The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
Her Majesty has already said that she doesn't anticipate returning to Australia again - not that I blame her. Our dear Queen is now an elderly woman and the trip, even in a customised plane, would obviously be a hardhsip for her. Fair 'nuff, too. And I don't think that she has visited us 'innumerable times'. Her Majesty has visited when there's been an important occasion, either here or in New Zealand, but she didn't visit when she was most wanted - at the celebrations for Australia's 200th birthday. 1988. The Prince of Wales and his wife, Diana, joined us on that occasion.
There has been no clear statement from Her Majesty that her recent trip to Australia will be her last. We must also remember that the Queen doesn't visit her Commonwealth Realms on a whim or because she feels like stopping by, she goes when she's invited by the Government to do so. If the Government doesn't invite her to a certain event, she doesn't go.

I don't believe that the Queen sees her roles as Queen of Australia or Canada or New Zealand as less important than her role as Queen of the United Kingdom, many Governors-General and Prime Ministers have always stated how well informed she is about all her Realms. She takes all her roles very seriously.

That being said, I think the Queen understands that Australia will become a republic sooner rather than later, and I think she sees it as a natural progression of Australia's evolution as a society. But I do believe she holds Australia and Australians in high regard and until she is told otherwise, she is very much Queen of Australia just as much as she is Queen of the United Kingdom.

I know Her Majesty takes her role as Queen of Canada very seriously, she has been here 23 times in her Reign and seen literally every corner of this country. I doubt very much Canada will become a republic during her reign. I don't think Canadians are monarchists, but we're traditionalists in that we rarely modify our institutions. Many of our political traditions are British in origin, but the funny thing is Britian has phased out a lot of the traditions that Canada still use. One of the biggest arguments to keep the Monarchy is the fact that it is really one of the last remaing institutions that keeps us different than the United States.

I think down the road Canada will become a republic, but I honestly think like in Britian, there will be no serious debate until after the Queen's reign is over.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Her Majesty has already said that she doesn't anticipate returning to Australia again - not that I blame her. Our dear Queen is now an elderly woman and the trip, even in a customised plane, would obviously be a hardhsip for her. Fair 'nuff, too. And I don't think that she has visited us 'innumerable times'. Her Majesty has visited when there's been an important occasion, either here or in New Zealand, but she didn't visit when she was most wanted - at the celebrations for Australia's 200th birthday. 1988. The Prince of Wales and his wife, Diana, joined us on that occasion.
just what Australia wanted to hear. However, Her Majesty doesn't write her own speeches, though she would hardly say anything which was out of character as Queen of Australia, of course.
Polly
I will get the hard facts, but I think she's visited Australia some 18 times during her reign.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Majesty

She did come out in 1988 - to open the new Parliament House - on the anniversary of her grandfather opening the very first Parliament as Duke of Cornwall and York in 1901 and her father opening the first Parliament House as Duke of York, shortly after her birth. All three events happened on the 9th May in their respective years.

As she was wanted to open that building, representing our future in that year it was more than appropriate that the future of the monarchy represent her in January IMHO. She certainly wasn't going to come twice in the one year.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe 18 times is the official count regarding visits made by the Queen of Australia.

In 1981 the Queen made two visits, but regarding the same tour I think as a visit to New Zealand is what devided the agenda
Old 10-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
She did come out in 1988 - to open the new Parliament House - on the anniversary of her grandfather opening the very first Parliament as Duke of Cornwall and York in 1901 and her father opening the first Parliament House as Duke of York, shortly after her birth. All three events happened on the 9th May in their respective years.

As she was wanted to open that building, representing our future in that year it was more than appropriate that the future of the monarchy represent her in January IMHO. She certainly wasn't going to come twice in the one year.
I do know that she came during 1988, after all, I was there, in Canberra.

However, she was very much wanted in Sydney on January 26th.

I mean no criticism of Her Majesty at all. Heaven forfend! I must be her most ardent supporter in the land. I am just stating what I believe to be the case.

Polly
Old 10-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Courtier

I should add, perhaps, that even I, an acknowledged admirer, was most uncomfortable with Her Majesty's ignoring Australia's soccer team, which had struggled so very hard to reach the pinnacle. Many others, all royalists, were unhappy with that, too.

The most charitable explanation is that her advisors let her down, but I would have hoped that our Queen knew enough to know that Australia's appearance had been such an enormous effort, and that she, consequently, was proud of us.

Polly
Old 10-30-2006, 11:35 PM
Serene Highness

Maybe she's not a sports fan? I know I'm not. And people who aren't big on sports won't know much about it. Still, it should have been her responsibility as Australia's head of state to honor their team.

This whole Australia issue makes me so glad, that our Swedish royal family don't have realms outside Sweden anymore. We even lost Norway, and the Norveigans are our neighbors.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
Maybe she's not a sports fan?
It has nothing to do whether the Queen is a sports fan or not, and I do concede that HM had an obligation to wish her Australian team a successful campaign, and this, she did not do much to my (and no doubt many's) dissapointment.

Quote:
I mean no criticism of Her Majesty at all
Not at all, Polly
Old 10-31-2006, 01:41 AM
Majesty

She rarely acknowledges and sports team except those of the home countries e.g. the English Rugby team had a reception of BP after winning the World Cup but the Australian team didn't - same with the cricket teams - English teams get reception at BP not Australian -even the text message she sent at the end of both the Rugby World Cups and Ashes clearly indicate that she is an English supporter and not an Australian one.

As for the attitude in Sydney on 26th January, 1988 I was at the celebrations that day and the most common comment I got about the Royals was how glad they were that Diana was there and no one mentioned the Queen or even Charles - it was all Diana, Diana, Diana!!! where I was.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I should add, perhaps, that even I, an acknowledged admirer, was most uncomfortable with Her Majesty's ignoring Australia's soccer team, which had struggled so very hard to reach the pinnacle. Many others, all royalists, were unhappy with that, too.

The most charitable explanation is that her advisors let her down, but I would have hoped that our Queen knew enough to know that Australia's appearance had been such an enormous effort, and that she, consequently, was proud of us.

Polly
I confess I don't know a thing about this. It's probably not popular to say, but sport is sport. Professional sports people earn colossal amounts of money and are treated like demi-gods by masses of fans. Do they really need the support of royalty when there are so many other worthy causes? Sorry -- let the hate mail begin!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think the monarchy will still be around, but maybe in a more limited role. I don't know if the monarchy will ever cease to exist, but I don't know if it will ever revert to the way it used to be, several hundred years ago. There might be a considerable scaling back of the royal family, in terms of who gets titles and who's on the civil list.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 10-31-2006, 03:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
She rarely acknowledges and sports team except those of the home countries e.g. the English Rugby team had a reception of BP after winning the World Cup but the Australian team didn't - same with the cricket teams - English teams get reception at BP not Australian -even the text message she sent at the end of both the Rugby World Cups and Ashes clearly indicate that she is an English supporter and not an Australian one.

As for the attitude in Sydney on 26th January, 1988 I was at the celebrations that day and the most common comment I got about the Royals was how glad they were that Diana was there and no one mentioned the Queen or even Charles - it was all Diana, Diana, Diana!!! where I was.
I dont think anyone expects the Queen to support the Australian team(s) as she did/does the English but as Queen of Australia HM has an obligation and I feel that obligation was overlooked to be thruthful. It was not appropriate.

I maintain that the Queen has done the best she can (has known how), but even monarch's are prone to 'slip up's' and this was one as far as I'm concerned, even if it is not viewed as such by BP.

As for 1988, It comes as very little surprise that all and everyone was talking of Diana.

Youth, beauty and titles are an intoxicating mix afterall.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avareenah
I confess I don't know a thing about this. It's probably not popular to say, but sport is sport. Professional sports people earn colossal amounts of money and are treated like demi-gods by masses of fans. Do they really need the support of royalty when there are so many other worthy causes? Sorry -- let the hate mail begin!
We're not talking of financial contributions of a personal matter..hehe.. rather, a simple message that exhibits the Queen's support for this, her well documented sporting commonwealth nation
Old 11-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Courtier

Well, she overlooked her Australian team and truly, I was peeved. Of course, I didn't expect the level of support which she proferred England, but I do know that the football community noticed that a simple 'good luck' was absent. As events transpired, Australia did very well in an area of sport which, hitherto, we've not really shined. However, Her Majesty would know, full well, that Australia is a most competitive, and successful sporting nation; in fact, one of the world's most successful. Her advisers might have anticipated this and realised that a 'well done' would have pleased many people.

Still, in a long reign in which she's done nearly everything with such dignity and professionalism I can overlook this. I mentioned this apparent shortcoming only to illustrate Her Majesty's sense of historical dedication to her many realms which is more important to her (I think) that the actuality.

Even so, I'm sad that her days as Queen of Australia may well be ending. Hopefully, all will hold firm while she's still with us.

Polly
Old 11-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, I think the queen had bad advisors on that one. Maybe a queen doesn't have to know everything, that goes on in the sports world, but she should have people, who keep up with things like that for her.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Commoner

i think the queen is beginning to get tired and might be thinking to put charles in charge soon. i know they are now lighting her area of the windsor castle where they never did before saying it will be lit as long as she is alive. it is a private agreement made from the queen with the castle, so the tourists can finally see where they live while it is dark. i guess it was never lit at night before.

she has canceled a few engagements also with a bad back. i hope she gets better, but in case she doesn't, and becomes less able to travel the way she does, she might pass the throne on. they all chip in and help with her duties now because she is getting up in age.

as far as how long they monarch will stand doing business the way it does by remaining part of the country's payroll maybe a different story. they do make more in royalties than they spend for the government, but people are complaining, so they may give in and let them go on their own. if they do this, then the royal family can then run for public offices, so i don't think they want to. of course they will win every election and it will look as if the royal family does rule england then. i don't think it would be a good idea to let them go out on their own because of the politics involved.

i kind of wish to see a new king and queen in my era, but long live the queen! lol. her mothe lived to be 101 or more. i can't remember, but i think elizabeth will live that long as well.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Feel the same way, I Want a King Charles III (GeorgeVII) But hope Her Majesty lives a long life. I Wish the same for the Duke as well.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:51 AM

please do not preempt....we dont know what's going to happen...harry might have frailties..but who knows...............
Old 11-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Courtier

I think that the monarchy will not last with conditions going on with the royal family espically by Pince Charles marrying Camilla. I have noting against William but he should have to wait until Charles becomes king and his reign ends. Look at the past history of some other monarchies the late king Hussein of Jordan was much younger than William when he become king he was only 18 talking about growing up fast another king who was also 18 king Msawli of Swaziland those are just examples of those were very young and became monarch. And I believe that Australia and Canada will become republics after the reign of Elizabeth II as queen.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 11-06-2006, 07:34 PM

A 1000 year old institution isn't going to come crashing down because of one marriage and a reign that won't last more than 10 years if it happens at all.

Tags
british monarchy, future of the monarchy