residences, of the older royals, are that set up for modern comforts due to their attitudes to being practical - they aren't centrally heated for instance.

Fireplaces aren't allowed in most of their homes any more due to the pollution situation, which is why the Queen has one bar heaters in the fire places in her private sitting room.

New Year is the depths of winter and Charles and Camilla spend that time at Birkhall. Charles usually leaves Sandringham either on Christmas afternoon or on Boxing Day to go straight to Birkhall and he stays there until a week or so into January. Camilla usually joins him there for New Year itself having spent Christmas night and most of the next week with her children and grandchildren.

Charles most certainly goes there 'in the depths' of winter. This year he was still undertaking engagements in Scotland as late as 24th January when he had events at Dumfries House and that would mean staying at Birkhall.

All of Charles' engagements until the 24th January this year were in Scotland.

He was also there for an engagement on the 21st December.

That would point to him really moving to Scotland in late December, leaving on Christmas Eve to go to Sandringham and then returning either on Christmas Day or Boxing Day.

That would certainly say Charles is on the Balmoral estate in the 'depths of winter' to me.

Thank you, Iluvbertie. :flowers: I trust Birkhall is cozy. I can understand the attraction. Has Charles updated Birkhall?

Birkhall went under renovations after the queen mother died. Not only cosmetic, but things like the electric aspects were updated. It's possible some heating was considered though not central. Camilla over saw it. They even renovated the staff rooms at the time.

The queen often spends a week or two at Craigowan lodge, which is on the property but away from the main house, in the first weeks of summer. It is used at other times to house important guests.

Birkhall went under renovations after the queen mother died. Not only cosmetic, but things like the electric aspects were updated. It's possible some heating was considered though not central. Camilla over saw it. They even renovated the staff rooms at the time.

Why not? :cool: Would central heating be too expensive?

One aspect would be cost but also they don't necessarily see a need for it - preferring to put on extra clothes rather than use heating. Charles, like his mother, is very comfortable with extra layers of clothes.

I imagine that William and Kate will have put central heating in Anmer - or certainly the private quarters in Anmer - but they are a younger generation who were raised with certain ideas as being regarded as 'normal' while their parents' and grandparents' see them as 'luxuries'. Remember that Charles and Camilla were 10 before WWII rationing ended in the UK and so they were raised with different ideas to even Andrew and Edward who didn't face those issues as children.

When Charles becomes King, I don't see him using Balmoral. He should let his older sister, Anne use it. She is popular among Scots than the rest of them!!!

Charles downsizing the British monarchy won't do well for the family. The junior royals should be embraced, such as the Princesses of York.

Balmoral Castle will probably be used by Charles and Camilla once in a while. I see him using Birkhall as it is right now as his Scottish holiday as King.

:previous: I don't mean to be rude (if the mods thinks I'm, then please delete this post), but after reading your posts, I must say that you have some opinions (about what should/will happen to the royals in the future) that are not consistent with the facts.

:previous: I don't mean to be rude (if the mods thinks I'm, then please delete this post), but after reading your posts, I must say that you have some opinions (about what should/will happen to the royals in the future) that are not consistent with the facts.

I'm just stating the future of Balmoral. Charles will use Birkhall, give Balmoral to the rest of the family.

Charles most certainly will have the freedom and the right to do whatever he wants to as far as the residences at both Balmoral and Sandringham.

I don't see him actually giving up the use of Balmoral because with the summer break being a couple of months, the monarch does hold "court" at Balmoral (to put it in a context that everything at Balmoral during his sojourn there isn't pure private holiday time) and has heads of state come to stay along with Prime Ministers and other diplomats.

It will be interesting to watch and see exactly what Charles does as far as residences though.

Why not? :cool: Would central heating be too expensive?

One aspect would be cost but also they don't necessarily see a need for it - preferring to put on extra clothes rather than use heating. Charles, like his mother, is very comfortable with extra layers of clothes.

