The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
In September 1848, Queen Victoria described Balmoral Castle as "A pretty little castle in the old Scottish style".

Of course the present castle isn't the same one as Queen Victoria saw in 1848. That one was the one they used until the present castle was commissioned and built in the 1850s when they realised that the one they saw in 1848 was too small for their growing family.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Gentry

Travel to Balmoral

How does the Royal Family typically travel to Balmoral?

Old 03-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Serene Highness

The original medieval estate was called "Bouchmorale".
Bouchmorale is Gaelic for "majestic dwelling".
Old 07-18-2014, 02:02 AM
Aristocracy

Queen set to begin Balmoral summer break
Old 07-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristens View Post
How does the Royal Family typically travel to Balmoral?

Before it was decommissioned I think they use to go on their summer cruise on Britannia around Scotland and then dock in Scotland and I imagine drive to Balmoral.

Nowadays the Queen and Charles fly, interestingly they are the only royals for whom official royal funds will cover the cost of flying from residence to residence by private or royal jet, so the Queen and Charles fly from London to Aberdeen. I imagine other royals either fly scheduled or pay for their own private jet or try their hardest to find some official engagements in Scotland to fly from the south to! ;-)

Driving would take a long long time as would a train. I think I may have read somewhere that in years fine by the royal train use to be packed up with all the royal families items, clothes, crockery, etc and travel up to Scotland while they were on board their summer cruise.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Nowadays the Queen and Charles fly, interestingly they are the only royals for whom official royal funds will cover the cost of flying from residence to residence by private or royal jet\...Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
The Vanity Fair article this month said said William, Catherine and Cheeks flew in the Duke of Westminster's Cessna to Balmoral last year. The DM also covered this (well, Katie N.) at the time.
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 07-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Courtier

I think they will do that more often now they have George, I guess they also have more stuff to take, a nanny, security etc. as well as the privacy side, and hey if your godfather has a private jet he is willing to lend you, who would honestly turn him down!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 07-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Serene Highness

It's actually the Duchess of Westminster whose is William's godparent not the Duke.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Serene Highness

In The Queen & Her Court, Jerrold M. Packard wrote:

Victoria and her husband became so caught up with their Scottish home that some wags referred to their stiff court behavior as "Balmorality."
Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
In The Queen & Her Court, Jerrold M. Packard wrote:

Victoria and her husband became so caught up with their Scottish home that some wags referred to their stiff court behavior as "Balmorality."
Now that is a creative use of the English language if you ask me.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Now that is a creative use of the English language if you ask me.
Osipi, Very well expressed!!!
Balmorality as a vocabulary word would have occurred before December 14, 1861.
December 14, 1861 is the day of the demise of Prince Albert.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:41 AM
Nobility

I saw it mentioned in the Cambridge thread that William was given the sole use of a house on the Balmoral estate on his 18th birthday. Is this the case or is it just on an as and when basis?
Old 07-31-2014, 09:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If the information came from a tabloid then we'll never know for sure.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
It's the Scottish retreat beloved of Queen Victoria - and subsequent generations of royal holidaymakers, the Queen and the Duke of Cambridge among them, love it just as much.
Now, as the Queen arrives at the Aberdeenshire castle to begin her annual summer break, vintage photos reveal just how happy her memories of summers spent there really are.
From her earliest visits as a tiny child with her parents King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to 1950s family picnics with the corgis in tow, Balmoral has long been a haven where family pleasures come first.
A rare peek inside the Queen's Balmoral holiday photo album | Mail Online

I always enjoy seeing older relaxed photos of the RF like these. I haven't seen many photos of Peter Philips when he was a child, but can I just say that he was adorable. In this photo of a young Prince William, I can see a lot of resemblance to Prince George.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
A rare peek inside the Queen's Balmoral holiday photo album | Mail Online

I always enjoy seeing older relaxed photos of the RF like these.
The picture of small Prince Charles Philip Arthur George riding on a sculpture is superb!
A truly magnificent three generation photograph to cherish!