The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I believe they are having a heat wave in England, so it was very hot yesterday. Perhaps people preferred to stay in the shadow or on the beach instead of standing in the sun for hours?

Old 06-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

I believe they are having a heat wave in England, so it was very hot yesterday. Perhaps people preferred to stay in the shadow or on the beach instead of standing in the sun for hours?
Yes, that's understandable, but the crowds have been thinning out in recent years though. Not that many people have been gathering for these events. Perhaps technology is part of the cause. People can watch the Trooping online and tv and don't bother coming out to see it live.

Also, there's less troops taking part in the Trooping as well. The toops used to be pretty big many years ago.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-18-2017, 07:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I did notice the thinning of the crowds for the Trooping in recent years. If you look back at the pictures of the people lining the streets back in the day, the crowds were vast and deep.
I wonder if the recent security concerns had anything to do with that. With the UK on high alert after recent attacks, people may have been worried about coming out in large numbers.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneugeba View Post
Have you tried using a vpn to "trick" your location? I use CyberGhost and have nad nothing but positive experiences with it.
No, I haven't. But maybe I'll try it.

Quote:
I did notice the thinning of the crowds for the Trooping in recent years. If you look back at the pictures of the people lining the streets back in the day, the crowds were vast and deep.
1. We don't live in the 1950s-1980s anymore, so yes the crowds are thinner for the carriage procession at non-milestone birthdays. But if you look at the crowds in the mall after the trooping, then they have (as the BBC commentators says) actually been larger in recent years.

2. The crowd was very big last year for the 90th for both the carriage procession and the balcony appearance (largest we have seen for the trooping) and had she waited an hour to get out on the balcony, then there had been jubilee/wedding size on the crowds.

3. They were of course much smaller yesterday on a non-milestone birthday, but there was (despite terror fears) lots of people in the mall.

4. There isn't much talk about a non-milestone trooping in the media before it actually happens this days (even less this year, due to all the dreadfull events that has taken place), and I have friends who didn't even know about it. So I'm actually quite impressed that there are so many who meets up at these events.

5. Dman posted a video of the full ceremony at Horse Guards, but here is the full version with crowds being taken up to the palace and the balcony appearance - see the crowds gathering at 2:14:10:

In this tweet you can see the crowds, and it was (as Huw Edwards said) an impressive sight in the mall - big Crowds:
https://twitter.com/MonarchyUK/statu...44852395479040
Pictures:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DChWIQHXoAAzqa6.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DChWIQOWAAA_1ib.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DChWIQIWAAAZHnw.jpg
Old 06-18-2017, 09:47 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps the crowds are thinning for the same reasons drive-in movie theaters have gone the way of the dinosaur. People can stay home or somewhere cooler and live stream the event or even watch it on TV. It used to be years ago that the only way to witness the event was actually being there. That has changed.

Another vehicular attack on pedestrians in London just broke across my screen. That may be a reason too to not venture out into a large crowd.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:46 AM
Heir Apparent

It is the very last one for the DOE . the whole family was there even the Duchess of Kent , but not the the Countess of Wessex and her Children ! Do we know why ?
Marie Christine and her husband were not in the group as Princess Alexandra and the Gloucester but on a place she should be seen , next to the Queen's Son !
Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
It is the very last one for the DOE . the whole family was there even the Duchess of Kent , but not the the Countess of Wessex and her Children ! Do we know why ?
Marie Christine and her husband were not in the group as Princess Alexandra and the Gloucester but on a place she should be seen , next to the Queen's Son !
Re: the Wessexes, the word is that their other grandfather had an 86th birthday celebration. Seems fair and reasonable to me.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post

Not the whole family was there: Zara, Mike, and Mia were also absent.

I'd add too that we don't know if the DoE intends to continue doing the Trooping in the years to come. Just what his retirement will fully entail waits to be seen.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

It is actually quite usual for one relatively high in the line of succession person to miss out on this event - not always someone people would think and never the Wales branch of the family. Beatrice missed a few years ago.

