The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I always assumed that M-W as a surname would officially come in to play with Harry's children. Silly me.

I am pretty sure Charles didn't use a surname at the 1981 wedding. Don't know about 2005.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Majesty

There are a number of reports, coming out since 1981, that on the marriage certificate Charles name was put down as 'Mountbatten-Windsor' as was Anne's.

The column for surname was filled in and that was what was put there.
The alternative would be to leave the surname column blank.
Who put it there though is another question as I have also read that it was done after Charles and Diana left the registry at St Paul's - so they had signed it and then it was filled in with Mountbatten-Windsor.

Andrew also used Mountbatten-Windsor on his marriage certificate.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Gentry

I have a question also. Why then are Prince William and Prince Harry called by the last name Wales in the Military ?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I have a question also. Why then are Prince William and Prince Harry called by the last name Wales in the Military ?
Most likely because as they are HRH they do not use a surname. As they are Princes of Wales. they go by William Wales and Harry Wales.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post

This is also traditional - the royal children of a royal duke use that duke's designation as their surname. The York girls also use York as a surname although it actually isn't their surname at all but it is also a lot simpler than Mountbatten-Windsor. (Maybe Philip should have adopted 'Smith' as his name when he became a British subject)
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Can you imagine if they had their original surnames and put them together? The House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha-Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg. I like it actually!

Dont forget Wettin

The House of Wettin-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha-Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg

But in all actuality I believe since the current royal family is a decedent from Queen Victoria, who was formally Princess Victoria of Kent, they should be the House of Wettin-Hanover or just the house of Hanover.

However, I do like the Idea of House of Hanover-Kent. After all Victoria's Father was Duke of Kent.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I always assumed that M-W as a surname would officially come in to play with Harry's children. Silly me.

I am pretty sure Charles didn't use a surname at the 1981 wedding. Don't know about 2005.
HRH Charles only used his given names during the Marriage ceremony in 1981 which Di famously flubbed.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIM_David View Post
HRH Charles only used his given names during the Marriage ceremony in 1981 which Di famously flubbed.

That is all people do use during the cereminy but when they fill in the paperwork a surname is one of the spaces.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 AM

Charles last name

Hello,
i'm from Germany an I hope my english is good enough for you to understand.

The last two hours I read a lot about the british royal family and I have found a few different informations about some facts. Maybe you can help me and tell me what is right an wrong.

First I have read that the names "Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha" and "Battenberg" were changed into "Windsor" and "Mountbatten" in 1917 by King Georg V.
So HM The Queen is a born Windsor and HRH Prince Philip was born as a Mountbatten.
My first question: After or with the marriage of this both, has anyone of them changed it's last name? Or are they still a Windsor and a Mountbatten?

And whats about the children like Charles. Whats normal in the british royal house. Does the childs get the surname of the Queen or of the father, even if he is only prince consort and not the king?

And then I read something about a declaration of the queen from 1952/1960. That means that she bears the name of Windsor. Her descendants should be Windsor-Mountbatten's, unless they are bearing one of the titels HRH, Prince or Princess.

So Charles is a known as His Royal Highness and should bear the name Windsor. But I can find a lot of pages, were Charles is called a Mountbatten-Windsor.
(The german wikipedia: Charles Mountbatten-Windsor, Prince of Wales
or another german pagewith a portrait: Prinz Charles - Portrait auf WUNDERWEIB.de)

I'm really confused , please help a new german member.
Thousand thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Majesty

In 1917 the British Royal Family changed its family name from the German name of Prince Albert to that of Windsor so Elizabeth was born with Windsor as her family name.

In the same year Prince Louis of Battenburg changed his name from the German to Mountbatten. Prince Louis' daughter was Prince Philip's mother.

In 1947, when Philip renounced his Greek and Danish titles he took the Anglicised version of his mother's family's name and became Philip Mountbatten and it was with that name that he was married.

Both Prince Charles and Princess Anne were born with the surname of Mountbatten, but never used it as George VI issued LPs to give them the styles of HRH Prince/Princess from birth - otherwise Anne would have been born Lady Anne Mountbatten and Charles would have been Lord Charles Mountbatten, Earl of Merioneth.

When the Queen ascended the throne in 1952 she issued a statement that said that her children were to have the family name of Windsor - upsetting Philip in the process as it meant that he couldn't give his name to his own children.

In 1960 a compromise was reached whereby those children and grandchildren who aren't HRH Prince/Princess will have the surnam Mountbatten-Windsor. The first to formally use that name was Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor, especially in the wedding service for Prince William.

ALL of the Queen's children, if they have a surname at all it is Mountbatten-Windsor and on both Anne and Charles' first marriage registers that name appears but it isn't clear who put it in - they themselves or some official filling in the paperwork.

The announcement in 1960 also said that the Mountbatten-Windsor name only applied to those descendents who needed a surname and those who are HRH Prince/Princess don't need a surname on a day to day basis.

Technically Charles, William, Harry, Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie, Edward, Louise and Sophie (and the spouses of the males) are Mountbatten-Windsor due to the joining of their father's and their mother's names.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:40 AM

Thank you very much iluvbertie.
So if I have understood right, The Queen is still a Windsor an her husband still a Mountbatten but they do not need to bear a surname, because of her titles.
And Charles and Anne were born as Mountbattens but they never used the surname for the same reasons. Right so far?

So it was normal that the children bears the name of the father even though the mother hold a higer style or title? And thats what the Queen changed in 1952? Very interesting. I thought the person with the higher titel hands the name down to the childs.

So the Queen curtails a right of her husband and in 1960 the compromise gave Philip a part of his old rights back. And from now on the childs should named Mountbatten-Windsor.
So Charles and Anne were born as Mountbatten, changed the name in 1952 in Windsor an then 1960 in Mountbatten-Windsor, Andrew and Edward were born as Mountbatten-Windsor. But not really, because they do not need a surname too? In the birth certificates is it written, but it is not used? Am I right?

You write, that the spouses of the males get Mountbatten-Windsors too, so Kate is a M.-W. today, not longer a Middleton? But she do not use the surname because she is a RH.
So if a woman marries a member of the royal family, she gets the name, if a man marries a member of the royal family he do not change his name, an stop using his "old" surname, if he became a RH. Right?

Thanks for your patience.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes if a woman marries into the royal family she assumes the surname (if required) of her husband.
If a man marries into the royal family he keeps his own surname.....Philip Mountbatten, Anthony Armstrong-Jones, Mark Phillips, etc and with the exception of Prince Philip his children bear his surname.
The name of the royal house remains Windsor but descendents of QEII requiring a surname use the family name Mountbatten-Windsor.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 AM

I think I figured it out with your help (if i have not done a mistake in my last summary post), there is just one little question. Do they not have a surname or have they one on the paper which they are simply not using.
Is the surname cleared if a person gained a title or just (i do not know the right word) muted/silent?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

They have a surname but generally an HRH has no use for a surname. They only sign with their Christian name.
The Duke of Cambridge uses William Wales as an officer in the armed forces. The Duke of York's children went by Beatrice York and Eugenie York at university. The then Prince Richard of Gloucester went by Richard Gloucester when he was a practicing architect in London.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It still is a pet peeve of mine when we hear of females that have married into the royal family still referred to by their former surname such as Camilla Parker-Bowles, Kate Middleton and Sarah Ferguson. In my mind I feel that at least the media could use the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Courtier

I hate that two. Well at least with Camilla they are getting right finely.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It still is a pet peeve of mine when we hear of females that have married into the royal family still referred to by their former surname such as Camilla Parker-Bowles, Kate Middleton and Sarah Ferguson. In my mind I feel that at least the media could use the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.
I agree. It seems like the media thinks people are too simple-minded to recognize them when referred to by their proper names.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Courtier

Why would W&H and B&E use those names if they had the W-M option at hand? Now they are associated with these names, but that wasn't the case when they started using them.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:06 AM

Sorry, sometimes for me it is difficult to translate/understand.
The Duke of Cambridge, Prince William is William Wales and his Brother is Harry Wales. The Reason? The father of them is The Prince of Wales?

And you Osipi are angry about womans which are keeping the old surname after a wedding? So is this made by the media or is it really? Is Camilla Parker-Bowles still a Parker Bowles and Kate still a Middleton or are both of them Mountbatten-Windsors (and do not use the surnames)?

Confused again?!?!
Have the Ladys found a loophole to keep the old (used) surnames?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post

I hate that two. Well at least with Camilla they are getting right finely.
my english is not good enough to understand this joke...

But I think you do not like her and her name sounds like something stupid and she not deserves the name M-W

Tags
british royal family, styles and titles, surnames