The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-14-2014, 02:08 AM
Courtier

XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow

Glasgow, Scotland from 23 July to 3 August 2014

The Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will open the XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on Wednesday 23 July 2014.

The opening ceremony at Celtic Park will also be attended by The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall and The Earl and Countess of Wessex.

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will visit Commonwealth Games sites on Thursday 24 July. The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will visit a Commonwealth Games venue in advance of the opening ceremony on 23 July.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Commonwealth Games on Monday 28 and Tuesday 29 July.

The Earl of Wessex, Vice Patron, The Commonwealth Games Federation, and The Countess of Wessex will attend events throughout the two weeks of the Games. The Earl will close the Commonwealth Games on Sunday 3 August.

The Princess Royal, Patron, Scottish Rugby Union, will attend the Commonwealth Games on Saturday 26 July.

The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will attend the Commonwealth Games on Thursday 24 and Friday 25 July.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well - here is a dustup over the Scots team parade Uniforms. The plaid is gorgeous and I am thrilled for the athletes: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/horrendous...4.html#yi918Go

Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Majesty

Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Rothesay have been given a tour around the Emirates arena in Glasgow meeting with athletes, volunteers and officials-
http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTer...IRATES%20ARENA

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Nobility

The Queen arrives into Glasgow by royal train before receiving rapturous applause at Celtic Park ahead of speech to declare the Commonwealth Games officially open | Mail Online
Old 07-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

Watching the opening ceremony and it was touching to see the Malaysian team wearing black armbands and waving their flag at half mast as a mark of respect to the MH17 victims.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Fotobanka ?TK
Old 07-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

H.M.Queen Elizabeth II opens the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games

Hello

British royals attend Commonwealth Games opening ceremony - hellomagazine.com
Old 07-23-2014, 07:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love heather in a bouquet!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Nobility

Anyone know how to open this baton? Queen laughs in delight as Commonwealth boss and Sir Chris Hoy fumble to get her speech out of Games symbol | Mail Online
Old 07-24-2014, 12:24 AM
Majesty

Does any Australian know if we are getting any coverage?

I only watch channels 7 and 10 and haven't seen any promotion for the games so assume it is channel 9 that is covering them - but colleagues at work say they watch 9 and have seen no promotion there. One said that she doesn't think there is going to be any live coverage on TV at all.

Can any Aussie help?

We were discussing this issue over lunch today as no one had even realised that they had started this morning as no kids talking about them, no promotion etc on the TV, limited coverage of things on the news - other than the flag bearer and Sally Pearson and the 100 metres no one could say they had heard anything about the team or the event. We knew it was about now - as one of our students just missed selection (as he is only 17 and has made the Junior Worlds we weren't surprised he missed selection) and he is in Year 12 and had indicated that he may have trouble completing his HSC Trial Examinations which start on Monday if selected for either the Commonwealth Games or the Worlds.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:53 AM
Nobility

Old 07-24-2014, 01:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Iluvbertie: Channel 10 and Channel One are covering the Games. Channel 10 has coverage starting at either 8.30 or 9.30 tonight and going all night, according to the Australian TV Guide search I just did. Channel One has it at other times.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:26 AM
Nobility

A giant haggis, cabers, golf clubs, 41 Scottish terriers, Rod Stewart, Billy Connolly, the Queen, lashings of self-deprecation and even a gay kiss - Glasgow's Commonwealth Games begin in style | Mail Online

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...-ceremony.html
Old 07-24-2014, 01:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I love heather in a bouquet!

So do I!! The Queen Mum's Bridal Bouquet was made up of Heather and White Roses (for The Rose of York and also one of my two very favourite flowers). Sadly to my knowledge there are no pictures of it or at least that I've ever seen. It must have been stunningly gorgeous.

We nearly hit the floor of our Living Room laughing over that. . Beyond priceless!!

Speaking of beyond priceless...Whoever it was that came up w/the idea of using the Scotty Terriers to "carry" the signs that identified each Nation and lead them into the Stadium was BRILLIANT!!! Those furry four legged sweeties just literally stole the show. I've been trying to find pictures of Canada's lil guy all evening and have come up w/nothing. I had a very sleepless night due to trying out some new earring wire wrapping patterns, really liking the one and then thanks to inspiration hitting me...The next thing I knew, it was almost 6am EST. After taking my AM Meds, I re set my alarm for 3 pm, but it didn't go off and by the time I woke up and got the coverage on the CBC on, the Parade of Nations was in the O's.

So if anyone could find a picture of Team Canada being led in w/their Terrier for us please and thank you, I'd really appreciate it. Both because I and my Parents would love to see it, but also because I read at one point his handler picked him up and was waving his paw at the crowd. That would be such a big time Awwww thing to see, but if it's out there, I haven't seen it.

And I mean I've looked. Nothing at Pinterest, nothing at Twitter and nothing over at the CBC...Unless I'm using the wrong search terms, but 2014 Commonwealth Games Glasgow Scottish Terriers Opening Ceremony should have brought *something* up you would think!! Thanks again in advance!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-24-2014, 01:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Iluvbertie: Channel 10 and Channel One are covering the Games. Channel 10 has coverage starting at either 8.30 or 9.30 tonight and going all night, according to the Australian TV Guide search I just did. Channel One has it at other times.
Thanks for that - strange that they haven't promoted it during Masterchef, which I do watch every night.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:27 AM
Nobility

What’s inside the Queen’s £1,000 handbag? - Telegraph

Commonwealth Games 2014: the Queen laughs off baton hitch - Telegraph
Old 07-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Majesty

Video:
QUEEN ARRIVES FOR THE COMMONWEALTH GAMES
Home - ITNSource News

Video:
The Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony in Glasgow finished with a giant bang as a fireworks display completed the celebration-
Home - ITNSource News

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Majesty

Video:
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have been to see the National Hockey Centre where they toured the venue, watched some hockey and met with athletes-
Home - ITNSource News

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Does any Australian know if we are getting any coverage?

I only watch channels 7 and 10 and haven't seen any promotion for the games so assume it is channel 9 that is covering them - but colleagues at work say they watch 9 and have seen no promotion there. One said that she doesn't think there is going to be any live coverage on TV at all.

Can any Aussie help?

We were discussing this issue over lunch today as no one had even realised that they had started this morning as no kids talking about them, no promotion etc on the TV, limited coverage of things on the news - other than the flag bearer and Sally Pearson and the 100 metres no one could say they had heard anything about the team or the event. We knew it was about now - as one of our students just missed selection (as he is only 17 and has made the Junior Worlds we weren't surprised he missed selection) and he is in Year 12 and had indicated that he may have trouble completing his HSC Trial Examinations which start on Monday if selected for either the Commonwealth Games or the Worlds.
What an incredible achievement for him at such an early age? What event does he participate in?