The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2006, 02:52 PM

We British never change. The press may talk and start rumours about change but things won't change. We like tradition and stability. We'll never change and in 100 years, the monarchy will be just as much of a presence as it is now. I wouldn't allow it to be anything else.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

You don't mean to say you're going to be around in 100 years time to stop them abolishing it, do you?

Old 10-24-2006, 03:18 PM

I intend to have my head cryogenically preserved a la Futurama. I shall be in 100 years being as obstinate and as difficult as ever.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Oh, right, of course...silly of me not to have realised.

Don't know why I even asked.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

100 years is a long time in the future, I think there's a strong chance that the Monarchy may have disappeared by then.
Chares isn't particularly popular and if he has a long reign then I can see the popularity of the Monarchy declining. However, I think William would provoke less of a negative reaction.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:30 PM

Charles's reign is a speck of time on the timeline of the universe. Personally I feel it'll be too short to make a difference. It rests on William and I find the boy ghastly and a mistake - BUT if we do lose the monarchy, I shall simply move or declare myself Queen.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Courtier

Bravo BeatrixFan,

JUst take your herbal teas, cut down on the sugar and fat, eat the veggies, keep up the good British habit of walking, walking, walking and live a happy life of which the dear Queen is such a lovely part and I am sure that the odds will mightily increase that you will be around in 100 years to be greeted by Elizabeth III, who looks so much like her great, gread Grandmother that it will bring tears to your eyes as she greets you at a garden party at Buckingham Palace iheld in honour of Great Britains finest and most senior British subjects.

I know one should not inject politics but since Australia has been mentioned, I cannot for the life of me understand with all these lovely royals, warts and all, even the warts add so much colour to life, why anybody would want a republic. Now if the first ladies could start wearing tiaras and you could have all these really good looking women being married to the man in line to the throne-oops, I mean presidency, then things might be a little different. Cheers.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Royal Highness

Charles will be a good King and the people will realize!
William is just a very young man, how do you know that he will be a good King, because he looks so cute?
The monarchy will survive for more than 100 years, the people will always love the tradition and the pomp and glory!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:40 PM

Well Thomas, I certainly don't too any of those things but by the time I'm old, they'll have invented something to keep me going. I'm afraid there's no getting rid of me. It will be strange to see the monarchy in the future though. I rather fear I shall be one of these strange old ladies who says, "I remember the old Queen".
Old 10-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Just so long as they don't think you're talking about Queen Victoria...
Old 10-24-2006, 04:11 PM

Of course, the question of a Republic will come up in a matter of months. When they decide to give the English a Parliament, the whole question of the Uk, Europe and who governs us will be thrown up. Let us hope we keep on a steady keel until the referendum.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Royal Highness

It surprised me that many posters forget what a monarchy is: it is a form of state. The form of state is -in most countries- fixed in concrete constitutions which are very hard to change. Popularity of the actual monarch is really not of such an importance.

Yes, the monarchy was restored in Spain, but that really was because the dictator kept Spain a monarchy with a vacant throne and he designated the present King as his Heir. For the rest it is a hell of a job to change a Constitution (and thus the monarchy).

For the rest: it is interesting to note that the world's most wealthy, liberal, modern and tolerant states often are 'oldfashioned' monarchies. States with a fantastic social security system. With legal regulations for gay marriages, abortions, women's rights. With a heavy -but equalizing- tax system. Which states? Danmark, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Luxembourg....

The only monarchy which could collapse, and not because people vote them away but because their realm simply cease to exist, is Belgium. That is, for now, the only eventual possibility we will all witness in the coming decade or two.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:23 PM

With respect, that's the clinical view. It's a form of state in definition only. In truth and in modern terms, it's a family raised above all others and given certain privelages which they must earn by facing extreme difficulties and slogging their guts out. The Queen is lucky - she is above criticism, not because she is the Head of State - but because she's a dear old lady who has worked for us tirelessly as the Head of State. It isn't about her legal role, it's about her emotional role and that's what people decide on. People make their decisions on their affections and emotions - not on legal terminology.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I mean the UNITED KINGDOM not a kingdom?
I can't possibly imagine the country not being a kingdom, it's part of our identity, our culture, our way of life...
Maybe some Monarchs won't be good but people can kick them off and choose a better one but the country is a KINGDOM totally!
I hope I have made sense with my rambling
Old 10-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
With respect, that's the clinical view. It's a form of state in definition only. In truth and in modern terms, it's a family raised above all others and given certain privelages which they must earn by facing extreme difficulties and slogging their guts out. The Queen is lucky - she is above criticism, not because she is the Head of State - but because she's a dear old lady who has worked for us tirelessly as the Head of State. It isn't about her legal role, it's about her emotional role and that's what people decide on. People make their decisions on their affections and emotions - not on legal terminology.
Still it will be a hell of a job to change the United Kingdom with an unpopular King into a republic with President Brown. Don't forget that an eventual not so loved monarch can be 'counterbalanced' by a hugely popular future monarch who is loved by the people.

Maybe the British public will be cold and distant towards King Charles III but they are over the moon with the lovely Prince and Princess of Wales and their cute little children.

The same happened in Luxembourg: the extremely distant Grand Duke was respected, but the Luxembourgians were in love with Henri and Maria Teresa.

In the Netherlands Queen Beatrix is more 'feared' than that she is loved. She is so formidable and holds so much power, that she is seen as the manager of Netherlands Inc. who holds the whip. But her son, the Prince of Orange, Princess Máxima and their two daughters have boosted the monarchy to alltime high ratings and the Queen is in their slipstream as 'the loving grandmaman'.

So there are periods of cold, distance and there are periods of deep affection and love. It counts for most monarchies.

The hugely popular Queen Juliana was succeed by the widely seen as arrogant, distant, aloof and cold Queen Beatrix. But maybe that was what the Dutch monarchy needed: bring back the formality and the regalness after the 'too informal' Reign of her mother.

The hugely popular King Albert II will be succeed by his son Prince Philippe, widely seen as dumb-and-dumber, clumsy, a wooden stick, with zero charisma. It is that Mathilde does camouflage it a little bit, but also this will be survived (when Belgium remains as a state).
Old 10-24-2006, 04:51 PM

Well, you're assuming that Charles will be the unpopular one. Certainly Mr Brown would never be accepted as President - we don't even know if he'll be accepted as Prime Minister yet. Let's be honest. As long as we have a King who knows what he's doing then he'll do well however long or short his reign is. And Charles knows what he's doing. He certainly isn't as unpopular as some would make him out to be.

On the issue of a United Kingdom - it'll come to an end, I've no doubt about that. But let's keep it in perspective. The Republicans are a very very small minority who mainly rally the cause from their armchair. The Monarchists are plentiful and passionate. The rest don't care and just follow the flag wavers. The Royal Family isn't in any danger for a long time yet.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I think Tony Blair has tried to marginalise the monarchy and detach Britain from its heritage to an extent. If his successor continues down the same road, the monarchy could become quite irrelevant to younger people, and that would make it vulnerable.
I'm not in Britain but I work in the hospitality industry and have met/meet many British travelers. After seeing this question posted the other night, I made a point to ask them for their opinion. They all felt things would change considerably after the present Queen dies. And more ppl than not (I was quite surprised) felt the monarchy wouldn't be around in 100 years. As suspected, the younger ppl couldn't really care about the monarchy and felt the "people" shouldn't pay for them. The older ones reflected more on the past and how things haven't changed for the better.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Think anything is possible I Just want to be around long enough to see Charles as King I Think its high time they got rid of Blair and Got Gordon in but in the Long run im looking for a Monarchist Liberal Government or possibly Conservitive, I Think more young people should take an interest in The Royal Family its part of Britian it IS the U.K.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Serene Highness

I still have a hard time believing the Brittish will get rid of their monarchy.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
I'm not in Britain but I work in the hospitality industry and have met/meet many British travelers. After seeing this question posted the other night, I made a point to ask them for their opinion. They all felt things would change considerably after the present Queen dies. And more ppl than not (I was quite surprised) felt the monarchy wouldn't be around in 100 years. As suspected, the younger ppl couldn't really care about the monarchy and felt the "people" shouldn't pay for them. The older ones reflected more on the past and how things haven't changed for the better.
Britain's pay around $112 a year for their Monarch, so what's that..around 45 GBP when converting from AUD$ and 59 when converting from US$.

The cost of the Queen has also risen by 4% and now stands at a total of about $68 million (AUD$ conersion = 27,000,00O US$ = 36,000,000 GBP)

http://www.exposay.com/taxpayers-pay...zabeth/v/2455/

Tags
british monarchy, future of the monarchy