The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 AM

What do you guys make of this?

I've just signed up to this forum and had a quick browse through the boards. There are some very interesting topics. The reason I signed up was after reading an article entitled "A Royal Waste Of Money" I had mixed feelings in regards to royal occasions. I wanted to see your opinions about the article;

Here is the article:
A Royal Waste of Money - Enraged Citizen

What do you guys think?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Courtier

I think that this enraged individual is entitled to his opinion.. but [fortunately] 75 % of the public [according to surveys] disagree, and are in favour of the monarchy.

The idea that republics are cheaper [or more egalitarian] is simply wrong. A look at what the Elysee palace costs the French, or the White House costs the Americans proves this. In addition there are the costs of regular presidential elections, and the pensions, office costs and security of numerous ex-presidents.

As for egalitarianism.. the lobbyists ensure that whoever is elected is from a carefully selected selected group, financed by the corporations or other elite forces in society. I'm glad we do not have a system so wide open to corruption and special interests in this country, and that 'the top job' cannot be bought as it can in other countries,

Old 07-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The idea that republics are cheaper [or more egalitarian] is simply wrong. A look at what the Elysee palace costs the French, or the White House costs the Americans proves this. In addition there are the costs of regular presidential elections, and the pensions, office costs and security of numerous ex-presidents.

Every time this discussion comes up (or variations of it) this concept is mentioned and I'm left confused.

Yes, in democratic republics you have to pay for elections on a regular basis, but last I checked constitutional monarchies also have a system of elected representation that results in people paying for regular elections. The parliaments of a constitutional monarchy still have office costs, and I really doubt that there are no pensions or security costs for ex-Prime Ministers.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post

i disagree with this. yes, the elysee or the white house are expensive to run but any monarchy will have the royal palaces to run plus the residence of their prime minister or president (and the subsistence and security of old presidents, as you mention, PLUS the old monarchs). it's not like democratic monarchies only have the king or queen (ie. the queen of great britain AND cameron or the king of spain AND rajoy AND the ex-king of spain...)
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Courtier

Carlota & Ish - France has Presidential Elections AND prime-ministerial ones , and the Royal palaces would need to be maintained and run even if no monarch lived in them.

Ex Prime Ministers in the Uk do have [fairly minimal] security,but no office costs are paid, and again their pensions are modest in comparison to French or American ones..
Old 07-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's simply one person's opinion.

But the thing no one seems willing to acknowledge is that if the RF vanished tomorrow, it would make no difference to the taxpayer.
The money would go on some politician's expense account, or on entitlement programs of one sort or another. It would never revert back to the taxpayer.

That's just the way things are. Citizens in the USA are often enraged by the greed of certain elected officials who have huge pensions, security, and family vacations with costs that spiral into the millions. But that is part of the perks of office.

Personally I'd prefer a monarchy; at least you'd get a decent pageant or two to show for your money!