Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry to ask this question...but why is it called Trooping the Color??

Do they they take turns as to which minor royals are on the balcony? Seems like the people who were there last year aren't there this year. I guess it would be difficult to fit everyone on the balcony.

The Colour is the flag of the regiment. In past times the soldiers were trained to follow that flag in battle by having the flag shown clearly to the soldiers, or troops. Each soldier did need to know which was their colour so that in the turmoil of battle they knew where they should rally in order to be with their own men.

'Trooping the colour' is simply the process of showing the regimental flag or 'colour' to the soldiers or troops.

The French also used to troop their colours and eagles. These colours and eagles were personally presented by the Emperor/King.

Hitler also presented colours to his troops and the SA and SS regiments and those colours were trooped in front of him.

British and Commonwealth Regiments show their "colours" to the queen. Each year a different regiment is asked to troop the colour in front of the Queen. About a month before the ceremony they are presented with a flad, displaying each combat situation that regiment has been in.

British and Commonwealth Regiments show their "colours" to the queen. Each year a different regiment is asked to troop the colour in front of the Queen. About a month before the ceremony they are presented with a flad, displaying each combat situation that regiment has been in.

They are not actually showing the colours to the Queen but to their own troops. The Queen just happens to be there. Colours were trooped regularly without monarchs present e.g. in the Napoleonic Wars the colours were trooped past each regiment usually weekly if not more often to ensure that the troops knew exactly what there colour was and to lose it in a battle was a disgrace for the regiment. At that time if a regiment lost its colour it would often be disbanded for awhile and the officer in charge sent home in disgrace or put on other duties for a period of time until the disgrace could be made up.

Thanks for all the photos!
It has been nice to see the British Royal family enjoying the event. My personal favourites are Lady Helen Taylor and Countess of Wessex. I wish Princess Michael of Kent recycled one of her better hats. It is always a pleasure to see a truly regal Princess Alexandra of Kent.

Am I the only one to notice that almost every year the Michaels place themselves closer to the Queen than her very own children, there should be rules about who stands where...I bought in a carboot sales old picture books about the BRF and it happened also in the early 80's when Ella and Freddie were small :whistling:

:previous:
Princess Michael's place on the balcony is extensively discussed here on an annual basis.

Am I the only one to notice that almost every year the Michaels place themselves closer to the Queen than her very own children, there should be rules about who stands where...I bought in a carboot sales old picture books about the BRF and it happened also in the early 80's when Ella and Freddie were small :whistling:

I think that there probably is a standing order with the Queen's children and grandchildren spreading out in the front row and the others more behind in the second row once the first row is full - but starting from the centre so the Michaels' of Kent end up in the centre of the second row and thus near the Queen while her children and grandchildren are in the front row with better views and better able to be seen. If they put the Queen's children and grandchildren close to the Queen they would be in two or three rows around her and not getting best of views or the public seeing them. Having watched the way the enter the balcony the Queen comes out first with Philip and then the rest in order of precedence/succession but along the balcony front. Once it is full they create a second row. Nothing more sinister than that I am sorry to say. Of course the very young children are placed in front in order to see so their parents will also be placed near them.

h'mm it makes sense Iluvbertie, yet Pss Michael sure seems to enjoy herself up in the front. Uh oh Al bina will be on my case:eek:

Thanks everyone for the info about Trooping the Color:flowers::flowers:.

...yet Pss Michael sure seems to enjoy herself up in the front.
But she's not in the front. Why do you insist that she is? Prince and Princess Michael are quite obviously in the second row. -> Balcony pic

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see Lady Louise Windsor on the balcony this year. With even the Earl of St Andrews and other "supporting" cast you'd think the Wessex children would be visible at this event at least! If I missed it--sorry!

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see Lady Louise Windsor on the balcony this year. With even the Earl of St Andrews and other "supporting" cast you'd think the Wessex children would be visible at this event at least! If I missed it--sorry!

Neither Louise nor James were on the balcony.

Trooping the Colour

I will be in London during the Trooping the Colour only to line up along the Mall. Does anyone know how long before the parade starts that I should be there to get a front row space?

The actual ceremonial at Horsequards starts at 11.00am sharp; the Royals drive along the Mall from about 10.45am; the Foot Guards / bands / Cavalry etc start marching down the Mall from about 9.45 -10.00am.

In order to get to the front [as the Mall is usually lined 'several rows deep', I honestly would not like to leave it much beyond 9am. Another thought; security searches usually only take place for those entering Horse Guards Parade, however, with the recent Bin Laden events, there is an increasing emphasis on Security, and I would not be totally suprised if there were more 'search points' around the Mall, which could all take time......

One other alternative I could suggest [and would be my own choice if I was not lucky enough to be going to the Ceremony] is that you don't bother with the Mall and instead make your way to the part of St James's Park that actually borders Horse Guards Parade, because then you can observe some of what is going on - and in fact you get a particularly good view of the mounted regiments 'waiting to do their stuff'. 'The Troop' i.e. the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery and their spectacular gun carriages will be particularly close to you - a better view than those lucky enough to be attending the actual ceremony will get [although wait for the bangs when the firing starts!!!]

As the Parade starts to draw to a conclusion [JUST before Queen leaves in her Phaeton etc], I would then trot briskly back through the Park and rush back to Buckingham Palace, where you should be able to get fairly near to the front [whilst everyone else is 'pinned between the barriers' in the Mall whilst the Queen and her troops march back down the Mall]. Hopefully you should arrive at BP just at the Queen rolls up......

All is not totally lost if you get your timing a bit wrong and arrive several rows back at the Palace, because you will see the Royal Family on the Balcony very easily, as you just have to look up - whereas if you are several rows back in the Mall, you won't see that much. Apart from a splendid turn out of the BRF, cast your eyes skyward [this will be around 12.30pm ish] and you will see the Fly Past, usually with some Red / White / Blue patriotic smoke trails....

Hope this all helps; above all, have a great day.
[Top Secret - the Loos at the Institute of Contemporary Arts on the Mall are the nearest 'facility' [free]!

Any more questions? Ask here or PM me.

Alex

Last edited:
:crown5:

Trooping the Colour

Saturday 11 June

• • •

Last edited:
I am frequently on the British Monarchy website and in the future engagements section it said nothing about the Trooping of the Colour for this year. Maybe I missed something?

I am frequently on the British Monarchy website and in the future engagements section it said nothing about the Trooping of the Colour for this year. Maybe I missed something?
You can find Trooping the Colour on the 'Royal Events and Ceremonies' page (between 'I' and 'R'!):
Royal Events and Ceremonies

I would imagine that everyone will be present (schedule premitting). This is one of the few chances to see extended extended members of the BRF present. By extended I mean the kids of the Lady Helen Taylor, Marina Mowatt, James Olgivy, etc.

Most of the attention, more than likely, will be on Catherine and the Queen (of course!).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom