The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Aristocracy

I believe the British Monarchy will be around for a while yet. The Windsors seem to have strong survival instincts. I think after the Queen's reign comes to an end, we will see a more streamlined Monarchy with just the Monarch, the Monarch's husband/wife and their children as the only working royals.

The truth is that the Monarchy's future really depends on William. The present problem with the Monarchy is that Charles has had to wait a life time to become King. The heir to the the throne has no real role so therefore Charles has gotten himself into trouble. I have no doubt Charles, if he becomes King, will be a good monarch, but honestly the Monarchy would be best served with William succeeding his grandmother and becoming King while he is relatively young. One just has to look at British history and see that the best British Monarchs (Elizabeth I, Victoria, and Elizabeth II) all came to the throne before they were 30.

As for the Commonwealth Realms in which the Queen is still head of state, I predict they will all be republics within the next 25 to 50 years. Australia being the first. Canada will probably be one of the last, as the Canadian Constitution has really legally entrenched the monarchy so much so that it ALL levels of government must support the creation of a republic. Those who know Canadian politics know that is not going to be easy.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtonruben359
As for the Commonwealth Realms in which the Queen is still head of state, I predict they will all be republics within the next 25 to 50 years. Australia being the first. Canada will probably be one of the last, as the Canadian Constitution has really legally entrenched the monarchy so much so that it ALL levels of government must support the creation of a republic. Those who know Canadian politics know that is not going to be easy.
I have heard (not read - it was a program on ABC Australia I believe) by a member (possibly lesser) of the Canadian Parliament say that if at any time the Commonwealth of Canada progressed with moves to form a republican administration, that it 'most likely' wouldn't be until the Commonwealth of Australia made the initial move to gain total indapendant sovereignty.

There are quite a few differencs though in regards to how our two countries (constitutions) perceive the institution of monarchy, so I imagine it would be a longer, if not more complicated (?) process for Canada to gain total indapendance from the crown, than it would Australia. But then again we already have held a referendum on the matter (intricacies aside).

Old 10-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
There are quite a few differencs though in regards to how our two countries (constitutions) perceive the institution of monarchy, so I imagine it would be a longer, if not more complicated (?) process for Canada to gain total indapendance from the crown, than it would Australia. But then again we already have held a referendum on the matter (intricacies aside).
Basically Canada cannot become a republic or change the roles of the Monarch and the Govenor General without 100% concent of the House of Commons, The Senante (the upper house), and all 10 provincial governments (some of which would require a provincial referendum). Polls show that about 44% of Canadians favour a republic and 56% want to keep the monarchy.

The Queen is very popular in Canada, so I doubt we'll change anything until she dies.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
The day Uluru is covered in snow is the day Costello will get the job, and thank goodness for that!

A Federal Republic we shall become but not for some years yet, I'm sure.
Exactly what I was thinking! Great minds think alike!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Isn't it interesting though that he has time to be Patron of sporting organisations but not children's charities or elder abuse charities?
Good point, but perhaps he's taking on these organisations first, to feel his way a little. Like you, I will be extremely disappointed if he fails to take on other, more deserving causes later.

So, BeatrixFan, I'm wondering your opinion on Charles, William's father, if you care to give it (or anyone else too, of course)? To me, he is far more of a worry as regards the future of the monarchy than his son is -- at this stage, anyway.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Basically Canada cannot become a republic or change the roles of the Monarch and the Govenor General without 100% concent of the House of Commons, The Senante (the upper house), and all 10 provincial governments (some of which would require a provincial referendum). Polls show that about 44% of Canadians favour a republic and 56% want to keep the monarchy.

The Queen is very popular in Canada, so I doubt we'll change anything until she dies.
Thanks for your reply, timtonruben359. I admit I find constitutions a very interesting topic.

In Australia, the Queen is very much respected and well thought of (even amongst republicans) yet it is the relevance of the office of Her Australian Majesty within this Australiasian society which fuels the republican movement.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Personally, I find him to be a media bunny. He wants to please them but at the same time he tries to say that he loathes them. I find him extremely boring and lazy and he expects us to hail him as a marvellous asset to Britain because he's cuddled a baby at his birth hospital. I know I'm being terribly unfair, cruel and nasty but I don't see this boy as particularly good for Britain. I don't see that he's doing enough and I think that he's got no real purpose in life. He settles for what comes first and it's rather sad. Also, I didn't like the way he told us he wanted to be just like his mother. That was enough to put me off of him for life I'm afraid. So there we are.
Well, yes, that's really a tragedy. If you live long enough you might find yourself the subject of a king William. But maybe you can become a republican then or simply ignore the boy. Did you read this article? You might enjoy it, especially the Tupperware-passage: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magaz...925980,00.html
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Aristocracy

Oh, I found a tupperware quote on rbhq.net. I think half the reason he has so many issues is that he's gone from one adult situation to the next one and the next. Basically he's never been able to really be a kid. There was his mother, the divorce, her antics, his dad's antics, his mother's death, having to remain compsed at the very public funeral while the rabid mob is shrieking for him to 'just cry,' then volatile republicans calling for the destruction of his destiny, then marriage pressure since he was twelve, then of course the God knows what emotional and psychological damage done to him because of the divorce and always seeing his mother on the tabloids, his dad marrying his mistress, etc. I believe that a lot of his innocence was stolen from him and now he's searching for it.

Anyone in his situation would feel haunted and be wide eyed with shock and feel the way he does and look the way he does.

The worst part about it is that he's now getting hounded to marry and start a family. I see all of this as the result of the selfishness of other people. Kate wants marriage, his dad wanted Camilla, Diana wanted freedom (at the cost of her sons' mental and emotional health), and the press wants a fairytale prince who marries a pretty girl and has lots of babies so they have something to write about. Everyone is nibbling at him like he's a piece of bread and I think he can't hack it with military training so people are calling him a wimp (while most couldn't do it themselves) and I imagine he feels inadequate compared to Harry in that regard.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu An
Oh, I found a tupperware quote on rbhq.net. I think half the reason he has so many issues is that he's gone from one adult situation to the next one and the next. Basically he's never been able to really be a kid. There was his mother, the divorce, her antics, his dad's antics, his mother's death, having to remain compsed at the very public funeral while the rabid mob is shrieking for him to 'just cry,' then volatile republicans calling for the destruction of his destiny, then marriage pressure since he was twelve, then of course the God knows what emotional and psychological damage done to him because of the divorce and always seeing his mother on the tabloids, his dad marrying his mistress, etc. I believe that a lot of his innocence was stolen from him and now he's searching for it.

Anyone in his situation would feel haunted and be wide eyed with shock and feel the way he does and look the way he does.

The worst part about it is that he's now getting hounded to marry and start a family. I see all of this as the result of the selfishness of other people. Kate wants marriage, his dad wanted Camilla, Diana wanted freedom (at the cost of her sons' mental and emotional health), and the press wants a fairytale prince who marries a pretty girl and has lots of babies so they have something to write about. Everyone is nibbling at him like he's a piece of bread and I think he can't hack it with military training so people are calling him a wimp (while most couldn't do it themselves) and I imagine he feels inadequate compared to Harry in that regard.
Ah, the charmed life of a royal.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering your opinion on Charles, William's father, if you care to give it (or anyone else too, of course)?
Charles is wonderful. After mourning our dear Queen as is proper, I shall shout with joy "Long Live King Charles". He is the embodiment of all that is British. I look forward to being his subject and he'll have my total loyalty and respect.

Quote:
But maybe you can become a republican then or simply ignore the boy.
Oh I'd never become a republican. This just shows the point. I can like Monarchy without liking the Monarch.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Dont think Charles will be a Bad King he wont be great but he wont be bad.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
I Dont think Charles will be a Bad King he wont be great but he wont be bad.
I think the impression Charles leaves on Britain's future shall be determined by the length of his reign.

It seems unlikely to me, that he will be recognised as one of Britain's great monarchs, but in saying this, his wanting to embrace wider multiculturalism and bringing about the importance of eco friendly living will, I think, establish him as a somewhat enlightened sovereign, a gentleman who is in touch with society and the growing concerns which face our global community.

I see the good in him & the drive in his actions. I really believe he wants to make a difference and how wonderful this is.

How long Charles will have to make that difference is anyone's guess, but when he does succeed his glorious mother I hope he is given long enough to make the changes he was, I think, destined to make.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Did you read this article? You might enjoy it, especially the Tupperware-passage: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magaz...925980,00.html
Meowwww........
Old 10-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The truth is that the Monarchy's future really depends on William. The present problem with the Monarchy is that Charles has had to wait a life time to become King. The heir to the the throne has no real role so therefore Charles has gotten himself into trouble. I have no doubt Charles, if he becomes King, will be a good monarch, but honestly the Monarchy would be best served with William succeeding his grandmother and becoming King while he is relatively young. One just has to look at British history and see that the best British Monarchs (Elizabeth I, Victoria, and Elizabeth II) all came to the throne before they were 30.
I don't think skipping a generation just like that will do any good. Charles won't have a long reign as it is. I think William should wait his dad out, just like Charles still has to wait his mum out.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:17 PM

If they skip a generation they can skip my 60 pence cos they wont be getting it.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Serene Highness

Just because you like Charles better than William, or because you don't want a generation of royals to be skipped in general?

In Sweden, our king's father, Prince Gustav Adolf, died in a airplane accident, even before his grandfather died. Gustav Adolf had four brothers, but two of them, Sigvard and Carl Johan, had married commoner women and lost their right to inherit the thrown, and one of them, Bertil, was already secretly living with his future wife Lillian Craig, a commoner woman. So we ended up skipping a generation. None of Carl XVI Gustaf's uncles ascended the thrown instead of their deceased brother, and Carl Gustaf had to succeed his grandfather as king. To make a long story short, a generation was skipped in our succession, and I think that's a shame, because every generation should have their time on the thrown.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:06 PM

Both. To skip a generation would demean and make a mockery of everything we understand the monarchy to be. If we skip Charles, why do we need a monarchy? Surely we've defeating the object of having the institution? I don't like William and as far as I'm concerned, I'll never be a subject of his. But I agree with you - every generation has a time and they should live out their time. To skip Charles would be deeply ungrateful and IMO, totally foolish. Nobody can seriously say that this boy could do a better job than his father could?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
Just because you like Charles better than William, or because you don't want a generation of royals to be skipped in general?

In Sweden, our king's father, Prince Gustav Adolf, died in a airplane accident, even before his grandfather died. Gustav Adolf had four brothers, but two of them, Sigvard and Carl Johan, had married commoner women and lost their right to inherit the thrown, and one of them, Bertil, was already secretly living with his future wife Lillian Craig, a commoner woman. So we ended up skipping a generation. None of Carl XVI Gustaf's uncles ascended the thrown instead of their deceased brother, and Carl Gustaf had to succeed his grandfather as king. To make a long story short, a generation was skipped in our succession, and I think that's a shame, because every generation should have their time on the thrown.
It appears that the Swedish parliament took advantage of Carl Gustaf's youth to strip some of the majesty of the Swedish monarchy. Is that true, Furienna?
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Nobody can seriously say that this boy could do a better job than his father could?
William doesn't possess the life experience that I think is, nowadays, necessary to fulfill the role of monarch but it will come to him with time, just as it has his father, Im sure.

The world is so very much changed since the accession of Elizabeth II, a lady of then 26 (?) years inherited an Empire that had been amassed over centuries by her forbearers. She was 'green in judgement' and that was widely seen as something new and exciting, a beautiful and dutiful young woman leading her country and those across the seas into the future having witnessed the atrocities of World War II just some years before...A NEW BEGINNING...a new era.

A truly romantic picture to be painted and achieved, which of course it has been for the most part (its not over yet) and brilliantly at that.

Whilst I think we shall never see a reign like that of Elizabeth II again, I think there is good to come out of Charles' time as King (at least I hope that is the case) and to neglect him of his born right would be an awful shame.

His ideas reflect someone who understands (for the best part) the society he lives in, where as his young son(s) understand the pub and nightlife culture of London's West End, and hey, that is ok given they are young men who enjoy a good time and rightly so. There is nothing wrong with that, though such youthfulness would hardly be seen as an asset in a world that is confronted with the the present state, and possibility, of world conflict(s) and terror campaigns.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Courtier

I am confident that Australia will be a republic sooner rather than later. This has nothing to do personally with Queen Elizabeth, who's admired and respected. An earlier referendum on the matter was defeated because the alternative models proposed did not have enough support, though the majority of Australians seem to want a republic. Canadian friends of mine have suggested to me that they would always want to remain a constitutional monarchy to prevent their country's being subsumed by the US.

It's difficult to know how good or bad a king William will make. To date, he's done nothing beyond being born in the purple, but it's still early days. Charles, at least, has demonstrated that he has some social conscience and understanding of many issues which plague our world. Further, he is the Heir, and if an hereditary monarchy's going to mean anything at all then he should be king. However, he comes from very long-lived families, and it's quite unlikely that he'll be crowned monarch for some years to come, and I suspect that he'll never be King of Australia.

I think that it's possible that European royalty will survive, if only because they, respectively, provide an individual, national identity for their countries at a time when national boundaries are being blurred, supposedly for economic reasons. Australia doesn't have quite the same imperatives.

Polly

Tags
british monarchy, future of the monarchy