The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
The Duke of York was front & centre next to The Queen last year too - not complaining, just saying...
Last year was probably due to the fact that it was his first Trooping of The Colour, as the Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, having succeeded The Duke of Edinburgh at this position

Old 06-08-2019, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

There is a difference between Colonel of a Regiment and Colonel in Chief who is HM the Queen. Thanks for correcting the British mistake .

Old 06-08-2019, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I was chatting to my Mother [born in 1930] about how packed the balcony seemed today and she said "No, no.. it used to be even busier when the 'oldies' were still around".

There seems no way to verify this, as wide-shot photo's of that era don't seem to be online but she was adamant !
Old 06-08-2019, 05:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Phillip's weren't even there today...not sure how many more they can get up there!

LaRae
Old 06-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I was chatting to my Mother [born in 1930] about how packed the balcony seemed today and she said "No, no.. it used to be even busier when the 'oldies' were still around".

There seems no way to verify this, as wide-shot photo's of that era don't seem to be online but she was adamant !

The current Queen's longevity means that there are more living grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the monarch than there probably were in previous reigns. Many princesses in the past also married into foreign royal families and effectively moved out of the country (at the Victorian and Edwardian ages for example). I don't know, but I am sceptical (or skeptical in US spelling) of your mother's claim.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The Phillip's weren't even there today...not sure how many more they can get up there!

LaRae
They were there. The DM has the breakdown of all 39 people

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rry-Queen.html
Old 06-08-2019, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

Any clues why Princess Margaret's family is normally not there too ?

EDIT: The DM apparently got it wrong again with e.g. "George Windsor, the Earl of St Andrews" instead of "George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews". They also insist on "Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge" or "Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex".
Old 06-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

My bad..I meant the Tindalls...I saw the Phillips's

LaRae
Old 06-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post

Maybe they were all on holidays in 1969,it looks a lot less crowded in this footage,nice to see Mags,the Queen Mother and Princess Alice.

Bit more crowded in 1984

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Old 06-08-2019, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

The crowd was much bigger back then (in 1969, I mean) and, I must say, the guards were far more precise in their formation.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Trooping 1983

I googled Trooping images from 1983 (because I was there), and there was lots of laughter on the balcony, particularly from the Queen:

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/q...orrection=true

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
My bad..I meant the Tindalls...I saw the Phillips's

LaRae
I asked the same about Zara, not realizing she hasn't been on the balcony since 2016. And Mike has only been on it once (Mia never). Zara was competing in an equestrian event today to qualify for Tokyo.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
The Wessexes and the Yorks are a lot more closely related to the Queen than the Gloucesters and Kents, so if anyone gets the heave-ho from the balcony, it won't be them, at this point, anyway.
I think the Queen would also be minded to the fact that the Kents and Gloucesters have done more official duties for the Monarchy than the Yorks & Wessexes have between them and its nice the Kents and Gloucesters get to bring their families along to "meet the boss" as it were.
I do understand about it being crowded but the Queen clearly likes to invite everyone and an 93 we can sadly assume there won't be all that many more of Trooping the Colours for her so lets enjoy them like this for now. Of course in time in a new reign things will probably change a little.

We still get, as this year proves, fab pics of the Queen and the senior royals and new additions so its all good IMO.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:33 PM
Aristocracy

Who is the gentleman standing behind Prince Charles beside Princess Beatrice, he is not listed, the number 15 is over his face?
Old 06-08-2019, 07:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by contessa View Post
Who is the gentleman standing behind Prince Charles beside Princess Beatrice, he is not listed, the number 15 is over his face?
It could be Tim Lawrence, Princess Anne's husband. He wouldn't be in uniform because this is an Army thing and he is a Vice-Admiral in the Navy. Also if you look at the close-up picture that includes the Duke of Gloucester, it looks like just behind his head is the top of the Duke of Kent's head.

Edit to add: I think maybe the man behind the Duchess of Gloucester is Tim Taylor. Looks like his hair color and you can just see an ear-piece from his glasses.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Prince Andrew came across really well in the interview and seemed genuinely sincere when he spoke about how honoured he was and how he hoped he did a good job.

One of the things that has come to my attention is just how many engagements Andrew has been doing in this role since taking it over from his father.

I keep a record of engagements per military unit for the members of the BRF and Andrew, this year, has done 10 engagements with the Grenadier Guards. The next highest individual royal with a single royal unit is The Duke of Kent with the Scots Guards (9) and he visited them in Cyprus.

Last year Andrew did 18 with the Grenadiers while Charles and the Duke of Kent did 7 with the Welsh and The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards respectively.

It seems that Andrew has taken to this role with a relish (and he still maintains his connection to his other military positions as well). He is a proud military man and it shows as he does appear most comfortable when doing things with the military ... as does the Duke of Kent. Both men spent over 20 years in the military so that isn't a surprise.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

LaRae
There were actually quite a few family members not there on the balcony today.

It really only looks really crowded around the Queen. If everyone spread out a bit more it would look less congested.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:08 PM
Heir Apparent

It was nice to see Catherine holding a happy Prince Louis. I like the fact that Jack Brooksbank got to ride in a carriage and wear a top hat!
Old 06-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

They missed out quite a few in their list, so there were close to 50.
40. Tom Kingston
41. Timothy Laurence
42. The Countess of Wessex
43. The Count of Wessex
44. Lady Louise
45. Jack Brooksbank (mentioned but not counted)
46 & 47. Two men behind the duke and duchess of Gloucester (most likely the duke of Kent and Tim Taylor)
Old 06-08-2019, 11:01 PM
Courtier

With all the talk about the number of people on the balcony, I have been wondering if there is a weight limit for it. I am assuming they keep that portion of the palace in good condition as this happens every year but there was a story about a piece of stonework falling off the building in the inner courtyard and almost hitting Princess Anne.
This was just a weird thing that popped into my head last night.

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour