Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TBH i'm not at all surprised - the UK government's roadmap clearly sets out that most restrictions will not be lifted until 21st June - Trooping should be the 12th June so it was never going to go ahead on that day in the same way. Sad but to be honest, last year felt just as special.

Assuming that the roadmap goes ahead as planned, up to 4,000 people'd be allowed at an outdoor venue, but there are usually more than that, and even that could change depending on how things go. It's a shame, but I don't think there's any choice but to do the same as last year.

This is planning ahead. This is saying that Trooping the Color will happen but happen as it did last year so that everyone involved will be safe and secure and there will be less chances of something dire happening to anybody. It's adapting and conforming to the world around them and the situation it's in.

That's one thing the monarchy can and does do. Plan ahead for any contingencies that may arise and be prepared instead of having to make last minute changes to things.

To be honest I had no hopes for Trooping the Color this year so not at all surprised.

Roll on 2022!

This will also mean no big celebrations for Philip's 100th birthday as that is only 2 days before this was scheduled.

I hope that there will be a church service at Windsor but that is all I expect - at the most and maybe not even that. Maybe we will just get a new portrait or photo of the grand old man.

From looking at a more optimistic point of view, perhaps next year's Trooping of the Colour would be one of the best if not the best with the Queen's Platinum Jubilee on 2nd-5th June ;)

ToC won't be part of the Jubilee celebrations though - based on the 2002 and 2012 Jubilee celebrations when ToC was held two weeks after the Jubilee celebrations.

https://www.royal.uk/queens-official-birthday

The Queen will view a military parade in the Quadrangle of Windsor Castle to mark Her Majesty’s Official Birthday, on Saturday 12th June. The parade will be held by the Household Division, and The Queen’s Colour of F Company Scots Guards will be trooped. His Royal Highness The Duke of Kent, Colonel, Scots Guards, will accompany The Queen.

The parade will be led by the Foot Guards, who will be joined in the Quadrangle by The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery and the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment. Music will be played by a Massed Band of the Household Division, which will include 1st Battalion Scots Guards Pipes and Drums.

Upon The Queen and The Duke of Kent’s arrival in the Quadrangle, Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will be greeted by a Royal Salute, and the National Anthem. The parade will commence with the Musical Troop as the Band plays. The Colour will then be trooped through the ranks, and the parade will conclude with a second Royal Salute.

The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery will then fire a 41 Gun Royal Salute, to mark Her Majesty’s Official Birthday, from the East Lawn at Windsor Castle.

Its nice to see The Duke of Kent will be accompanying the queen at this years Trooping the Colour Ceremony.

The Duke of Kent is the Colonel-in-Chief of the Scots Guards so no surprise that he is there with The Queen.

That's a great solution; and indeed really nice to have the Duke of Kent take part in this reduced ceremony. I am sure it is one of the highlights of the year for him, especially since he doesn't undertake that many royal duties anymore. And also for the queen to not be on her own but have one of her close family members with her to support her.

Trooping the Colour 2003-2021

Such a pity that not more members of the Royal Family won’t attend the ceremony at Windsor Castle. I had hoped that the Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge would have joined Her Majesty. That would have been a marvelous sight.

Last edited:
Beautiful morning for the Ceremony and watching it live on BBC1.

Whilst it can't beat London Windsor Castle also works pretty well as a substitute. Interesting to have the interviews and details in the run up.

Well, she definitely seemed to enjoy it, tapping along with her foot at some point, and exchanging a few words and smiling with the major generals (? i think i got that right?) afterwards..

Good to see her and the D.o.Kent on this birthday parade..

It was rather uplifting. Good that the Duke of Kent was there with her. I can't remember which one of her cousins replied to a question about when they're going to retire with a "While the Queen is still working, we aren't retiring" but it certainly fit the Duke of Kent today.

Video of Trooping the Colour 2021 at Windsor Castle.

Today's event was certainly a lot grander than last year. Windsor is an impressive stage for ceremonial events but it will be good to see trooping returned to Horse Guards next year.

Wonderful to see the Household Cavalry & King's Troop return to trooping even if in reduced numbers.

And the Red Arrows!!!

The Queen was happy. Curious that the Duke of Kent accompanied the Queen.
This event is fantastic and I hope that next year there will be more members of the royal family present as in previous years.

Curious that the Duke of Kent accompanied the Queen.

The Duke of Kent is the Royal Colonel of the Scots Guard who were trooping their colour today. He’s also the longest-serving of current royal colonels and has accompanied the Queen to this event previously in 2013 when Philip was ill.

It was rather uplifting. Good that the Duke of Kent was there with her. I can't remember which one of her cousins replied to a question about when they're going to retire with a "While the Queen is still working, we aren't retiring" but it certainly fit the Duke of Kent today.

It was the Duke of Kent who made that comment ? (and he is the eldest of the queen's royal cousins (not counting the non-royal cousins by princess Mary - who were her grandparents' eldest grandchildren))

Last edited:
The Queen was happy. Curious that the Duke of Kent accompanied the Queen.
This event is fantastic and I hope that next year there will be more members of the royal family present as in previous years.

The Duke of Kent is a Colonel in the Scots Guards who's F Company were the ones Trooping their Colour so I suppose that's a big reason he was asked to accompany her.

He clearly relished the opportunity to be there in full regalia. Next year it forms part of her Platinum Jubilee celebrations so much more of the family will be there. Hopefully anyway.

It was the Duke of Kent who made that comment ? (and he is the eldest of the queen's royal cousins (not counting the non-royal cousins by princess Mary - who were her grandparents' eldest grandchildren))
Thank you.

Oooh. Well, that's a man who walks the walk.

It was a wonderful ceremony and HM certainly looked happy. He looked content, too, as far as I could say under this hat! (I do love this uniform.)

Was watching them, and with the commentators talking about HM's 70 year jubilee next year, it made me realise that the Duke of Kent will be Duke for *80* years next year...(he succeeded his father, Prince George, at age 6, when the latter was killed in a military aircrash).

❤️

Was watching them, and with the commentators talking about HM's 70 year jubilee next year, it made me realise that the Duke of Kent will be Duke for *80* years next year...(he succeeded his father, Prince George, at age 6, when the latter was killed in a military aircrash).

❤️
As I watched today, I was reminded of George VI's funeral and how out of place the young Duke of Kent looked to me as he walked behind the coffin with his uncles. In the shots, the distance of a generation between the Dukes was stunning.

How far the boy has gone! 80 years! Today, he looked totally in place. As I said, I was glad he was with HM.

I remember, during one State Visit (may have been W-A and Max), HM was introducing the cousins-at a rather rapid clip- ‘and that’s Eddy Kent’, which seemed so casual and amusing.

(Or, it could have been ‘Eddie’.)

Back
Top Bottom