William, Harry, their Girlfriends and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to remember the entourage.:lol:

:doh: Of course! I was only thinking of William & Harry. It's no saving to them if they're mates are still guzzling the expensive alcoholic stuff. :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Frankly I wouldn't think they were actual 'mates' if they kept on drinking when they know that William and/or Harry can't. I am not suggesting that they totally abstain as well but they should cut right back to keep their 'friends' company. True friends do that I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
:doh: Of course! I was only thinking of William & Harry. It's no saving to them if they're mates are still guzzling the expensive alcoholic stuff. :cheers:
Most of the time, IMO, they will be with fellow trainees whilst on base and they are governed by the same rules. If they decided to have a tipple or three because it is Friday night and they are 'at home', they could come unstuck if they are then called in. So I think they will both stick to the rules to try to ensure they get the chance to pursue the careers they want!:flowers:

So are they essentially prohibited from drinking alcohol at all, whether they are on or off duty, even at weekends, in case they are called in? Is this just for tainees or are they doomed (or blessed, perhaps) to be alcohol-free as long as they are in these jobs?

Are these trainee pilots on-call 24/7 or rostered? :ermm:

They are normally working on rotation. William will I think, be on training exercises, before he is assigned to a base and crew. Many trainee pilots have been caught 'over the limit', a result of which means they cannot fly that day, so if it's lesson 33, how to land, they may have to wait that bit longer.

The Independent is hardly a rag. It was until its recent change of Editor-in-chief arguably the best newspaper in the UK and I would not describe it as actively Republican but rather indifferent to the Monarchy that it hardly covers.
Had you held this view of Chelsy for a while?
Well I have always quite liked her but the specific attributes I have listed in my previous message became apparent to me after she chose to further her education and have been confirmed by the recent events both in her personal and professional life.

Overall, it's quite a good article, I think -- and I can't help but notice that Miguel Head, who works in William and Harry's press office, is quoted on record in it, lending the whole thing a bit more credibility.

Here's the link: Kate Middleton: could the wait be over at last?
This article says absolutely nothing at all that hasn't been said 20 times over or that could not have been guessed by anyone on this forum.

Also Ella, since you don't live in the UK you might not know the recent turmoils that have happened within the Telegraph newspaper (wait a bit, Moderators, this isn't completely OT as you will see).
The majority of the veteran journalists who once made that newspaper reputation have been made redundant to save on funds and replaced by young, cheaper hacks (the author of the article you linked admits to be in her twenties, it's telling) who are rewarded according to how much hits their articles get.
Translation: The Telegraph is now a glorified tabloid. I think you should know that because since this paper was once prestigious, people might give more credibility to its articles than it deserves.

I expect more filler articles on the Royals as the recession is expected by expert to hit the UK worst than other European countries. I suppose their will be need to entertain the gloomy masses.

The Independent is hardly a rag.
There once again, we will have to differ. As far as I can see it has left wing, liberal views and if not republican, it is anti monarchy. Private Eye is more my cup of tea. :D

Also Ella, since you don't live in the UK you might not know the recent turmoils that have happened within the Telegraph newspaper (wait a bit, Moderators, this isn't completely OT as you will see).
The majority of the veteran journalists who once made that newspaper reputation have been made redundant to save on funds and replaced by young, cheaper hacks (the author of the article you linked admits to be in her twenties, it's telling) who are rewarded according to how much hits their articles get.
Translation: The Telegraph is now a glorified tabloid. I think you should know that because since this paper was once prestigious, people might give more credibility to its articles than it deserves.

That is indeed interesting, Idriel -- the vagaries of the British press are really fascinating sometimes. Honestly the issues you're talking about seem to be the sad new norm for lots and lots of publications around the globe -- I know papers in America that are having similar problems with staying relevant and financially stable while still retaining integrity and credibility.

As far as the article goes, you're right about a lot of it being rehash of what we already know. I'm just interested that Miguel Head is talking to the paper -- seems when press people from the palace are quoted by name, the piece may have a bit more weight, at least in my mind.

And, hey, regardless of the publications and their respective states at the moment, let's give the writer a bit of slack for being in her twenties -- some of us are and hopefully still have the air of reliability around! :lol: ;)

I expect more filler articles on the Royals as the recession is expected by expert to hit the UK worst than other European countries. I suppose their will be need to entertain the gloomy masses.

The Independent and now The Telegraph have both been slammed on here...is there any legit new source you guys will believe in England? Or have they all gone tabloid...:eek: Tell me there has to be one good one! :lol:

I don't know much about the Independent, but I do know that Charlotte Casiraghi interned for them. She even wrote an article. Just an interesting fact :flowers:

The Telegraph is one of the largest selling "broadsheet" mainstream newspapers in the UK, and IMO, is no more of a tabloid than either the Independent or The Times. The unfortunate truth is that this is a sign of the times, as the media gets increasingly "dumbed down" and readers like more celebrity gossip along with their daily dose of the news. That said, "The Telegraph is now a glorified tabloid" is probably not a statement that I believe has much credibility.

. . . . . The unfortunate truth is that this is a sign of the times, as the media gets increasingly "dumbed down" and readers like more celebrity gossip along with their daily dose of the news . . . . .
What an inditement for the owners of those once illustrious rags. . . . dumbed down! :D

OK, what does that leave us with? Satellite news fed to us in sound bites? :eek:

What an inditement for the owners of those once illustrious rags. . . . dumbed down! :D

OK, what does that leave us with? Satellite news fed to us in sound bites? :eek:

There has also been changes in the ownership of the media over the last 20 years, and no doubt, with a change of ownership comes a change in editorial standards.

For example, the Telegraph is now owned by the Barclay brothers (who also own the Scotsman, the Ritz and Littlewoods), and as I am sure a lot of you know, Rupert Murdoch /News International have owned the Times for a while. Even our local London Evening Standard has recently been acquired by a Russian billionaire

The Telegraph is one of the largest selling "broadsheet" mainstream newspapers in the UK, and IMO, is no more of a tabloid than either the Independent or The Times.
The Telegraph is not on the same footing as the Times, and hasn't been for some time. Its methods and the quality of its journalist are now tabloidy, imo. Not just my opinion actually but that of many prestigious journalists and editors who have been fired or who have resigned in disgust and many readres who have noted the free fall in standards. For further details and reference, I would refer you to the Private Eye coverage.
Imo, it isn't as serious a source it once was.

The Independent and now The Telegraph have both been slammed on here...is there any legit new source you guys will believe in England? Or have they all gone tabloid...:eek: Tell me there has to be one good one! :lol:
The British on here can only give their opinions on the UK papers, it is up to the individual to decide which stories have some validity, IMO. I dislike the Independent for the reasons I have given ie. that they are anti monarchy and over dramatise many of their environmental stories, according to some of the articles I have read today, it is mainly read by Labour voters, whilst still attracting the Liberals.

The Mail, does have some good writers but IMO, Kay and Nicholl are not among them. Amanda Platell comes across as a republican but seems to have a blockage when it is anything to do with Charles and Camilla. Many of the Telegraph writers are monarchists through and through and, to me, on the whole they do mostly give a balanced view. The Times & Telegraph are still pretty good, with the Observer/Guardian a little behind.

As I said, it is up to the individual, I post any article that comes up, good, bad, indifferent be it from The Independent, The Mail or even The Sun. :flowers:

How does any of this make it a rag? Do you think the Guardian is a rag too?
Every individual determines for themselves the 'sort' of paper they feel offers the best view. I call it a rag because to me, that is what it is. The Guardian/Observer used to be fairly balanced but that has disappeared over the years IMO, they do however put a little more effort into checking the facts. As with any paper, it depends on the journalist writing the article, some we like, some we don't.:flowers:

The Telegraph is not on the same footing as the Times, and hasn't been for some time. Its methods and the quality of its journalist are now tabloidy, imo. Not just my opinion actually but that of many prestigious journalists and editors who have been fired or who have resigned in disgust and many readres who have noted the free fall in standards. For further details and reference, I would refer you to the Private Eye coverage.
Imo, it isn't as serious a source it once was.

This is one of personal choice. We have had a copy each of the The Times, The Telegraph and the Financial Times delivered to us everyday for over 15 years. Over this time, the newspapers have evolved quite considerably, and I find that increasingly, the quality of the journalism, and the focus (earlier comments on "dumbing down") have both headed south. I personally think the Times is a lot more trashy, but thats my view.

If you read them both regularly, then I am sure you are entitled to your own view on this.

Personally I find The Telegraph incredibly poor these days and on a par with papers like the Mail and the Express. I'll stick to The Times, Independent and International Herald Tribune.

:previous:
Sure to be nothing we haven't seen or read before.
However, Carla's on the cover too. That's news! :D

:previous:
Sure to be nothing we haven't seen or read before.
However, Carla's on the cover too. That's news! :D

Point de Vue is nothing like it used to be :nonono: but with Carla on the the cover my husband will be happy.:whistling: I must say that lately the best part of it is the crossword.....

At least Lord Black of Crossharbour (or Tubby, as he is known in Canada) is gone. Now if only Rupert Murdoch would sell up and leave....

Actually, the National Post is my favourite newspaper; but for some reason we can't get it here.

At least Lord Black of Crossharbour (or Tubby, as he is known in Canada) is gone. Now if only Rupert Murdoch would sell up and leave....

William and Harry were heavily criticised in the channel 4 programme, not only for their laziness but the whole motorcycle & flying debacles.

William especially came in for negative comments, the early (unheard of) award of his wings, (normally takes 77 weeks, William 13)! :nonono:

The excuse that he needs the training because he is one day going to be head of the services, was flattened with this question - He is also expected to be head of the Church of England, so why isn't he spending 5 years studying the priesthood?

This may be his next excuse to get out of being a working Prince.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom