What languages do the British Royals know?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurene

City
Paris
Country
France
which languages do they speak...

First of all, I would like to say hello to everybody because I'm
new here...I'm french, I'm 21

Anyway I would like to know which langages o Harry and William speak (appart from english of course)?

Welcome. :cool:

Harry and William both have background in Spanish, French, and Latin. Beatrice and Eugenie both have background in French, and probably at least Latin. William has been attempting to teach himself Swahilli for several years.

When did Harry take Spanish lessons? He definitely had Latin and French because Eton requires them. But I've never read anything about him having Spanish lessons.

Beatrice definitely had French because her school requires it. Eugenie probably took it though her school offers other languages. There's no reason to believe either Beatrice or Eugenie took Latin. Neither of their schools (St George's and Marlborough) require it.

Well i did read some where that PW and PH took Spanish in Eton. Also the Queen speaks French fluently.

I, too, had thought I read that Harry took Spanish but now can't seem to find it- so, it's probable that he didn't take Spanish.

I said 'probably' with Beatrice and Eugenie because it's a fairly common language- but since I don't recall reading about it, I just left it at 'probably'.

I remember reading that Williams passed his A Levels (or whatever you call it) for Spanish. But I hadn't heard that Harry took Spanish.
Wasn't William trying to learn a little Welsh too?

Beatrice would have taken latin as its part of the classes the take in the 2nd year and up there(st.george's, ascot).

According to this site William's passed three A levels.

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/princes/william/william_after_alevels.html

These were History of Art, Geography and Biology.

He also passed 12 GSCE's including 'languages' but I couldn't find any list of which languages - I do remember reading that Latin was one.

As he didn't continue with any language into his last two years of schooling the question would need to be raised about how thoroughly he knows the 'languages' he did pass for the GCSEs.

Princess Beatrice passed French as one of her GCSEs.

chrissy57 said:
According to this site William's passed three A levels...
Thanks for clarifying Chrissy. I'm not that familiar with the British grading system. I thought Spanish was one of the A Levels. But I did read that he took some Spanish. It's a shame they don't list the languages.

Last edited by a moderator:
rchat said:
Thanks for clarifying Chrissy. I'm not that familiar with the British grading system. I thought Spanish was one of the A Levels. But I did read that he took some Spanish. It's a shame they don't list the languages.

I went looking a bit further and came up with the following site:

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/princes/william/w18_15_eton.html

According to this information his GSCEs were in

French, Latin, Biology, English, English Literature, Geography, History, Spanish, Maths and Additional French. The Prince also studied Divinity, Chemistry and Physics, along with courses in Art, Music and Design, as well as PE.

He received different grades with the first three getting the highest grade - an A with an *, the next few getting an A (which is where your confusion I suspects comes as he got an A in Spanish in his GSCEs but then didn't continue with the subject). He got B's in the last two.

Oh, it looks like he studied more French than anything. I don't know why I didn't remember the French. Hm. :eek:
Anyway, yeah, I must've read that he got an 'A' in Spanish and that's where the confusion came from.
He had an impressive curriculum.
Thanks again Chrissy.

I couldn't find a thread to put this in so I started one.

I was wondering how many different languages the royal family can speak? And who can speak them?

I know The Queen speaks french

French is spoken by EIIR, Philip, Charles, William, Harry, Anne, Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie, Edward, Richard, Edward Kent, Alexandra and Michael (almost, if not, all the born British royals have learned French either through tutors or at school, though their fluency in the language varies)

German is spoken by Philip and Marie-Christine (and possibly Birgitte, seeing as she's Danish) -- EIIR, despite rumors, does not speak it

Danish is spoken by Birgitte

Philip speaks what his cousin termed "kitchen Greek"

Charles speaks a smattering of Welsh (he was sent to Aberstwyth U in Wales to learn a little for a semester before his investiture). Charles speaks at least one sentence of Cornish (due to a tradition requiring Dukes of Cornwall to say some ritual sentence upon being presented with some ritual tribute).

Anyone who went to Eton learned Latin because it's mandatory.

I Didnt even Know Cornish was a language

Cornish is one of the old languages in the same family as Welsh and Gaelic; it's not commonly spoken at all these days, though.

Prince Michael speaks Russian or Polish or both, doesn't he?

I think he speaks Russian, because he has a lot of business contacts in Russia and travels there frequently.

Facts About The Queen.

The Queen speaks fluent French and often uses the language for Audiences and State Visits. Her Majesty does not require an interpreter.

Last edited:
kelly9480 said:
I think he speaks Russian, because he has a lot of business contacts in Russia and travels there frequently.

Prince Michael learnt Russian in the 1960's when in the army. He became fluent enough to work as an army interpreter.

Princess Alexandra speaks french, she learned it when she was in Paris in 50's.

It's interesting to know that William and Harry learnt Latin at school. So few people learn this language today.

Lakshmi said:
It's interesting to know that William and Harry learnt Latin at school. So few people learn this language today.
Latin ... gives you a broad background which can help you understand the arts and other things in western culture a lot better.
Btw, when learning Latin you focus mainly on translating old texts, so I don't think they're fluent. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Canada and I can confirm that the Queen and Prince Phillip speak French well. The late Queen mother spoke it even better!

Prince and Princess Michael speak Russian - how do I know? Well, when I was at Angus Ogilvy's memorial service, they were standing a little way from me waiting to leave and they were chatting together in Russian so that little eavesdroppers like me couldn't tell what they were saying. They speak German and French apparantly.

i think sophie also speaks french because she learnt it at school, wonder how fluent she still speaks, perhabps she became good in it again after marriying and meeting diferent people from all over the world

Elspeth said:
Prince Michael speaks Russian or Polish or both, doesn't he?
It has been confirmed by The Office of HRH Prince Michael of Kent that apart from English,HRH Prince Michael of Kent can speak French, Russian, German and Italian.

When the Queen is shown on French television speaking French, it is curiously enough greeted with great pleasure and interest. The French upper classes speak French with an accent approaching the equivalent English one.

As great efforts are made by the French to speak English wherever possible (a point of pride), the fact that someone as important as the Queen reciprocates is truly appreciated. I get the feeling sometimes that the French really admire (and would wish to have) the English monarchy...

Can I ask what languages British royal from the past spoke?
F.ex. Kings George VI, Edward VII, VIII and Queens Victoria, Alexandra, Mary, Elizabeth (Queen Mother) etc. Anyone know that?

The Queen would have some knowledge of German though wouldn't she? She was learning the language up until 1939 so she'd know the basics.

Back
Top Bottom