I imagine that William and Kate will have put central heating in Anmer - or certainly the private quarters in Anmer - but they are a younger generation who were raised with certain ideas as being regarded as 'normal' while their parents' and grandparents' see them as 'luxuries'. Remember that Charles and Camilla were 10 before WWII rationing ended in the UK and so they were raised with different ideas to even Andrew and Edward who didn't face those issues as children.

I would be surprised if Birkhall was not centrally heated. The property is used all year, on and off, by the PoW and the DoC. Central heating in itself is a pretty basic amenity. In the colder months, in addition to the central heating, fires are probably lit in the key rooms to make them more comfortable.

As regards Amner, Sandringham, BP and Windsor, they will all be centrally heated throughout the building, no question about it. It is possible that some o these buildings don't get very warm because of poorly insulated windows.

If Charles continues to use Birkhall, which I think he will, the main castle will either be William's home on the estate OR it will be open to the public for longer. It won't be given to anyone else.

Same thing at Sandringham. Charles will use the main house while William stays at Anmer. When William is King, I can see William staying at Anmer and George using the main house.

They seem to be setting up two solid homes on both estates - for the monarch and the heir - realising that in all likelihood there will be two generations of adult heirs for the next century of more so two homes on the main estates makes sense.

It's a shame that the Earl of Inverness (Andrew) doesn't visit Balmoral more. He needs to be more Scottishized.

When was the last time Andrew was at the Breamer Games? He has a Scottish name.

When was the last time Andrew was at the Breamer Games? He has a Scottish name.

Its already been explained that Andrew's name comes from his Greek grandfather and was given to him when he was just days old. It would be kind of silly to expect everyone on the planet to gear their lives toward fitting the identity of the name they were given at birth.

Just as clothes do not make the man, neither do names. :D OPA!

Personally though, if I were fortunate enough to be able to live in the Aberdeenshire area (where Balmoral is), I would never want to leave. Beautiful country.

Last edited:
Andrew hasn't really attended anything much in Scotland for years. He usually accompanies Sarah up there when she makes her weekend visit, if she does, and then leaves with her.

He spends very little time at either of the Queen's country estates as he spends about two or three days at Balmoral and about 24 hours at Sandringham each year preferring to spend his time with his ex-wife who is persona non grata with the rest of the family.

Last edited:
Charles seems to enjoy Balmoral too ( or Birkhall) so I think he'd keep the tradition.
I'm not certain about William.

I saw a doc on Balmoral a few years ago while in England and it mentioned how Charles loves being up there but his kids are essentially indifferent. Balmoral visits will probably cease to exist under William.

I saw a doc on Balmoral a few years ago while in England and it mentioned how Charles loves being up there but his kids are essentially indifferent. Balmoral visits will probably cease to exist under William.

The family circulates through the royal estates throughout the year. The monarch and members of the royal family carry out official engagements in the regional areas while on the estates. This will continue throughout William's reign.

The family circulates through the royal estates throughout the year. The monarch and members of the royal family carry out official engagements in the regional areas while on the estates. This will continue throughout William's reign.

Most of them do their engagements in Scotland either by staying at Holyrood or they fly up for the day.

They don't stay at Balmoral, or even on the estate, for their visits to Scotland at all (particularly as it is open to the public for 10 months a year - when the Queen is not in residence - and that is the time when they tend to do very few engagements anyway. There have been Augusts since 2000 when the Queen has done no engagements at all and the total for the family has been in the 30s).

William spends very little time in Scotland preferring Norfolk.

I don't see that changing at all when he is King. Certainly the long summer holiday in Scotland will be a thing of the past - to the princes it is the place where they heard the news of their mother and since they have been in their early 20s they have spent as little time there as possible.

Harry has often gone to Africa rather than to Scotland.

Last edited:
York Family News and Pictures 2: September 2015

Little time there as possible- only 4 years at University and yearly Balmoral trips with his family since his marriage. Holyrood is open to the public too.

Back
Top Bottom