William and Harry's TV Interviews about Diana: June 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well, Hitler and Saddam were quite convincing public speakers and their admirers must have thought them ultra-intelligent and quick witted.
Obviously you are not a fan of Prince William and Prince Harry and that is OK. I have seen excerpts of their BBC interview and they come across to me as down-to-earth, honest and loyal. They may not be great orators but this is an interview for goodness sake. It is suppossed to be a conversation into which millions are 'eavesdropping'. Not the two of them thumping us with their ideas.

Goodness! :ohmy:

I didn't say I didn't like William or Harry, merely that in view of their bloodlines it should not be surprising if they are dim. It was a shot at their parents, not them, and I only said they "may" be dim, not that I think one or both is.

And "down-to-earth, honest and loyal" and "dim" are not mutually exclusive.

The interview is being shown in Perth tonight at 10pm so I will be able to give my thoughts tomorrow. :ermm:

I really liked the interview. These boys have been in the public eye since before they were born, but they are graceful and humble. Diana and Charles both did a good job on raising them. Diana gave them the ability to reach out to the people, and a love of philanthropy. Charles gave them a love of the outdoors.

No matter what, Charles and Diana did a good job as parents. I am sure Diana would be pleased with how they carried themselves.

I thought it was a good interview although I did find it hard to understand themdut to the combination of accent and rapid speech. Harry was the star - and William let him. They seem so close and loving to each other. And you could tell how much they love and miss their mother. It was definitely worth watching to me. It was good to hear them talk about their mother.

I've just watched it, and I enjoyed it.

As Almab said, Harry was the star, and William let him. I think William might like it that way. He seems more reserved than Harry and they work well together. It was interesting to hear what they said about their mother.

Neither of them is dim. IMO they are of at least average intelligence, and likeable young men.

I saw nothing wrong with the way they spoke. It was an informal interview, and the "you know"s were appropriate in context, I thought.

Incidentally I thought Harry sounded a great deal like his father, Charles.

Yes Both Charles Diana were well spoken what happen to their kids.
It really was unexpected to here ums and you knows from Princess Diana's boys whos has had the best education money can buy.
I had a history professor who used to say that a first rate man rarely ever produces a first rate son.

Well, I thought the princes handled themselves fine. They might not be top grade interview subjects yet, but I don't think Prince Charles at the same age was any pro at it either. I think Prince Charles came into his own as a speaker in interviews and before audiences in the late 80s/early 90s, and Diana was never very good at public speaking (in my honest opinion) so I think it will take them many years of experience to be polished and perfect at it. But it was a good start, definitely.
I have some screen caps from the interview, which came out surprisingly well! I just have to tidy them up a bit and upload them on a hosting site, and I'll post here soon.

I thought the interview was good. It was fun to watch and to see how well the brothers get along! But I agree with others - there were times (many) that I had no idea what they were saying...they talk at record speed...:lol:

I have only read some of the transcripts and the amount of space fillers are noticeable. I am confused by Williams apparent assertion that there is no reason he will not be sent to fight for his country.

Was that actually what he said? (I know they sometimes give you transcripts that are then edited).

here the video talk about relationships...
who miss it.. here is only 6 min...

MSN video

I think it was a very nice interview. So what William didn't talk about what his ruling style was going to be, NBC was the ones that came up with the questions and if its anyones fault for not going more in dept its them. They didn't know exactly what the questions were going to be before hand and i think they handled them fairly well considering that some of them seemed repeated or just plain stuipd like whats the best thing about being a prince. I also think people should think that the interview wasn't done for a UK audience , but primarly a US one and most Americans arent on a royal forum / blog so they are arent interested so much in poltics. So they said UM alot that doesn't mean they are stuipd. I enjoyed it

I've watched the various excerpts posted here and elsewhere on the net (thank you to all. :flowers: ) and I had trouble understanding the presenter and can't for the life of me see why you couldn't understand the boys! :ROFLMAO: (JOKE)

I thought Matt Lauer did a good job of interviewing them. Much better than Fearne Cotton, I'm sure.

Prince William and Prince Harry's first US Interview
Chatting with NBC's Matt Lauer in Clarence House, they discussed their hopes for the Concert for Diana and engaged in chat about other *fascinating* :ROFLMAO: matters in a relaxed manner. The interviewed aired twice on 18 June 2007, firstly on The Today Show in the morning, secondly on Dateline at 10pm EST. Enjoy some screen caps.

I finally had a chance to sit down and watch the whole interview. I was very impressed by both young men. Their facial expressions at times reminded me so much of Diana.

There was one part of the interview that really "got" me, and that's when Matt asked if they too ever wonder what really happened in that Paris tunnel, and the look on Harry's face when he said that he'd never stop wondering about it just killed me. It was also in the way he said it.

Last edited:
For two well educated young men, they used "you know" an awful lot. I thought they could have been more articulate than that. Most of the questions are predictable, even if the producer's assertion that the questions were not preapproved by Clarence House.

For two well educated young men, they used "you know" an awful lot. I thought they could have been more articulate than that. Most of the questions are predictable, even if the producer's assertion that the questions were not preapproved by Clarence House.

A lot of kids these days use key phrases over and over. In an interview situation it is a way to give yourself more time to think out an answer before speaking. It buys time. Secondly, if there had been any heavy hitting in the question department, then when a really big story comes along, like an engagement, who do you think will get the interview? Matt played it straight and if by chance the Princes sit down again in a few years, Matt will be at the top of their nice list. I thought both boys did extremely well. I had heard that William was the more quiet one, but Harry surprised me with the quickness at which he jumped in to answer the questions. They came across as genuine and nice kids. JMO

It's very nice to see how well they seem to get along with each other. That's going to be helpful to them over the years.

What does level of education have to do with that? I have a BBA and I use "you know" and "like" quite a bit, not because I'm dim or stupid, but because it's better than being dead silent when you're trying to think of an answer to a question.

What does level of education have to do with that? I have a BBA and I use "you know" and "like" quite a bit, not because I'm dim or stupid, but because it's better than being dead silent when you're trying to think of an answer to a question.

Great minds think alike.

Education doesn't equal intelligence. But combine education and additional trainings for a future king William supposed to have been given, as well as the fact that they are well traveled, with an above average social experience, I would think they should have been able to formulate sentences with a few less "you knows". As I stated in my original message, these are not surprise questions. I wasn't saying they should sound rehearsed, just better spoken.

Education doesn't equal intelligence. But combine education and additional trainings for a future king William supposed to have been given, as well as the fact that they are well traveled, with an above average social experience, I would think they should have been able to formulate sentences with a few less "you knows". As I stated in my original message, these are not surprise questions. I wasn't saying they should sound rehearsed, just better spoken.

This was meant to be an informal interview. I would expect some level of colloquialisms in an informal interview. I think part of the purpose of this interview was to show that underneath the fact they are princes, they are also just two twenty-something guys, and twenty-something guys sound like that sometimes, no matter their level of education or amount of traveling they've done.

I was absolutely not expecting them to come out speaking the King's English. I rather liked the fact they came across the way they did because it made them look....dare I say....normal.

I'll begin by saying that I am indifferent when it comes to William and Harry. However, I really think that some comments about their speaking abilities are truly unfair. Some people are natural public speakers; others are not. I,for one, detest public speaking and have to do it as part of my job. When I first started I stuttered and through time and experience I have improved, even though there are still times that I still feel like a blubbering idiot. I actually enjoyed the interview and they came across the "normal" young men.

I bought the interview from iTunes because every time I went to the MSNBC website to view clips from the interview, it kept telling me that due to geographic locations, the video won't play on computers running my operating system. Weird.

I'm so mad! I completely forgot about the interview. Thanks to those who have posted videos. I think I'll go buy it from iTunes now and post back about it later.

Last edited:
I thought Matt Lauer did a good job of interviewing them. Much better than Fearne Cotton, I'm sure.

All I can say is "Thank God Katie Couric is gone!". If she were still on the 'Today' show I'm sure she would've insisted on doing the interview and then foawned over them like a silly schoolgirl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom