The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-10-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I see the monarchy being obsolete in 50-100 years.
Any reason?

Old 12-25-2006, 05:45 AM
Nobility

Sounds like a no BeatrixFan!

The Constitutional Monarchy in Australia is a model with a stable, uncontested, non-political yet controllable (by the parliament or courts) sovereign. As stated before, we in effect, have the best of both worlds with the dignity, grace and symbol for pride we have in the person of Her Majesty, but also the fully accountable, bicameral, elected parliament headed by a prime minister.

Monarchies entrench integrity also (even though we have been especially lucky with the sense of duty Her Majesty, and most other monarchs, take their role), by being incorruptible - with what would you tempt or bribe a monarch. With money? Praise? Social standing? Well - they have plenty of that already. Can the same be said of presidents of republics?

Old 02-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Commoner

Monarchy is an anachronistic concept that has very little time left.They are only human beings that are not capable of any more than anybody else they are not different we all share the same flesh and blood we need to concentrate on sorting out the mess we have made of the planet instead of putting a small group of people on pedastals because they pretend to be something "special"
Old 02-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygraine
Monarchy is an anachronistic concept that has very little time left.They are only human beings that are not capable of any more than anybody else they are not different we all share the same flesh and blood we need to concentrate on sorting out the mess we have made of the planet instead of putting a small group of people on pedastals because they pretend to be something "special"
And elected presidents are more capable than anybody else and are not of the same flesh and blood as us? Perhaps the names Nixon and Clinton may ring a bell...?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Aristocracy

In all of the turmoil that has engulfed the Middle East we should stop to realize that the most stable and politically sound countries in the arab world are the states that have a monarchy. I do not believe that the system of monarchy archane or out of touch with today. On the contrary I believe it to be something that is vastly overlooked as a possible solution to the failed states where democracy has all but failed.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, I think it may be more true to say that the most stable and politically sound (and prosperous) countries include a disproportionate number of constitutional monarchies. Some of the unstable states in the Middle East are absolute monarchies, and I don't think they're particularly admirable role models.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Aristocracy

The monarchy is an extremely important part of the New Zealand identity.As I am both a retired constitutional ally to former Governor-General Sir Michael Hardie Boys & a member of the Monarchist League of New Zealand,I am totally opposed to the idea of cutting off the monarchy,as the risk of civil war is too great.Look at Zimbabwe to see republicanism in action.

Being of British descent,I also regard republicanism with the suspicion it deserves,because of its association with Sinn Fein/I.R.A. terrorism.

New Zealand will always be a part of the British Commonwealth family of countries.Eventually,Ireland & Zimbabwe will return to the British Commonwealth,& Somaliland will finally get its independence recognised & admitted as a full British Commonwealth member state.

Aidan.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilah
I see the monarchy being obsolete in 50-100 years.
I say sooner than that!!
Old 04-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Obsolete nah!!!!! They Survived Cromwell Lets hope they dont make that mistake again lol
Old 04-10-2007, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Since this thread is for discussion of the British Monarchy, posts discussing the former Grand Duchy of Finland have been removed.

thanks.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Commoner

Exclamation

British? Most likley extinct. Let's hope not..
Old 04-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Serene Highness

Oh, I don't think so. I rather think the monarchies, which are still left today, are here to stay.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Courtier

I don't think the monarchy will survive as Britain, as we know it today or knew 20 years ago, will be a different country in 20 years, much less 50 to 100 years for reasons that are obvious, but is restricted to say on this forum as they are political reasons.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

As long as the Monarch does a Decent Job and theres a responsible Government All will be well.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygraine
Monarchy is an anachronistic concept that has very little time left.They are only human beings...
You would think, wouldn't you? But just remember the public mourning when Diana, Princess of Wales died. And how much people really do respect the queen and would stand up for her. You wouldn't exactly get away with cursing her name in front of me. In many countries, the former royal families and nobilities are still acknowledged. In some, being from one of these families is the ticket into government. Public education may have eliminated the power of the educated few, but not diminished the esteem that people place in the traditional social systems. And it has grown increasingly apparent in recent years how much coutries without monarchies replace that system with celebrities--varitable celebriarchy. I mean, does anyone actually think that the public cares about Tom and Katie's baby because she will grow up to be a superior actress? Hardly. You may say that times are changing, but if you bother at all to look back at history, you would see how little anything has changed.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
I don't think the monarchy will survive as Britain, as we know it today or knew 20 years ago, will be a different country in 20 years, much less 50 to 100 years for reasons that are obvious, but is restricted to say on this forum as they are political reasons.
I can't imagine a British political identity sans monarchy. And I doubt I'm the only one.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Courtier

Sometimes I think the monarch should have more direct powers in England. I've always believed that people who are raised to rule should have at least some voice. However, should the monarchy cease to exist in the UK, I only hope that the royal family should move to another of the countries that the sovereign governs and takes on the role there. I might cite the example of the Portuguese Royal family fleeing Napoleon to Brasil--and staying for quite some time.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
If you will check the rules, you'll see that political issues which directly relate to monarchy are perfectly legitimate topics of discussion. We just want to avoid having threads descend into politically motivated arguments.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

it will last as long as the Monarch Retains some Respect
Old 01-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, how I dislike saying this, but I am in agreement with Ygrain. This began when the monarchy became a Constitutional Monarchy. I believe when William ascends the throne, the institution will begin to wain, but not be dissolved. It will take a few generations, but it will happen.

As for political identity, that is the realm of the citizens (they're not subjects any more, are they), which will be marked by how they vote.

Tags
british monarchy, future of the monarchy