The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Commoner

I like Camilla's dress but i think that the necklace would have been perfect for a State event like the State Opening of Parliament instead of a banquet in Africa.. I like Her Majesty's dress also but with all of those ornaments on the top of her dress the necklace in useful.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
The Duchess of Cornwall's appearance at tonight's dinner is the perfect answer to the 'How much is too much?' question in the Royal Jewels section of this Forum.
Glittering she might be - or rather: Her diamonds are - but IMHO it turns into a Bling Overkill.
Doesn't strike me as very smart or sensitive to appear decked out like this in such a poor country either.
I love diamonds...but she looks very tacky. It's overkill...sometimes these pieces should simply stay in a museum. That is unless you consider yourself some kind of Elizabeth Taylor...

Old 11-24-2007, 01:34 PM

I think we need to look at this in proportion. The head and shoulders pic is a bit misleading (though fab).

BBC NEWS | In Pictures | In Pictures: Commonwealth heads in Uganda

When you see the four together, Camilla's really not overdone at all. They all just blend in nicely.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Royal Highness

Charles and Camilla: ´King and Queen of Nile´
November 24
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have taken some time out from their formal engagements in Uganda to become King and Queen of the Nile, crossing the river at its source.

Charles and Camilla: 'King and Queen of Nile' - Telegraph

Charles and Camilla take a boat on the source of the Nile in Jinja, Uganda

POLFOTO - altid med i billedet

Charles and Camillan visit St. Joseph´s School in Naggalama

A nice pic!

Another one:
Old 11-24-2007, 02:12 PM

The video in this article shows Camilla 'in motion'. It gives a much more realistic view of her outfit and shows it to be exceptionally good. I read that there's a state banquet tonight, does this mean another tiara do?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post

The video in this article shows Camilla 'in motion'. It gives a much more realistic view of her outfit and shows it to be exceptionally good. I read that there's a state banquet tonight, does this mean another tiara do?
Are tiaras always an official do at these banquets? Just curious if it is sometimes required...or left up to the person...
Old 11-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
Charles and Camilla: ´King and Queen of Nile´
I love the second picture in the boat! Camilla with a camera. Turn about is fair play. I wonder what wildlife she's attempting to photograph.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
Are tiaras always an official do at these banquets? Just curious if it is sometimes required...or left up to the person...
Well, usually the Queen wears a tiara at a state banquet whether the country is a monarchy or not. So I assume Camilla follows the same rule and she'll wear a tiara tonight. I doubt she'll wear the Honeycomb twice though so we may be in for another diamond fest for people to moan about.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Aristocracy

I'm not a fan of Camilla's by any means, although my respect for her has grown over this last year. I think the impression that she tried to upstage the Queen is a bunch of sour grapes. When other ladies of the BRF are going to appear with the Queen, they are going to make very sure they don't clash in their choices of gowns, colors, jewelry, etc., so I imagine there is quite a bit of back and forth between the Queen's staff and the other ladies. Not to mention that these things are planned weeks and sometimes months in advance. How else can they have those lovely gowns ready in time, and make sure the proper accessories and jewels are packed? Not a single stitch or single jewel the Duchess wore was a surprise to the Queen. If she had a problem with any of it you can bet that Camilla would have been told and changes made post haste. How can Camilla really upstage someone she has to curtsy to?

The Queen is the Queen and that's that. She is strong in her assurance of her place and you can bet that Charles and Camilla both know it to.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Serene Highness

No tiara tonight, but a lovely outfit...

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

What? Someone said "underdressed"?

And a very good one from this afternoon:

Old 11-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
I like this one , the Queen talking to the Prime Minister of India,
interested and without a hat and glasses, that's very lovely

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, second left, her husband prince Philip, left,
Prince Charles and Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall prior to the Queens
Banquet for the Commonwealths Heads of Government in Kampala, Uganda
Friday Nov. 23, 2007.

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5
Thanks a lot for photos!
Her Majesty looked fabulous. As for Duchess of Cornwall, I fully agree with those members, who have stated "Less is more".
Old 11-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Why is an excuse needed? She wore a tiara and a necklace, she didn't tear off a baby's head and wear it as brooch. She hasn't committed a crime, she's worn jewellery given to her by her mother-in-law. The way some people are going on you'd think she'd done a Harry and worn an SS uniform. The Queen gave her the jewellery, she wore it, like everything she wears you either like it or you don't - the important thing is, she liked it, she looked comfortable and she had a ball.
Wearing such prominent pieces to an event where The Queen herself (whether given by the Queen or not is neither here or there given they are not the only pieces in her collection) kept her jewellery to a mininal can be read as being really quite excessively grandiose and I think it was.
Of course, it's possible Charles had an influence in what she wore and if so then his taste remains much to be desired at times.

But it's always great seeing photo's of the Duchess so I'm glade of that.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
No tiara tonight, but a lovely outfit...
I think she looks better dressed more simply.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Wearing such prominent pieces to an event where The Queen herself (whether given by the Queen or not is neither here or there given they are not the only pieces in her collection) kept her jewellery to a mininal can be read as being really quite excessively grandiose and I think it was.
Ahem. The Queen GAVE Camilla the jewels to wear.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Why couldn't it just be a matter of personal taste in jewelry?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I completely agree. I don't think there's a lot of mileage in Camilla outshining the Queen at events where they're both present. That's a trick Diana was very good at (although she didn't do it with jewels), and it didn't go down too well. Camilla may be the future Queen Consort, but the Queen is still the Queen, and the other royal ladies shouldn't forget it.
I am sure Camilla did not set out to outshine the Queen. The Queen herself would have approved (or more probably, suggested) the use of the jewellery by Camilla, so there is no questioning of outshining
Old 11-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Aristocracy

Camilla looks the best she's ever looked on this trip. Thanks for the info and links :)
Old 11-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well didn´t the late Queen Mum always wear that combination of jewelry too (the Greville jewels), nobody ever complained that she was outshing her reigning monarch. Anyway, IMHO it is impossible to outshine the Queen of Great-Britain, even without any jewels everybody would still know that she is the most important one in the room (she is probably the best known woman in the world).
Old 11-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Ahem. The Queen GAVE Camilla the jewels to wear.
Raspy throat? Awww, should go see you're GP about that..lol.

She may have 'given' them, but to wear them both and without alterations was a poor show on her behalf.

If Charles and Camilla had have represented The Queen then I guess I could understand why the need to display such a mass of 'finnery' but when The Queen is herself present and when it's her Commonwealth..take a back seat Camz and let Lizy lead the way in all things!

Camilla could have made some adjustments but didn't and I think it was in poor taste.

Quote:
Why couldn't it just be a matter of personal taste in jewelry?
Well if that's what she'd normally wear then her taste really is quite horrid. I'm hopeful the Duchess wears it only because she's a member of the royal family and as such, is expected to look her part..though not like a reigning consort as was the case.

I truly think that the overall impression could have been greatly inhanced by the removal of two strands and different earrings.

Quote:
Well didn´t the late Queen Mum always wear that combination of jewelry too
Yes, but the difference being it suited her. Elizabeth was of the era where more is best, Camilla is not.

Anyway, I just hope next time we see it, it's been altered.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-25-2007, 04:25 AM
Serene Highness

Article from the Dailymail:

Camilla, Queen of the Nile | the Daily Mail

Tags
british commonwealth, camilla, duchess of cornwall, duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince charles, prince of wales, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii, uganda