UN Calls for Referendum on Royal Family: April 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bizarre. Simply bizarre. The UK has more pressing issues to deal with then this nonsense.

Given that by the standards of the UN's own Human Development Index, constitutional monarchies appear to be the most successful form of government there is, I wonder why they're bothering.

Maybe they should look at Zimbabwe and Libya before getting too hung up on demanding that Britain "think about" scrapping its monarchy.

I personally think the UN is a scary body and has completely lost the reason why they were set-up in the first place and should focus on more pressing issues.

Bizarre. Simply bizarre. The UK has more pressing issues to deal with then this nonsense.

Better yet, I'd have thought the UN has more pressing issues to deal with than that of a perfectly successfull and stable form of government. What a bunch of t@ssers!!

This seems like a silly proposition to me. The Sri Lankan envoy proposed it? For what reasons? How does it benefit Sri Lanka for Britain to be a republic?

Wow! I can think of a few countries where the monarchy should be abolished before the UK. Just another example of the futility of the UN. :bang:

The UN Human Rights Council with members including Saudi Arabia, Cuba and Syria. Seriously :eek:.

I am atonished with all this nonsense from UN....

The UN serves to be a place where nations can discuss their concerns, and to address humanitarian needs. They have no authority to suggest a referendum like this one! It's simply bizarre. They should be more concerned with the countries with poor Human Rights records that are allowed to be on Human Rights Commissions! :eek:

So iran complains about Sexual discrimination! What can you say about that! Syria complains about the UK disrimination against Muslims (I thought that the UK was too soft) and what on earth has it got to do with Sri Lanka?

we have a much ruder word on the farm than nonsense ********, another example how the UN is the biggest waste of time and resources in the world. with all the things this organization could be focused on this is it? crazy just crazy, the wolves are guarding the henhouse. the UN is part of the problem not part of the solution, grand ideal ends with.....corruption at it's worst. i think we need a referendum on the UN

btw what on earth has it got to do with sri lanka???? LONG LIVE THE QUEEN

:angry: :furious: im mad :bang: at this stupid idea what right have they to interfere in a democratic country the UN is really a waste of time and money :censored:

why dont they sort other major problems in the world rather than attempting to deal with a system that appears to working perfecly
:boxing:who in the UN came up with this idea by the way :boxing:

the UN needs to :bee:out of the UK's busines and deal with real issues

:royalstandard:

:angry: :furious: im mad :bang: at this stupid idea what right have they to interfere in a democratic country the UN is really a waste of time and money :censored:

why dont they sort other major problems in the world rather than attempting to deal with a system that appears to working perfecly
:boxing:who in the UN came up with this idea by the way :boxing:

the UN needs to :bee:out of the UK's busines and deal with real issues

:royalstandard:

Sri Lanka. Goodness only knows why. Course, it might have to do with all the criticism about human rights abuses in Sri Lanka by Amnesty International recently - perhaps they think that Britain's having a constitutional monarchy is a bad enough human rights abuse to deflect people's attention from their own sorry record.
I'm surprised Saudi Arabia went along with it. If they're so keen to promote republican forms of government, they might want to start at home.

Last edited:
Right now I would pay money to see HM The Queen go to the UN herself. She could hand the Saudi Ambassador all the jewels they give the BRF like candy and politely tell him where he can put them.:whistling:

Sri Lanka. Goodness only knows why. Course, it might have to do with all the criticism about human rights abuses in Sri Lanka by Amnesty International recently - perhaps they think that Britain's having a constitutional monarchy is a bad enough human rights abuse to deflect people's attention from their own sorry record.
I'm surprised Saudi Arabia went along with it. If they're so keen to promote republican forms of government, they might want to start at home.

So it's only at the General Assembly level then? Then it means nothing. It's just some random ambassadors from random countries making a cry about nothing at all. The UN as a whole is NOT a waste of money though. It's just that some quarters acting in the UN's name bring discredit on it as a whole.

Yes, you are right CT about the U.N. No one but the British, themselves, should decide when or if the RF should stay or go.

No one but the British, themselves, should decide when or if the RF should stay or go.

Absolutely! For the UN to tell the British to think about getting rid of their centuries-old monarchy is insulting!:bang:

I personally think the UN is a scary body and has completely lost the reason why they were set-up in the first place and should focus on more pressing issues.
I agree--I just can not believe that they have the nerve to even suggest such a thing. Are they a bunch of ego maniacs that feel they have the right to tell everyone how they are permitted to live and rule?

I should think that the UN would have more important concerns to focus their time upon than the BRF. It really does not make sense to me. The monarchy is an important and vital part of both the present and the past in the UK. To abolish is simply assinine.

For godness sake ill now quote from 300 to show how I Feel "This is Madness!) The UN Should be abolished!

UN referendum on the British Royal Family... Have all other pressing issues been properly addressed ..? I agree with Royal Fan noting that it would be better for UN to be dissolved as it has proven ineffectual in resolving a fair number of international issues.

Is it real?!
So what next? let's take and say which countries will have democracy and will not?

The UN really doesn't have that kind of power. From what I've seen and they way they've handled things, they haven't got ANY power. What's their beef with the BRF anyway?

Now, shouldn't these people be more worried about famine in Africa rather than trying to deal with nothing of their own business. From Yahoo! : "Syria accused the UK of discriminating against Muslims and Iran complained about the UK's record on tackling sexual discrimination." ... I tend to believe that what is annoying them is the fact that a woman is ruling one of the most liberal countries in the world. The UN should start teaching a few lessons to those countries part of the jury who find the womankind inferior and don't respect human rights in their own bloody government !

I agree with all of your posts. I also must say that I don't understand why the UN appears to be so highly regarded by many (mostly left-wingers) when it includes countries with such dreadful abuses of human rights. (Who are they to sneer at Great Britain!!!) It's often spoken about in Australia as if it's the most admirable institution in the world!

Regards,
Lisa
bookaddiction

The UN really has nothing to do and now they want to interverne into the state matters of a country? Wonder what does Secretary Ban deal when had audience with the Queen a few days ago? Whatever matter, like human rights are fine, but advising that to abolish the very great monarchy down, is extremely nonsense and stupid. If the British people still support their Monarchy, and love Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II as their Queen, then they should still keep their Monarch. it's not the matter for the UN to get around and do something ridiculous like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom