William, Harry, their Girlfriends and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't quite understand what was the point of snipping out the whole exchange about Chelsy if that thread existed all along, but there we are.

I have argued that Chelsy's stint at the Law firm had shown that it is possible to combine a high profile Royal relationship, media attention and a career (something some here think is not possible, particularly for Kate). In response to that, there has been some suggestion that Chelsy gets hardly attention from either the press nor the paparazzi, which is the reason why she is able to go on with her life in a productive way. I think this is a misconception and here is why:

While there is less interest in Chelsy than there is in Kate, that doesn't mean there is no interest.
A quick 'Chelsy' search on the Mail gives 379 results (I would not call this 'hardly any articles') and they are all accompanied by pictures of her in various situations, from the mundane (shopping in London, going to work) to the glamorous (partying, attending social events). Again, I would not call this 'hardly any pictures'. So, obviously, Chelsy has a market value for Paps, as her pictures get regularly picked by publications such as the Mail, Hello and News of the World.
You also have to remember that British paparazzi are London-centric, and Chelsy is hardly ever in London, hence the relative lack of pictures (compared to Kate).
Would you say the lack of recent Kate pictures reflect a disinterest in her? Of course not, it just reflects that she isn't around London anymore.
When they are in London both Chelsy and Kate are followed around and when they are away, they are left alone (you get the odd picture of Kate in Berkshire or Chelsy in S.A., but that's hardly harassment).

For those who didn't believe my claim that Chelsy was pictured everyday during her internship, here are some evidences: 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 17th, 19th.
None of these pictures made it to the press (or that forum for that matter), but then there was a time when we also got daily pictures of Kate, and they didn't all get printed.
All that isn't surprising. Around 60% (conservative number) of all the paps pictures aren't picked by the press. Just do a random celebrity search at any photo agency. It doesn't matter to the paps because it cost them nothing to take a picture and they don't wanna miss a potential money shot.

The important point is that from Kate's or from Chelsy's point of view, the intrusion is real, whether the pictures makes it to the papers or not. That also would not make any difference to an employer whether the pictures were published or not.

Despite that baggage, Chelsy is considered employable by a London based law firm, which is proof that a royal relationship isn't a good excuse enough for holding up a career.

Merry Christmas to all.
:flowers:

Despite that baggage, Chelsy is considered employable by a London based law firm, which is proof that a royal relationship isn't a good excuse enough for holding up a career
But she wasn't employed by them. She was taken on, with others I presume, for a week long internship. She wasn't taken on for a permanent position in the firm. Spending 5 days there is hardly proof that her relationship with Harry won't affect her career in the future. I hope that it doesn't after all the work she will have put in to getting her qualifications, but I think she will find it difficult.

Just because there are pictures of Chelsy, does not mean there were/are hoards of photographers following her each day, unlike Kate. One camera can take quite a few shots within a 5 minute time frame.

I am sure just as they can follow Kate when she is out of London, they are able to get into their cars, on the train or even on a coach and get to Leeds, they could even get accommodation, if they don't already live there.:D

But she wasn't employed by them. She was taken on, with others I presume, for a week long internship. She wasn't taken on for a permanent position in the firm. Spending 5 days there is hardly proof that her relationship with Harry won't affect her career in the future. I hope that it doesn't after all the work she will have put in to getting her qualifications, but I think she will find it difficult.
Also from what I've read, she is the only student selected from Leeds by that firm, which counts the Queen as a client, no???:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Allen & Overy only has London offices, unlike other large UK law firms like DLA or Eversheds, which have offices around the country, often including Leeds.

While I'm inclined to think that Chelsy's internships were due to who she knew, it's not so strange that there was no other people from her course in London. These sorts of temporary placements/interships are incredibly competitive. Moreover, as Chelsy's were based in London, the average student may well struggle to cover the cost of a London-based internship.

I've read that the firm Chelsy interned at does not select from Leeds. Period. But she made it. Either she's top in her class, or some other criteria put her over the top.

But she wasn't employed by them. She was taken on, with others I presume, for a week long internship. She wasn't taken on for a permanent position in the firm. Spending 5 days there is hardly proof that her relationship with Harry won't affect her career in the future.
All this is very true but you missed my point.
That kind of firm doesn't hand out internship like candies. They would have given it to Chelsy if they considered her a serious recruit prospect. Some in this forum have been saying that it is impossible for a royal gf to have a serious career. Clearly the possibilities are there, despite all the difficulties that come with the territory.
Chelsy might mess her chances up of course, but imo she is proving that there are opportunities.

Also from what I've read, she is the only student selected from Leeds by that firm, which counts the Queen as a client, no???
I am not quite sure what your point is considering there was only two places handed out. I would gather whoever got the other place was the only one from her uni too.

Kate isn't followed by hoards of journalist everyday, that's a gross overstatement.
There has been few isolated incidents like her birthday or the spike of interest right after the break up, but otherwise the only time she is surrounded by photographers is when she goes to those trashy 'celebrity' nightclubs.
When she is in London, she get photographed by one or a couple of paps who seem to leave her alone after they had their shots, same as Chelsy. We don't get hour by the hour break down of her daily activities. A quick browsing to the 'old Kate picture' threads will show you that much.This post pretty much sums up what I am trying to say.
If you want to see what having hoards of paps stalking you all day looks like, look up pictures of Kate Moss. Now that woman is hounded.

She also isn't followed when she is outside London, unless she attends a horsey events where the press is there anyway: she got pictured maybe five times in Berkshire. Obviously photographers have not moved there just yet. Again, same as Chelsy, who has been pictured a dozen or so times in Leeds, but isn't followed around campus on a daily basis.

Chelsy might mess her chances up of course, but imo she is proving that there are opportunities.
Especially if you have contacts, oh, wouldn't that would make her the same as Kate!
Kate isn't followed by hoards of journalist everyday, that's a gross overstatement. --- snipped
When she is in London, she get photographed by one or a couple of paps who seem to leave her alone after they had their shots, same as Chelsy.
But as there is very little interest, Chelsy doesn't get her picture in the UK news as often, therefore she could work anywhere without it being detrimental or a nuisance to her employer!

I've read that the firm Chelsy interned at does not select from Leeds. Period. But she made it. Either she's top in her class, or some other criteria put her over the top.
I'm fairly sure that isn't the case. Aside from the fact that would be blatant discrimination I know a guy from university who is working at Allen and Overy and I am 99% certain he did a summer palcement there, hence he got his foot in the door. He studied Law outside of London.

:previous:
I also know someone who did an internship there (winter I think) who was studying outside of London at the time like your friend but she openly admits that, despite her excellent qualifications, she really only got the chance due to connections with the firm. It may be wrong but I think a lot of things, especially something like this, can depend on who you know. :nonono:

There has been few isolated incidents like her birthday or the spike of interest right after the break up, but otherwise the only time she is surrounded by photographers is when she goes to those trashy 'celebrity' nightclubs.
If you go back to the old Kate threads for the months before their break-up in 2007 there is a lot of discussion about the amount of photographs available daily of Kate leaving her home to go to work. If I remember correctly someone even joked that there should be a separate thread for photographs of Kate leaving to go to work. While there may not have been a huge amount of photographers around her, I can't imagine that it was very pleasant to go out every morning knowing that there was someone waiting for you with a camera. However, that said, I can't imagine that this would make it impossible for her to continue working either, but perhaps she felt she no longer wanted to go through it. So she moved home to Berkshire where, as you pointed out, she is rarely photographed and can go to work at her parents company without the camera in the morning. I really don't understand why it is such a big deal. :neutral:

Some in this forum have been saying that it is impossible for a royal gf to have a serious career.
In regards to the BRF there is only really Sophie to go by on this and things really didn't work out well for her, so I guess that I can see where some might say given past history it might be impossible but perhaps Chelsy will have one. I hope that if that is what she really wants to do that she is able to do it.

The only reason why she is not followed around by paps on campus is because Leed's University put a stop to it and banned the paps via court not to go onto campus. The reason was because it was hampering other students and not just Chelsy...!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a feeling that if Chelsy obtains a position with a firm of solicitors and applies herself to it and behaves like any other employee, and dresses conservatively like her colleagues and does not pose for the photographers or smile or otherwise engage them, she will be allowed to get about her business. I'm sure there is a limited market for boring lawyer photos, no matter who her friends are.

As for getting a summer clerkship or similar position, of course connections help. They certainly do in Australia, and there's nothing unusual or sinister about it. If your father or uncle, or aunt, is partner in a big law firm, of course they are going to try to help you and get you in the door to allow you to get the attention of the partners and show you have the right stuff to be an asset to the firm. Students with family in the profession, or friends in high places, have a big advantage, naturally. And it's the same whatever profession or trade a young person is pursuing. Connections help, and you'd be a fool not to use them.

With so many thread on William and Kate's relationship, I'm getting really confused to where to post now. (Moderator, feel free to move this if it belongs elsewhere.)

I am not familiar with Buckleberry, does anyone know if the photos of William's car parked in the Middletons' dirveway require the photograph to be on private ground? I also noticed the last photo on Daily Mail's article shown William's convoy, assuming to be driving away from the house, along a long driveway without view of the house itself. Kate's birthday present is a Prince - as William is pictured for the first time staying overnight at the 'in-laws' | Mail Online

The photographer does seem quite close to the house. I don't know if a long-range lens could take such a sharp, clear picture -- but I really know next to nothing about photography, so perhaps it's possible?

Only the couples themselves can decide what's romantic in their relationship. There is no way the voters can know their private gestures. It would be more appropriate to call the poll for "favorite couple". Just hope the winning couple don't break up when the issue come out.

Good lord, what business is it of anyone's what sort of beds the brothers have? Royal news really hard to come by right now, I guess. :)

Skydragon, what sort of opportunities will there be for William & Harry to spend nights away from their bases? Can they live somewhere off the base or do they have to live in the barracks? Can they go out at night if they are not specifically rostered on duty? Will they have a curfew?

Last edited:
:previous:
:flowers:They will still get days off and some, if not all weekends. They could live off base but I think as they have been allocated a room, they have decided to stay on base. Accommodation in the officers singles block has improved greatly over the years, or so I am told. :D They will be allowed off base but alcohol is banned and they will be expected to return to base by a set time, (in reality they are unlikely to be reported). IMO:flowers:

:previous: No overnight "guests"? :nonono:

Do they still have to sign in and out of Barracks? :ermm:

Is the time honoured ritual of "bedchecks" (to ensure they are in their beds, and that they are the only ones in said beds) still in vogue? :rolleyes:

The mind boggles. :whistling: :ROFLMAO:

Overnight guests are frowned upon, but I couldn't say 'hand on heart' that nobody forgets to send their guest home! :D
Afaik, they do not have to sign in or out, but if they come in late, the guards at the gate house will note it and if they have had a rotten night report it, (freezing cold, wet, ripped a hole in their tights)! :D No bedchecks for officers!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
May be! but might not be enough to cover their bar bills.:nonono:

But if they aren't allowed alcohol at all (as I have been reading it is banned for the duration of training at least for Harry) they surely soft drinks won't be as expensive so they will save money and, who knows, might actually come to realise that you can have a good time without getting drunk all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom