The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I agree. There's something about monarchy that's deeply ingrained in a nation's psyche IMO. And I think that although there are republicans in all monarchies, it takes a lot of social upheaval or even revolution to depose one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
it will last as long as the Monarch Retains some Respect

Old 02-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Oh, how I dislike saying this, but I am in agreement with Ygrain. This began when the monarchy became a Constitutional Monarchy. I believe when William ascends the throne, the institution will begin to wain, but not be dissolved. It will take a few generations, but it will happen.

As for political identity, that is the realm of the citizens (they're not subjects any more, are they), which will be marked by how they vote.
I think the institution is waning right now.The respect that people feel for them is draining all the time. For example: If people are saying I don't want Charles I want William then they don't want a monarchy they want a modified democracy. After all the whole point of a monarchy is to take whoever is next in line. You can't vote out one person in favor of another unless you get rid of the whole organization in favor of a democracy.

I believe that they are still considered subjects but I believe they consider themselves citizens.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I think the institution is waning right now.The respect that people feel for them is draining all the time. For example: If people are saying I don't want Charles I want William then they don't want a monarchy they want a modified democracy. After all the whole point of a monarchy is to take whoever is next in line. You can't vote out one person in favor of another unless you get rid of the whole organization in favor of a democracy.

I believe that they are still considered subjects but I believe they consider themselves citizens.
There have been monarchies in the past, where the eldest child was not automaticaly ruler, that when the ruler died, a counsel decided who would take the title.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMolly View Post
There have been monarchies in the past, where the eldest child was not automaticaly ruler, that when the ruler died, a counsel decided who would take the title.
That is a weird monarchy. Thinks though for the different suggestion. I suppose that could be an idea. Then again why not go for a republic where you have a prime minister and then a president?

I do acknowledge though that in this regard I tend to be more black/white. Either you have monarchy and accepts who comes next or you don't. I know that the world doesn't work like that so a modified solution could be the answer.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think that the monarchy will totally disappear. I think what you will see is people who have royal blood becoming more and more like your average person. They will still have their titles but will have jobs or will have more in common with the average folk. They will not of course have the power or influence that they did (I don't see any monarchy becoming stronger).

One thing I can't understand and of course this is just me. If I was born with a royal title or entitled to one, I would have it in my name. Some royals don't do this but if you're born with it or entitled to it, why not?

If I had documentation to prove that my ancestry came from a baron, Earl or Lord I would go by the title Baroness Lucy..... or Lady Lucy or whatever. If I'm legally entitled to this title or could prove this, why not. People roll their eyes when I say this as I imagine people reading this will be rolling their eyes as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Serene Highness

Monarchies are always producing more offspring than can remain officially involved, hence rules of male primogeniture and the fact that women typically can't give their titles to their husbands (not all monarchies/hereditary nobility worked that way, but most eventually do).

So, I doubt that some of Queen Elizabeth's first cousins' descendants will be on anyone's radar as royalty, they will not have titles, they will be ordinary people with aristocratic ancestry.

But, the direct line from Queen Elizabeth to Prince Charles to Prince William will still be in place. Prince Harry will probably be a distant memory, but William and Catherine's offspring will continue on (unless they don't have any, in which case Prince Harry and his offspring will definitely become important).

In other words, it will be much the way it is now.

Tags
british monarchy, future of the monarchy