XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow: July 23-August 3, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spheno

Royal Highness
City
NN
Country
Lithuania
Glasgow, Scotland from 23 July to 3 August 2014

The Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will open the XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on Wednesday 23 July 2014.

The opening ceremony at Celtic Park will also be attended by The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall and The Earl and Countess of Wessex.

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will visit Commonwealth Games sites on Thursday 24 July. The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will visit a Commonwealth Games venue in advance of the opening ceremony on 23 July.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Commonwealth Games on Monday 28 and Tuesday 29 July.

The Earl of Wessex, Vice Patron, The Commonwealth Games Federation, and The Countess of Wessex will attend events throughout the two weeks of the Games. The Earl will close the Commonwealth Games on Sunday 3 August.

The Princess Royal, Patron, Scottish Rugby Union, will attend the Commonwealth Games on Saturday 26 July.

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will attend the Commonwealth Games on Thursday 24 and Friday 25 July.

Watching the opening ceremony and it was touching to see the Malaysian team wearing black armbands and waving their flag at half mast as a mark of respect to the MH17 victims.

Does any Australian know if we are getting any coverage?

I only watch channels 7 and 10 and haven't seen any promotion for the games so assume it is channel 9 that is covering them - but colleagues at work say they watch 9 and have seen no promotion there. One said that she doesn't think there is going to be any live coverage on TV at all.

Can any Aussie help?

We were discussing this issue over lunch today as no one had even realised that they had started this morning as no kids talking about them, no promotion etc on the TV, limited coverage of things on the news - other than the flag bearer and Sally Pearson and the 100 metres no one could say they had heard anything about the team or the event. We knew it was about now - as one of our students just missed selection (as he is only 17 and has made the Junior Worlds we weren't surprised he missed selection) and he is in Year 12 and had indicated that he may have trouble completing his HSC Trial Examinations which start on Monday if selected for either the Commonwealth Games or the Worlds.

Iluvbertie: Channel 10 and Channel One are covering the Games. Channel 10 has coverage starting at either 8.30 or 9.30 tonight and going all night, according to the Australian TV Guide search I just did. Channel One has it at other times.

I love heather in a bouquet!

So do I!! The Queen Mum's Bridal Bouquet was made up of Heather and White Roses (for The Rose of York and also one of my two very favourite flowers). Sadly to my knowledge there are no pictures of it or at least that I've ever seen. It must have been stunningly gorgeous.

We nearly hit the floor of our Living Room laughing over that. :D. Beyond priceless!!

Speaking of beyond priceless...Whoever it was that came up w/the idea of using the Scotty Terriers to "carry" the signs that identified each Nation and lead them into the Stadium was BRILLIANT!!! Those furry four legged sweeties just literally stole the show. I've been trying to find pictures of Canada's lil guy all evening and have come up w/nothing. I had a very sleepless night due to trying out some new earring wire wrapping patterns, really liking the one and then thanks to inspiration hitting me...The next thing I knew, it was almost 6am EST. After taking my AM Meds, I re set my alarm for 3 pm, but it didn't go off and by the time I woke up and got the coverage on the CBC on, the Parade of Nations was in the O's.

So if anyone could find a picture of Team Canada being led in w/their Terrier for us please and thank you, I'd really appreciate it. Both because I and my Parents would love to see it, but also because I read at one point his handler picked him up and was waving his paw at the crowd. That would be such a big time Awwww thing to see, but if it's out there, I haven't seen it.

And I mean I've looked. Nothing at Pinterest, nothing at Twitter and nothing over at the CBC...Unless I'm using the wrong search terms, but 2014 Commonwealth Games Glasgow Scottish Terriers Opening Ceremony should have brought *something* up you would think!! Thanks again in advance!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Iluvbertie: Channel 10 and Channel One are covering the Games. Channel 10 has coverage starting at either 8.30 or 9.30 tonight and going all night, according to the Australian TV Guide search I just did. Channel One has it at other times.

Thanks for that - strange that they haven't promoted it during Masterchef, which I do watch every night.

Video:
QUEEN ARRIVES FOR THE COMMONWEALTH GAMES
Home - ITNSource News

Video:
The Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony in Glasgow finished with a giant bang as a fireworks display completed the celebration-
Home - ITNSource News

Video:
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have been to see the National Hockey Centre where they toured the venue, watched some hockey and met with athletes-
Home - ITNSource News

Does any Australian know if we are getting any coverage?

I only watch channels 7 and 10 and haven't seen any promotion for the games so assume it is channel 9 that is covering them - but colleagues at work say they watch 9 and have seen no promotion there. One said that she doesn't think there is going to be any live coverage on TV at all.

Can any Aussie help?

We were discussing this issue over lunch today as no one had even realised that they had started this morning as no kids talking about them, no promotion etc on the TV, limited coverage of things on the news - other than the flag bearer and Sally Pearson and the 100 metres no one could say they had heard anything about the team or the event. We knew it was about now - as one of our students just missed selection (as he is only 17 and has made the Junior Worlds we weren't surprised he missed selection) and he is in Year 12 and had indicated that he may have trouble completing his HSC Trial Examinations which start on Monday if selected for either the Commonwealth Games or the Worlds.
What an incredible achievement for him at such an early age? What event does he participate in?

Video:
The Queen and Duke continued their tour of sports venues by visiting the Tollcross International Swimming Centre. Here the Royal couple met volunteers and athletes, and watched some of the swimming races-
Home - ITNSource News

Video:
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's final engagement of the day was at the Commonwealth Games Village. The Royal couple met athletes from across the Commonwealth, before attending a lunch-
Home - ITNSource News

How priceless is this!?! Talk about a heck of a keepsake and the sheer delight and, dare I say, wee bit of mischievous delight on her face says it all, doesn't it?

Not a bad start for Team Canada w/a Medal of every colour after Day One. After watching Day One from the pool...Holy Woowza that's a really fast pool. I can see more than a few WRs falling by the wayside by the end of the meet. I think, IIRC, there were at least five Cdn Records smashed and that's only Day One!! Going to be fun to watch!! :D :rubbing hands in glee:

Oh and just like every major Intl Swim Meet I watch....I may only remember odd snatches of Advance Australia Fair now, but by the end of things, I'll have relearned the whole thing once more. Until next time that is. :) I like singing along w/other Countries National Anthems if I know. To me it shows respect to the Athletes, regardless if I'm at the event or watching on TV or online.

Of course Oh Canada is my favourite one to sing, but that's no shock I'm guessing. :D

Speaking of Anthems...I heard Jerusalem used for Team England and The Flower of Scotland for the host Team, but my Dad wanted to know about Wales and Northern Ireland's Anthems, but I didn't have a clue. Anyone know and Thanks in Advance!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Northern Ireland is the Londonderry Air.

Wales uses Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau (usually loosely translated into English as Land of My Fathers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom