The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for the pictures, Duke. Great, great photo of HM at her desk with her ubiquitous corgis and red box. How she's able to work with such beautiful scenery outside her window is beyond me; she's obviously very disciplined and accustomed to the beauty of nature around her. And the stag's head on the bedroom wall is certainly typical of a country hunting residence.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Serene Highness

This week I watched a you tube documentary about balmoral, wanting to find out a little more on the BRF Scottish residence:

Only that I did learn a couple of things like balmoral is the "test place", balmoral is the place where they fish and hunt and if you don't like to do this then balmoral is not for you, but I also found it a bore unfortunately, maybe because it's an old documentary from the 90s?

Old 03-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Serene Highness

Balmoral is such a Scottish country retreat with kilt design everywhere and according to the video do they still keep the deer heads on the walls?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

By Royal App-ointment: New smartphone programme allows users to tour Balmoral
Quote:
Visitors can now tour Balmoral, the Queen’s Scottish estate, from the comfort of their sofas – thanks to a smartphone application. The free download gives an hour-long audio tour of the estate, which was bought by Prince Albert in 1848. It features photographs, a map and interviews with staff and concentrates on explaining how Queen Victoria made Balmoral Castle a family home.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Serene Highness

I tried it out but I found it best to have it when actually visiting balmoral otherwise it's just a picture, it's best to listen which being there.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

Why the Queen wants to build on her rural retreat - Telegraph

Mandrake can disclose that the monarch wants to allow land at Balmoral, her privately owned estate in Aberdeenshire, to be used for low-cost properties to help local people get a foot on the housing ladder.

Land has been earmarked near the Prince of Wales’s retreat at Birkhall for the unique development, which is being overseen by Hank Dittmar, the chief executive of the Prince’s Foundation for Building Community.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Abergeldie Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since the BRF gave up their lease on Abergeldie Castle in 1970 does anyone know who uses the castle now?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Abergeldie Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since the BRF gave up their lease on Abergeldie Castle in 1970 does anyone know who uses the castle now?
According to this link Abergeldie - Castles of Clan Gordon Wiki

Quote:
The castle at present is occupied by the 21st Laird John Gordon, Baron of Abergeldie. He has been living there since 1972.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here are some beautiful and refreshing photos I just found while looking for pics of the Queen at church, today.

It is logging, the old fashioned way with horses at Balmoral. Gorgeous work and woods!

Search - Getty Images UK: balmoral horse logging, GBR: Horse Logging On The Balmoral Estate
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Queen's sitting room at Balmoral from the Daily Mail

Pictured: The Queen's sitting room at Balmoral... and a photo of great-grandson George takes pride of place | Mail Online
Old 09-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Commoner

Somone are living in Balmoral castle now?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazmin View Post
Somone are living in Balmoral castle now?
The Queen and her family and guests are usually in residence at Balmoral during their summer holidays. I think from August til late September if I remember correctly. I'm sure someone on here has more exact information than I do.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:35 PM
Majesty

Yes - The Queen and DoE are currently in residence at Balmoral Castle with Charles and Camilla at Birkhall.

They should be returning to London in the next two weeks.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Yes - The Queen and DoE are currently in residence at Balmoral Castle with Charles and Camilla at Birkhall. They should be returning to London in the next two weeks.
The Queen is returning next week after engagements in Aberdeen on 1st October.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:38 AM
Majesty

I don't think it has been announced whether it is this week or next week but she will be in London next week as she has an engagement in London on the 9th. Prior to that she has engagements in Aberdeen on the 1st so she could be returning to London this week or it could be next week but she does have to be back next week.

Philip has to be back in England this week as he has an engagement at Sandringham on Monday.

Charles will have to leave Scotland today as he has one engagement in Scotland and one in Wales today - 29th September. However he is back in Scotland on Monday.

The FE on the British Monarchy site and the Diary on the PoW site both have neither Charles nor Camilla with any engagements in October. The FE also didn't list Charles engagement on the 30th September so maybe they will remain in Scotland for October, although I do expect them to be in London on the 23rd - but who knows?
Old 09-29-2013, 07:16 AM
Courtier

The FA football game at BP is October 7 that William is hosting. All of the articles about the event said the Queen won't be home for it. Today is the last day to tour BP for the public opening.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't think it has been announced whether it is this week or next week but she will be in London next week as she has an engagement in London on the 9th. Prior to that she has engagements in Aberdeen on the 1st so she could be returning to London this week or it could be next week but she does have to be back next week.
I'm just going off this which was posted on the 26th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Martin ‏@MartinRoyalUK 39m The Queen will be travelling back down to London from Balmoral next week, after completing several engagements in Aberdeen on 1st October.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Nobility

Does anyone have the layout/floor plan of Birkhall?

How many rooms?

How many bedrooms in total (I read that the Queen mum added 6 bedrooms.)

Any other info and pictures?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Courtier

In September 1848, Queen Victoria described Balmoral Castle as "A pretty little castle in the old Scottish style".
Old 02-20-2014, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
In September 1848, Queen Victoria described Balmoral Castle as "A pretty little castle in the old Scottish style".
I am really finding your tidbits of information about various things around the threads very interesting and very informative and want to send a thank you for doing this for us.

I think out of all the royal residences, the one I would most like to spend time at would be Balmoral. For some reason, I'm really drawn to Scotland.