With Louise and James both being under age it also makes sense for a seniorish adult to be missing - hence a possible reason for Zara's no show (she may have also been competing somewhere or maybe they are in NZ or Argentina to see either the British Lions or England play rugby matches).

This is a 'precautionary' action and usually a person not one would really care about not seeing but someone who in the case of a tragedy could step up as necessary.

Re my above mention of the rugby an explanation of what is currently happening:

The British Lions are made up of the best of the four home nations - England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland. This team forms every four years and tours NZ, Australia and South Africa - may go to Argentina sometimes as well but it has been 12 years since they were in NZ.

Each of these home nations are sending the next best players on tours as well at the moment e.g. Scotland defeated Australia at the weekend while England played in Argentina. Many of these same players will be in the 'top' team for their country but others are in the teams this year because the cream of the teams are with the Lions in NZ.

Rugby is the only truly international sport in which Ireland plays as Ireland and not as the Republic and Northern Ireland. There will be players from both north and the republic in the Irish team.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:19 AM
Royal Highness

No sign of the Snowden's or Chatto's this year ? I didn't catch sight of them on the balcony?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Not the whole family was there: Zara, Mike, and Mia were also absent.

I'd add too that we don't know if the DoE intends to continue doing the Trooping in the years to come. Just what his retirement will fully entail waits to be seen.
As long as the DoE remains a colonel of one of the regiments taking part in the parade, he can be expected to attend. Currently, I think he is still a colonel only of the Grenadier Guards, but he could relinquish that position too.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I fully expect to see the DoE attending state events like Trooping the Color as long as he has breath in his body. His retirement is just stepping down from doing public engagements.

He's still very active and recently seen carriage driving around Windsor Castle and I seriously doubt he's going to jump in a carriage and just drive off into the sunset never to be seen in public again. That's not his style. At 96 years old, he deserves to just take things easy and smell the roses (or horse manure.. whatever he prefers).
Old 06-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Picture Clip:
Charlotte trying to get her mother's attention during the National Anthem-
World of Windsor : williamkate: Charlotte trying to grab her mummy’s...

I think George did the same thing to his father when he was younger. Love it!

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
No sign of the Snowden's or Chatto's this year ? I didn't catch sight of them on the balcony?
Sophie Wessex, Louise and James--were they hidden? Edward was alone in the carriage with other royals

Zara and family

Snowdens

Chattos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Re: the Wessexes, the word is that their other grandfather had an 86th birthday celebration. Seems fair and reasonable to me.
Very odd. The Queen's Grandchildren should be there. Zara wasn't, but otherwise they were all there.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:35 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Picture Clip:
Charlotte trying to get her mother's attention during the National Anthem-
World of Windsor : williamkate: Charlotte trying to grab her mummy’s...

I think George did the same thing to his father when he was younger. Love it!
Adorable
Old 06-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopewell View Post
Very odd. The Queen's Grandchildren should be there. Zara wasn't, but otherwise they were all there.
I don't see how that is odd?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopewell View Post
Why?

They have more grandparents than just the Queen and decided this year to spend their day with Sophie's father on his birthday.

The Queen's actual birthday was in April and I am sure they saw her then and so when she put the official birthday on Sophie's father's birthday they said 'this year we are spending that day with our grandfather'. The Queen would have known that the dates clashed when she set the date and so no doubt had no issue with Sophie and her children spending the day with their maternal grandfather rather than with their father's family.

This is no different to William deciding to spend Christmas with Kate's family some years rather than with his family.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Queen would have known that the dates clashed when she set the date and so no doubt had no issue with Sophie and her children spending the day with their maternal grandfather rather than with their father's family.
Good points!

This is the Wessex children's remaining maternal grandparent and they should have the opportunity to see him on his birthday IMO. The family has attended many Trooping the Color ceremonies in the past and will likely be at next year's event.

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour