The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-27-2017, 03:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It's not about wishes. It's about law.

Legally Carla Bruni is Carla Bruni. Legally she cannot add Sarkozy to her name. It's illegal in France to alter your name.

By Custom women can Choose to be addressed by their husbands name. Carla chooses to be addressed as both. But legally she is not. Legally on all documents she is dimply Bruni. As is any woman in France.

Napoleonic law still in place.

Excuse me but this is wrong I am French married and my name is legally my husband’s name

Old 04-30-2019, 08:02 AM
Royal Highness

According to the French government, usage of the name of the spouse is authoraized on certain official documents, but it does not replace the legal name.

Nom d'usage : utilisation du nom de sa femme ou de son mari | service-public.fr

Old 04-30-2019, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfisa View Post
This crossed my mind the other day. The princes obviously have passports/drivers licenses/student IDs and stuff like that. I wonder what names they use on it. Like would their surname be "Wales"? Even after William was made the Duke of Cambridge? Or would their surname be "Windsor"? Would the title of "HRH Prince..." be included in their names? Just a thought.
I would assume HRH Prince William Arthur Philip Louis, Duke of Cambridge. He doesn’t use a last name.