Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for this, Nico. I particularly enjoyed seeing the Queen dipping a curtsey to the little girl at 5:55. She must have been showing her how it's done.:flowers:
Here's a little video from the excellent documentary "Monarchy' aired some times ago. This part shows the 2006 background of the world famous balcony scene...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this, Nico. I particularly enjoyed seeing the Queen dipping a curtsey to the little girl at 5:55. She must have been showing her how it's done.:flowers:

It was too her great niece Margarita Armstrong Jones -she is very fond of her

Last edited:
I remember when I first saw the footage of everything going on at BP while the balcony door was still closed and I just thought "wicked, I wish I was there" Btw I dunno if I heard correctly but did one of the men say "Charles, no" at 6:40 Sorry I dunno which member of the family it was, I'm only good with identify the immediate family members

Yes i think it was David Linley who said that to his son Charles who was misbehaving

^Thank you! I've always been trying to figure out who it was who said that.

I think you are quite right about you opinions and observations. It makes sense that the Soverign stands in the middle with her/his husband or wife. And it follows out as you say, children, grandchildren, aunts, cousins, so on.
Princess Michael just wanted to be noticed in my eyes. She shouldn't of been directly behind the Queen. She was just being pushy. :)
In the pics I have seen of trooping of the colour in the 80's Princess M was always in the middle, more center than HM's own children! I think the royals don't have rules but automatically know their place, children and Gchildren of HM in the center, Princess Margaret and the Armstrong Jones further to the side and cousins more to the side. If someone edges their way to the center, HM is way to polite to make a scene. To me it seems really like someone is being PUSHY! Now please, don't put me through the 3rd degree b/c of my opinions and observations.
Thanks!:flowers:
Princess Michael has been positioning herself behind Her Majesty for more than 20 years. I do not think she is going to find a more modest place on the balcony. If it makes her look pushy, so be it. It appears that Princess Michael does not care about such trivial things. As stated earlier, she will be bad anyway. That is all ... I think

The three stars on Prince Philip uniform are from the Garter, the Thistle and the third? is it the star of the OBE?

The question to which I was replying was about medals not stars.

Philip has a couple of rows of medals that he has earnt, or be given, over the years.

Most of them come from his war service and some are from Greece and Denmark as the Kings of those countries acknowledged his service by granting him medals from their military in addition to those he won from the British navy.

Princess Michael has been positioning herself behind Her Majesty for more than 20 years. I do not think she is going to find a more modest place on the balcony. If it makes her look pushy, so be it. It appears that Princess Michael does not care about such trivial things. As stated earlier, she will be bad anyway. That is all ... I think

I am sure that if HM was concerned she would have made it known years ago that PM should be further from the centre.

As it has been happening for years I don't think HM cares so why should we?

PM is at the back, whereas those closest to HM in terms of family are at the front. Of course the children are at the front so that they can see but as they grow the choice seems to be move along at the front or centre at the back. PM has opted for centre at the back.

The question to which I was replying was about medals not stars.

Philip has a couple of rows of medals that he has earnt, or be given, over the years.

Most of them come from his war service and some are from Greece and Denmark as the Kings of those countries acknowledged his service by granting him medals from their military in addition to those he won from the British navy.

Yes, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have quoted you.
I wanted to know about the stars.
Anyway, thanks the medals info :)

I am sure that if HM was concerned she would have made it known years ago that PM should be further from the centre.

As it has been happening for years I don't think HM cares so why should we?

Thats exactly, what I think. She's still a little controversial, but for me - and surely for some other people too -, she's still one of the eyecatchers on the balcony. Whereever she stands. ;)

And of all the pics I have from trooping the colour over the the last years, there are also a lot of, in which she WASN'T in the centre...

Welll...she certainly has people talking about her!

So where is the Trooping of the colour performed(the whole march in and the HM watching) is that performed at the back of BP? I know the flypast is at BP but are the ceremonies before that done there too?

In the kind of faux pas royal courtiers are anxious to avoid, the Queen's official birthday Trooping the Colour this weekend was enlivened when the Duchess of Cornwall wore a turquoise outfit which was confusingly similar to the Monarch's ensemble.

From Kay at the Mail

In the kind of faux pas royal courtiers are anxious to avoid, the Queen's official birthday Trooping the Colour this weekend was enlivened when the Duchess of Cornwall wore a turquoise outfit which was confusingly similar to the Monarch's ensemble.

From Kay at the Mail

Be that as it may, I thought HM, Camilla and Sophie looked lovely at the Trooping.

I just loved that the Wessex decided to include Lady Louise, she is such a beautiful child, she looks a lot like her grandmother.
I personally think Prince Harry is the best looking Windors now, he has grown into a very handsome man. IMHO

I loved that Lady Louise was up there too. Hopefully we start to see more of her. Maybe she will be walking with the family at Christmas at Sandringham.

Looking at the trooping pictures. I think Prince William is starting to look more Windsor everytime I see him. I think he is starting to look like his Great-Uncle Prince George, Duke of Kent

Thank you all for posting. How wonderful to see almost the ENTIRE Royal Family..immediate and cousins on the balcony.

Question: If the Queen asks her first cousins too and their families...why is the Earl of Harewood branch always ignored? You NEVER see at least the Earl and his current wife...

Also, I know I am going to sound..bitchy..but I am almost happy Bea and Eugenie were not there....saved me from seeing what outfits they cound screw up this year. I am sorry..but those young ladies seriously need help with their attire for these occasions.

As the discussion on Prince William's resemblance was mirroring that taking place in the Garter thread, it too has been moved to the Family Resemblances thread.

Last edited:
Princess Michael just wanted to be noticed in my eyes. She shouldn't of been directly behind the Queen. She was just being pushy. :)
Maybe, but here's a picture of the Royal Family on the balcony. You'd be hard-pressed picking out Princess Michael without a telephoto lens or binoculars (or magnifying glass).
If she was really so determined to be noticed I would expect her to be in the front row rather than standing at the back.

--> Balcony

Picture of a soldier who fainted just as the Queen rode past from a good number of years ago as the Queen is still riding not in a carriage

I totally agree with Warren about the Princess Michael thing. I remember last year when she wasn't in the middle but was further down the line standing next to Prince William and certain people said that she did that to get in the photos so she can't win. In recent years such as 2007 and 2004 she was right at the very end but the minute she stands next to a senior Royal she's accused of being pushy. Really unfair on her I think as trooping seems to be a bit higgilty piggilty ie it must be difficult to know who you you will end up next to when the entire family pours onto the balcony. Sophie for one didn't seem to think there was a problem as I watched the BBC coverage and she and Princess M were talking and laughing away together.

Looking at that balcony photo I am reminded of that comment allegedly made by Prince Philip that Diana would breed some height into the line. If he indeed said it, he was right! Look at Harry & William towering over the rest of them. I didn't know Harry was so tall.

It is great to see everyone particularly the Duchess of Kent! And the Kent grandchildren...where have the years gone! Lady Marina and Lady Charlotte look lovely?

No sighting of Marina Olgivy and her kids? Great to see Lady Rose and Lady Davina and their husbands as well.

The Duchess of Kent was there? Where was she standing?:flowers:

She was at the unveiling of the statue of the Queen Mum earlier this year, but that's the only other appearance in my recent memory.

While Trooping is an "official" event it also seems one of the very few annual occasions when the extended Royal Family get together.
In the 'balcony shot' alone there are about 40 members of the family.

She was at the unveiling of the statue of the Queen Mum earlier this year, but that's the only other appearance in my recent memory.

Yes Katherine doesn't attend royal events that often. She even has asked to be known as Katherine, Duchess of Kent a title usually held for widows or divourced peeresses. It's a shame she is a wonderful woman. It would be nice to see more of her. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom