The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Courtier

The queen has no political power which is sad she is mainly a ceremonial figure being on the throne for 54 years and cann not do anything. she does not have to be a abolute monarch but have a little power. I could not be in her postion I would try to get a little power but the main power who be still be in the hands Of The Prime Minister.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:32 PM

Next Star - you're right. The Queen doesn't have any political power. She is not political. She is free from politics. She has constitutional power which is greater and I promise you, it's very very real. She may devolve it but the powers remain hers. The "main power" isn't in the hands of the Prime Minister. It's in our hands and we allow the Queen to exercise it for us because unlike our various Prime Ministers, she isn't corrupt, a liar, a cheat or a complete waste of space.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Courtier

Please listening closely there are monarchs who have political power and their not poiliticans . Who says you have to be a politican to be involued in plotics and goverment? You do not have to. The Prime Minister does have power he can dissolve the parilment and call for new elections but you can not.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:50 PM

No, you don't understand me. The Queen has power. But it isn't political. She is not a political institution. She doesn't have political beliefs or a political agenda or manifesto. She has constitutional power which is then devolved to her ministers which we elect based on their politics, not the Queen's politics. The Queen isn't a politican - thats the whole point of having her. The Prime Minister certainly can't dissolve Parliament. Only the Queen can do that. And only the Queen can open Parliament which she'll be doing on November 15th.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Courtier

Show me proof I do not believe you about the prime minister not being able to dissolve the parilament he is head of the goverment while the queen is head of state. I always thought he had more power than the monarch being that he is head of goverment.Oh and I did not say that the queen did not have constitutional power I know she does (example the queen is the only one who can actually pass a law or laws in Briatain.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:10 PM

Proof ; from http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page4691.asp

Quote:
In addition to opening Parliament, only The Queen can summon Parliament, and prorogue (discontinue without dissolving it) or dissolve it. When a Prime Minister wishes to dissolve Parliament and call a general election, he or she is obliged to seek the permission of the Sovereign to do so. For this purpose, the Prime Minister usually travels to Buckingham Palace before announcing a general election.
The Prime Minister asks the Queen to dissolve Parliament. He does not dissolve it himself and the Queen can refuse to dissolve it if she wishes. The Prime Minister does not have more power than the Monarch and indeed, there are higher-ranking political officials than the Prime Minister.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Is it not the Monarch (Queen) who decides (as in approves on the advice of her Prime Minister and government) whether or not Britain goes to war?

I'm sure I have read that this is the case, but I can't recall where and that is very frustrating

Can anyone verify?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:30 PM

That's right. The Armed Forces all "belong" to the Queen and only she can deploy them on a mission. They serve in her name and they answer only to the Queen. So, the Minister of Defence will get the information and advice from the civil service and the MoD, Generals etc - and then he asks the Prime Minister to take that to the Queen and request military action. The Queen then decides whether to deploy the troops or not.

In a war like situation, the war is declared in the Queen's name and only she may declare states of war, peace and emergency. The Prime Minister has to ask the Queen to declare war and peace but he has no say in the declaration of a state of emergency.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Courtier

The monarchy will be extinguished in less than 20 years. As much as we love to read and look at pictures, it has become obsolete...IMO only, of course.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:33 PM

Why do you think that Roxsteve? And why so soon?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Courtier

The prime minister still has power but not much as the queen. But BeatixFan who are those politican that are higher than the priime minister?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:34 PM

The Speaker, The Lord Chancellor. The Speaker for example, is an MP who can silence the Prime Minister in the House of Commons. He can eject the PM if he wants to.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Roxsteve, For the Sake of Britian I Hope your wrong, We here in the U.S. Just wrapped up Mid Term - Elections And I Must say the ads were so Low and nasty I Much Perfer a Monarchy.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Aristocracy

Talking British monarchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star
The prime minister still has power but not much as the queen. But BeatixFan who are those politican that are higher than the priime minister?
Next Star,here in New Zealand,the Governor-General actually has very little power.He is expected to sign every Bill that is presented to him.To me,the idea of Parliament having unbridled power is really dangerous,as the people are not even consulted.I favour a system in which the Crown & people are joint rulers,but Parliament would be forced to obey the will of the people.

The President of India actually has more power than the Governor-General of New Zealand does.He can veto a Bill,& can demand that a candidate prove that he is able to form a Government.In at least one of the British Commonwealth Dominions in the Caribbean,the Governor-General appoints both the Prime Minister & the Leader of the Opposition.

Here's an article about the President of India & his role; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_India .

As to the administration of the Royal Honours System,I believe very strongly that it should be the Queen alone who should be entitled to decide who gets what honour,& who gets a peerage,not Parliament or the Prime Minister! The Queen should also be free to award titles to all of her subjects,including those in Canada,Australia,& New Zealand.Here's a couple of articles that will interest you; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_titles_debate & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrad_Black .

Aidan.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
That's right. The Armed Forces all "belong" to the Queen and only she can deploy them on a mission. They serve in her name and they answer only to the Queen. So, the Minister of Defence will get the information and advice from the civil service and the MoD, Generals etc - and then he asks the Prime Minister to take that to the Queen and request military action. The Queen then decides whether to deploy the troops or not.

In a war like situation, the war is declared in the Queen's name and only she may declare states of war, peace and emergency. The Prime Minister has to ask the Queen to declare war and peace but he has no say in the declaration of a state of emergency.
Thank you Beatrix Fan I was certain that this was the case.

You however, have explained it much more eloquent than I.lol.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I was certain that this was the case.
I'm afraid that BeatrixFan was slightly 'off key'. Parliament normally decides if we go to war, but, Blair threatened to use the royal prerogative.

http://www.publications.parliament.u...36/6032906.htm

This partway explains the Royal Prerogative

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/notes/snpc-03861.pdf#search='royal%20prerogative'

as does good old wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Prerogative

The Queen is head of all the armed services and not so long ago, when you joined you were said to be 'taking the Queens shilling', you still swear allegiance to the Queen if you join the army or airforce.

I swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The second, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors. So help me God.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I'm afraid that BeatrixFan was slightly 'off key'. Parliament normally decides if we go to war, but, Blair threatened to use the royal prerogative.

http://www.publications.parliament.u...36/6032906.htm

This partway explains the Royal Prerogative

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/notes/snpc-03861.pdf#search='royal%20prerogative'

as does good old wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Prerogative

The Queen is head of all the armed services and not so long ago, when you joined you were said to be 'taking the Queens shilling', you still swear allegiance to the Queen if you join the army or airforce.

I swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The second, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors. So help me God.
Thank you for the clarification I appreciate it.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Thank you for the clarification I appreciate it.
As has been pointed out by one of my offspring, this is the modern day Oath for the army,

"I SWEAR BY ALMIGHTY GOD THAT I WILL BE FAITHFUL AND BEAR TRUE ALLEGIANCE TO HER MAJESTY QUEEN ELIZABETH II, HER HEIRS AND SUCCESSORS AND THAT I WILL AS IN DUTY BOUND HONESTLY AND FAITHFULLY DEFEND HER MAJESTY, HER HEIRS AND SUCCESSORS IN PERSON, CROWN AND DIGNITY AGAINST ALL ENEMIES AND WILL OBSERVE AND OBEY ALL ORDERS OF HER MAJESTY, HER HEIRS AND SUCCESSORS AND OF THE GENERALS AND OFFICERS SET OVER ME"
Old 11-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
As has been pointed out by one of my offspring, this is the modern day Oath for the army,

"I SWEAR BY ALMIGHTY GOD THAT I WILL BE FAITHFUL AND BEAR TRUE ALLEGIANCE TO HER MAJESTY QUEEN ELIZABETH II, HER HEIRS AND SUCCESSORS AND THAT I WILL AS IN DUTY BOUND HONESTLY AND FAITHFULLY DEFEND HER MAJESTY, HER HEIRS AND SUCCESSORS IN PERSON, CROWN AND DIGNITY AGAINST ALL ENEMIES AND WILL OBSERVE AND OBEY ALL ORDERS OF HER MAJESTY, HER HEIRS AND SUCCESSORS AND OF THE GENERALS AND OFFICERS SET OVER ME"
But if for example prince William "asks" something of a fellow cadet - isn't he as an "heir" (a direct line heir as that) of the queen higher in rank per se as the commanding officer? I mean, is it by free decision of prince William that he accepts the authority of his commanding officer?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Not this old chestnut again, Iain. Can we see a link to these opinion polls?

Lets guess the poll was done by the SNP, how many did they ask this time, 1000, 1200.
Actually it was carried out by the Scotsman Newspaper which has always been a supporter of the union. I don't know how many people were asked but if you go on to the Scotsman web site you might find out.

Tags
british monarchy, future of the monarchy