Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Duke of York takes the salute during the Colonel's Review on 1 June , in London.The Colonel's Review is the second of two rehearsals ahead of Trooping The Colour which will take place on Saturday 8 June

https://www.gettyimages.es/search/2/image?events=775349575&family=editorial&editorialproducts=all

Two new photos of The Duke of York as Colonel of the @GrenadierGds have been released ahead the Queen’s Birthday Parade, where the Regiment will Troop their Colour in front of The Queen.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D79hsk3XoAEjLoV.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D79h5PPWkAEPjh2.jpg

He's certainly looking a lot more confident than when he started practising.

It looks like building up his core strength has had a good effect on his erm . . . health.

Trooping is on next Saturday. This was the rehearsal parade not the actual parade.

Did Jack Brooksbank attend the Trooping of Colour?

He intended the rehersal. We saw him with his in laws, supporting Andrew.

We will have to wait and see next weekend if he attends the main event. I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Yeah I see no reason why he wouldn't attend. He is family now.

I wonder if we will see George and Charlotte make their carriage debuts.

Do we think we will still see the same number of carriages this year? It was getting pretty cramped with three last year. And that's with Edward and James not being there.

I read that Prince Louis will be making his first balcony appearance at 2019 Trooping the Colour. There has also been some speculation as to whether the Duchess of Sussex will make an appearance, being that she is on maternity leave. Reports in the media imply that since Kate appeared at last year's Trooping the Colour while she was still on maternity leave, that perhaps Meghan might appear this year:

https://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/a27597613/will-meghan-markle-attend-trooping-the-colour/
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...-birth-trooping-the-colour-public-appearance/

I don't think Meghan typically is going to do something simply because it's what Kate did. However, if Meghan does appear, it will more than likely be out of respect and honor for the Queen's ceremonial birthday. Personally, I'd love for Meghan to not appear. Archie will be about a month old and he is Meghan's first child, whereas Louis is Kate's third child. Meghan definitely has input on the Sussex Instagram, so perhaps giving tribute to the Queen and the event on the Sussex Royal Instagram may be an alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Meghan isn't up for it, she won't be there. If she is, she will be there. It has nothing to do with Kate. And certainly Kate isn't the first one to attend Trooping while on maternity leave.

Appearance on the balcony can go either way without there having to be any kind of explanation given to the public as to to reason. As was stated, Archie will be just over a month old and I don't think Meghan's reached that stage of motherhood yet where she craves being with people above a Sesame Street level.

We'll just watch and see what happens. It'll be nice to see all the Cambridge children on the balcony along with the rest of the British Royal Family. I'm hoping too that the Duke of Edinburgh will also be up there for this.

If Meghan isn't up for it, she won't be there. If she is, she will be there. It has nothing to do with Kate. And certainly Kate isn't the first one to attend Trooping while on maternity leave.

Exactly. That's what I said. Whatever decision is made has nothing to do with Kate, despite the references in the media.

I’m hoping she’ll make an appearance at the parade.

I believe she will try because each one is an occasion to cherish. Like it or not HM can't go on forever so you enjoy her milestones and celebrate with her.

What about Lady Gabriella and Tom Kingston? Are they still honeymooning or will they be at Trooping?

That balcony is becoming very crowded.

What about Lady Gabriella and Tom Kingston? Are they still honeymooning or will they be at Trooping?

Which is why I suspect that many of those who currently appear there won't be there once Charles is King. I wouldn't be surprised if he limits it to only the HRH cousins of his mother and descendants of George VI or even only of descendants of his mother.

The optics are important and having the entire extended family up there makes people think they are all being supported by the British taxpayers. PR is important and so a cutting back on the numbers on that balcony would probably be a good thing going forward. After all how many people really know who most of these people are anyway?

No reason why the extended family cannot attend 'the trooping', have drinks and Luncheon at Buckingham Palace, just not appear on the balcony - there being many other rooms on the East front from which they could see the crowds...

If they are not still on honeymoon I expect them to be there.

Which is why I suspect that many of those who currently appear there won't be there once Charles is King. I wouldn't be surprised if he limits it to only the HRH cousins of his mother and descendants of George VI or even only of descendants of his mother.

I will be surprised if, when Charles is King, he has that many appearing on balcony. I could picture only those officially of the Firm. His immediate family only. Charles, wife; William, wife; Harry, wife. plus his siblings and spouses. Even that is probably not what he actually wants. I can't picture any grandchild except maybe George when he is older. I remember once the Queen only had Philip, Charles and William on balcony with wives but I don't recall the occasion. I thought that was classy as just in line for the crown was respectfully acknowledged instead of all lumped together like sardines.

I will be surprised if, when Charles is King, he has that many appearing on balcony. I could picture only those officially of the Firm. His immediate family only. Charles, wife; William, wife; Harry, wife. plus his siblings and spouses. Even that is probably not what he actually wants. I can't picture any grandchild except maybe George when he is older. I remember once the Queen only had Philip, Charles and William on balcony with wives but I don't recall the occasion. I thought that was classy as just in line for the crown was respectfully acknowledged instead of all lumped together like sardines.

That was the Diamond Jubilee
https://www.etonline.com/sites/defa...on_prince_william_145759393.jpg?itok=ARGXmSlN

It was the Diamond Jubilee. Prince Philip wasn't there, he was in hospital.
On the balcony there were, the Queen, The Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and the Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince Harry of Wales. Back then, the UK Media were saying that it was the future of the monarchy there, the core of Che Firm

On the balcony there were, the Queen, The Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and the Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince Harry of Wales. Back then, the UK Media were saying that it was the future of the monarchy there, the core of Che Firm

A part of me like seeing seeing the extended family on the balcony p, but there’s something more powerful by only seeing the major players on the balcony. That Diamond Jubilee balcony appearance was everything, IMO.

The logic would be to invite only those are official members of the Royal Family. According to the link posted here a while ago, that includes all descendants of King George VI (including Prince Margaret's descendants), plus the Queen's cousins who are grandchildren in male line of King George V. There is no point really to include the children and grandchildren of the Duke of Kent, the Duke of Gloucester, Princess Alexandra or Prince Michael as they are not considered members of the Royal Family.

They could do what they do in Vatican after the election of a new pope. The main players (The Pope and seniors clerics) appears in the Loggia (Central Balcony of St Peter Basilica), and the rest of the cardinals who participated in the conclave appear at the windows at either side of the Loggia. At Buckingham, the Balcony could be for the Core members of the Firm like at the Diamond Jubilee (The Queen, The PoW, The Duchess of Cornwall, The Cambridge Family, the Sussex Family, the Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal and Vice Adm Lawrence. The rest of the extended family at the windows at either sides of the main balcony. Those windows could be draped too like the balcony to make the overall look pretty

The logic would be to invite only those are official members of the Royal Family. According to the link posted here a while ago, that includes all descendants of King George VI (including Prince Margaret's descendants), plus the Queen's cousins who are grandchildren in male line of King George V. There is no point really to include the children and grandchildren of the Duke of Kent, the Duke of Gloucester, Princess Alexandra or Prince Michael as they are not considered members of the Royal Family.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future that there is a clear and defining statement made regarding who is a member of the working pool of royals and who is a member of the larger extended family.

I disliked that balcony appearance immensely. It just seemed sad and pathetic. It was a celebration of the Queen and all those people in her extended family, including her own children were not there.

Last edited:
The occasion where so few appeared was the Diamond Jubilee and Philip wasn't there as he was in hospital. That was to recreate who Victoria had for her Diamond Jubilee which was her heir and his children. On that occasion it was The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine and Harry.

They were the only ones who went to the Guildhall luncheon after the official Jubilee Church Service while the rest of the family, including the Queen's other children were told they weren't wanted at that lunch (nor were they on the barge with their mother for her jubilee).

Charles planned the Jubilee and that is the most visible example of what he intends for the future.

The occasion where so few appeared was the Diamond Jubilee and Philip wasn't there as he was in hospital. That was to recreate who Victoria had for her Diamond Jubilee which was her heir and his children. On that occasion it was The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine and Harry.

They were the only ones who went to the Guildhall luncheon after the official Jubilee Church Service while the rest of the family, including the Queen's other children were told they weren't wanted at that lunch (nor were they on the barge with their mother for her jubilee).

Charles planned the Jubilee and that is the most visible example of what he intends for the future.

The balcony is just too crowded. The principal royals get pushed to the back and side. Last year, Charles, stood completely in front of, Camilla. Her view was pretty much blocked. Meghan and Harry was also pushed to the back. The balcony isn’t long enough for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom