Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to put my "two cents" in. There are just far too many people on the balcony this year. No offense, but it's time to cut down the number of people.

I think it's more to do with what loonytick said: it's a family occasion, a party occasion, not really about image or messaging anything (entirely, though there is some of that, for sure). :flowers:

I also see it as a support to the Queen, who no longer has Philip beside her. It was a nice touch to have Andrew, Charles and William all in red uniforms and beside the Queen. Clearly some image going on, of course (like with William's young family, basically the Queen, Charles, Willam et al and Harry et al clustered together).

A few years ago I watched one of the documentaries the BRF periodically allows made "behind the scenes." This one, I don't recall the name, showed workers at Buckingham Palace explaining things about their jobs...the man who does a complete walk through the palace every day checking and winding all the antique clocks, the chef and waitstaff preparing for a state dinner, and a butler getting everything ready for Trooping the Color. IIRC, he was setting everything up in the room from which the balcony opens.

The impression I got from his explanation of what would be happening there is that, once they're back at the palace that day, the Queen considers that part of the day an extended family* party. In that room they're having their pre-lunch cocktails and enjoying some social time with all the cousins and such. They do all go out on the balcony, but at least in part that's the Queen as hostess offering her guests a chance to see the fly-past from a good point of view. That explains why we occasionally (rarely, but not unheard of) see non-family members out there with the family; those people have been invited to the party, and the Queen is not the kind of hostess who gives some of her guests a good view of the entertainment while others have to peek through windows.

Now, that's how the butler chose to talk about that part of the day. It may not give the complete picture of how the BRF think about the balcony portion of Trooping the Color. But at least a part of the mindset going into who is on the balcony, where they stand, etc. seems to be independent of any concerns or thoughts regarding image or messaging.

*As for who is or isn't "family," it seems quite clear from the people who regularly show up at the Queen's family events (Trooping the Colour, the family Christmas party, etc.) she defines the term the way most people do, which is to say that she's not getting technical about who is x degrees away on the family tree or which last name they have, but rather it's whichever relatives have always been included in family events, their spouses, kids, grandkids, etc.

Last edited:
Lady Louise is mentioned as 'accompanying' her mother unlike all other family members that are mentioned - this might be related to her 'in-between' status as non-royal daughter who should have been a royal princess (see discusdion in British title thread). And Anne's husband is last in the order of names as the non-royal husband of a royal highness (Peter Phillips isn't mentioned either as is to be expected as he isn't royal either).

The Duchess of Gloucester apparently was expected to attend, so did we just miss her in identyfing all the family members or did she truly not attend or stay inside?

The York princesses were listed the same way for the Queen’s birthday concert in April. Never understood how they work this out as “accompanying”.

Last edited:
:previous: Great photos, thank you for sharing. It's lovely to see the Duchess of Kent so alert and involved, and seeming relaxed, during the flypast. It was a really nice surprise to see her there!

:previous: Great to see the Duchess of Kent but my she is looking fragile these days. I love the colour of her hat and one side, the other looks odd.

The Duchess of Gloucester looks really lovely and I've always been a sucker for a pillbox. It is on occasions such as this when you can appreciate them as they don't block out everyone behind them.

Having said that, I love Princess Alexandra's gorgeous grey/blue hat. It's just perfectly her.

Last edited:
Can some one tell me who are this two young ladies on the right ?

I saw them during the trooping the color.

This is the link as I cannot post image.

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/...e-Princess-Charlotte-Trooping-Colour-2018.jpg

Are the two girls (teens) standing between William and Autumn Philips behind the children?

https://www.ppe-agency.com/ If you look through their gallery of photos for the Trooping of the Colour photos there are pics on the balcony (Sorry I can't link directly to the photo)

PPE Agency lists them as Eloise Taylor and Estella Taylor - Lady Helen Taylor's daughters (the Duchess of Kent's granddaughters - I think)

Can some one tell me who are this two young ladies on the right ?

I saw them during the trooping the color.

This is the link as I cannot post image.

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/...e-Princess-Charlotte-Trooping-Colour-2018.jpg

https://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jun2018/PPE18060940a.jpg

The two young ladies to the right are Eloise and Estella daughters of Lady Helen and Timothy Taylor.

The two young girls at the front are Isla and Savannah Phillips, daughters of Autumn and Peter Philips.

Thanks got it, you the best :flowers:

Are the two girls (teens) standing between William and Autumn Philips behind the children?

https://www.ppe-agency.com/ If you look through their gallery of photos for the Trooping of the Colour photos there are pics on the balcony (Sorry I can't link directly to the photo)

PPE Agency lists them as Eloise Taylor and Estella Taylor - Lady Helen Taylor's daughters (the Duchess of Kent's granddaughters - I think)

I don't think this has been posted before:

This article was from 06/18, so Lord Guthrie is for sure doing even better by now. :) But just a little update on the incident.

‘He looked as if he was wearing a pink frock,’ said Kate Guthrie when I rang her to ask after her husband. She was referring to the hue of the bruises on Field Marshal Lord Guthrie, who slid from his horse at the Trooping the Colour on Saturday, probably after fainting. The bruises were the effect of his cuirass on impact. I rode with Charles Guthrie from Knightsbridge Barracks a few years ago, and he told me then that it is no joke carrying all the metal that his uniform as Colonel of the Life Guards demands. Last year, after he had fallen seriously ill in Thailand, the Queen forbade him from taking part in the parade. This year, he said he was well enough and she asked the Knightsbridge riding-master to get him fit. Prince Philip did not stop riding on formal occasions until he was 81, and the Queen herself still rides her Fell ponies every week, aged 92; so possibly Guthrie, who is a mere 79, felt he must keep up with the Windsors.

He is, as Kate, who tried to stop him, says, ‘a stubborn old bugger’. In the parade itself, a groom noticed he did not look well, but Guthrie insisted on continuing. When he slipped off, his dear horse stood perfectly still and made no trouble. No one said, ‘Is there a doctor on a horse?’, but there was — the doctor of the Household Cavalry — who prompted dismounted, inspected Guthrie, skilfully removed his jackboots (it is a well-known hazard of going to A&E in riding boots that they cut you out of them, which is fatal to the welfare of the boots, rather than pulling them off) and accompanied him in the ambulance to St Mary’s, Paddington. The good news, as I write, is that Lord Guthrie probably has nothing worse than a broken collarbone. He is sitting up and giving orders.

source

I'm glad to hear that Lord Guthrie is better. I was worried about him when he fell.

Nice to hear he’s still doing well.

If you ever want to see how the royal family make it back home after the Trooping of the Colour, in such heavy traffic, here it is. The younger members of the royal family drive by at 3:35 mark-

:previous:Thank you for the video. The police and drivers work in excellent coordination in heavy London traffic.

If you ever want to see how the royal family make it back home after the Trooping of the Colour, in such heavy traffic, here it is. The younger members of the royal family drive by at 3:35 mark-

My guesses are that:

> C&C were in the first convoy, bound for KP, from where they would have taken the helicopter back to Highgrove

> Anne was in the next Bentley

> The third and larger convoy was probably the York and Wessex families

> The Cambridges and Sussex' came last

Here are some photos of yesterday's rehearsals for this year's Trooping of the Colour ceremony. One poor guardsman had health problems..

** rex gallery **

I stumbled across newsreel footage of the Trooping The Colour from 1939. It was amusing to see that the antics of royal children on the balcony have always stolen the show. In particular, a three-year-old Prince Edward of Kent was giving his mother and his nanny nightmares. At one point, Princess Margaret stopped her young cousin from throwing a cushion off the balcony! :lol:

Very funny. I wonder whether the Duke ever saw that bit of footage as an adult!

I did a little bit more digging, and it turns out that the 1939 Trooping the Colour was the last one before the war. That means it was the only time young Prince Edward and Princess Alexandra of Kent would have seen their father participating, as he was killed on active duty in 1942. :ohmy::sad:

I wonder y the King and Queen were not there at this ceremony. Were they overseas? Where is Princess Elizabeth

Princess Elizabeth missed the 1939 Trooping because she was sick. And I think there was a separate birthday salute for the king while he and the queen were on their royal tour of Canada.

Last edited:
"these videos are funny for basically the same, apart from the kids/planes, nothing exciting happens when the RF is on the balcony for trooping so this is funny. In 2016 a curious Prince Philip was asking about the stool on the balcony and a very sure Queen said: for George 1/2?"

"In 2017 Prince Philip again was curious about the stool but this time he was pointing out that there was a stool for George but it was on the other side of the balcony, of course TF is a team so they all helped to bring the stool closer to George, even The Queen ?? 2/2"

Back
Top Bottom