The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2017, 05:43 PM
Nobility

Trooping the Colour 2003-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Is such a large family gathering at the balcony really necessary ? What happened to a slimmed-down , core royal family ?

I think when Charles is King, the Kent and Gloucester families will dissapear from the balcony.
Then it will just be the King, his wife, his sons, daugthers-in-law with their children and the Kings' brothers and sister with their families. This is my guess.
Still a large gathering but less so than the present situation.
But I could be wrong and that it will just be the King with his family.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Well the 'slimmed down' idea is always associated with Charles rather than the current Queen. She always seems quite happy to invite all her children, grandchildren, cousins and their families to the Palace on this day and likewise always welcomes them/allows them onto the balcony. If she didn't want to she wouldn't. Of course things may change in the future but for now it seems something of a tradition that the Queen invites them all to attend, maybe she does so as it gives them a fixed point to all get together, this always takes place in the summer, the Christmas lunch at BP in Winter, ensuring the extended family all come together at least twice a year.
Thanks for your answer, Tommy100.

I understand what you say, but it just strikes me as odd. The Duke of Kent, the Duke of Gloucester, Prince Michael and Princess Alexandra are HRHs themselves so it makes sense that they would be there, but their children and grandchildren are not royals and are not even closely related to the Queen, unlike Princess Anne's children for example (who are not royals either, but at least are closer relatives to the Queen). Nothing against it and it certainy doesn't hurt, but it is a little bit too much IMHO.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Trooping the Colour 2003-2017

The whole family is out there for 15 minutes. You would not even see the extended family on the tv coverage because they focus on the Queen and the people immediately around her. They are there because the Queen wants them there and it's her official birthday celebration. Just like they all get invited for pre Christmas BP lunch. What harm is the extended family on the balcony doing? None that I can see.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Royal Highness

I guess they are also there on the balcony because they are watching a fly past, whilst its turned into a 'balcony appearance' by the media its actually also a view point for the RF to watch the flypast. I guess the Queen, having invited them to attend, would feel rude asking them to watch the flypast on TV or in the back garden.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It was great to see the photos and videos from Trooping the Colour today.
It's nice that Savannah and Isla are on the balcony this time, though it was a shame to see that Sophie, Louise and James were absent. I hope that everything was alright, considering that the Wessexes have always been 'regulars' at Trooping the Colour and also that Edward was on the balcony this year. George and Charlotte are adorable as usual. Charlotte definitely seems to have quite the lively personality. I hope that Mia will get to join her cousins next year!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-17-2017, 07:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's a beautiful tradition of having the whole royal family on the palace balcony after the Trooping. That's why the extended family is there...it's tradition.

Full Version of the Trooping of the Colour 2017
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=KuJa342F9Bo

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-17-2017, 08:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Is such a large family gathering at the balcony really necessary ? What happened to a slimmed-down , core royal family ?
Ask the Daily Mail et al.

Quote:
Thanks for your answer, Tommy100.

I understand what you say, but it just strikes me as odd. The Duke of Kent, the Duke of Gloucester, Prince Michael and Princess Alexandra are HRHs themselves so it makes sense that they would be there, but their children and grandchildren are not royals and are not even closely related to the Queen, unlike Princess Anne's children for example (who are not royals either, but at least are closer relatives to the Queen). Nothing against it and it certainy doesn't hurt, but it is a little bit too much IMHO.
Quote:
I guess they are also there on the balcony because they are watching a fly past, whilst its turned into a 'balcony appearance' by the media it's actually also a view point for the RF to watch the flypast. I guess the Queen, having invited them to attend, would feel rude asking them to watch the flypast on TV or in the back garden.
This is the British Royal Family. Presumably, after the flypast, they will enjoy a light buffet and celebrate the year, catch up with each other, compare their experiences, touch base wth mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins and all the other degrees.

For many, this is one of the two occasions where they are all in attendance and, as we have seen at various polo, racing and social events, the strangest couples are close friends. it is also the one time when everyone can be themselves, no big-mouthed 'friend' (unknown source) telling tales about who said what to whom about whomever. They just have a jolly good time and, when they step out to the balcony, the crowd sees the BRF en masse. There is space on the balcony and I would bet my last cent that HM and Prince Philip love spending time with the whole bunch of extended family and no other calls on their time for the rest of the day. Doesn't the Queen deserve a birthday party?
Old 06-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pictures:
Nice pics of little Catherine (Charlotte) looking out of the Buckingham Palace window for today's Trooping-
World of Windsor : theroyalsandi: Princess Charlotte of Cambridge...

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The whole family is out there for 15 minutes. You would not even see the extended family on the tv coverage because they focus on the Queen and the people immediately around her. They are there because the Queen wants them there and it's her official birthday celebration. Just like they all get invited for pre Christmas BP lunch. What harm is the extended family on the balcony doing? None that I can see.
I think that's the sum of it. It's The Queen's birthday party, and she wants them all to be around her. That's fair. It's her support system, like her empty handbag, that she carries (though I haven't seen that handbag lately come to think of it. Has she dispensed with it?)

It's not like they are all getting a stipend or honorarium for being out there on that balcony.

Quote:
I guess they are also there on the balcony because they are watching a fly past, whilst its turned into a 'balcony appearance' by the media its actually also a view point for the RF to watch the flypast. I guess the Queen, having invited them to attend, would feel rude asking them to watch the flypast on TV or in the back garden.
I think it makes her feel better to do such a daunting appearance, before so many people, surrounded by those she knows and loves. Because it is overwhelming (especially for those not egomaniacs) to be before a crowd like that, even after years of experience. JMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
This is the British Royal Family. Presumably, after the flypast, they will enjoy a light buffet and celebrate the year, catch up with each other, compare their experiences, touch base wth mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins and all the other degrees.

For many, this is one of the two occasions where they are all in attendance and, as we have seen at various polo, racing and social events, the strangest couples are close friends. it is also the one time when everyone can be themselves, no big-mouthed 'friend' (unknown source) telling tales about who said what to whom about whomever. They just have a jolly good time and, when they step out to the balcony, the crowd sees the BRF en masse. There is space on the balcony and I would bet my last cent that HM and Prince Philip love spending time with the whole bunch of extended family and no other calls on their time for the rest of the day. Doesn't the Queen deserve a birthday party?
Yes. A nice summation of what it might be for The Queen. Less lonely I would think. Like Janis Joplin famously referenced. Nothing more lonely than being adored by a crowd. Yep. For sure she wants connection to her real-world life once she steps off that balcony. JMO.

BTW I think the 'slimming down' oft spoken of is only in terms of titles and salaries, correct? That would not preclude King Charles from continuing on with his mother's twice-a-year family reunions, I would think. Why give up on that, just because of a change in reigns? It seems to me, Charles would want to gather his extended family around him, if only just twice a year. It's a way of thank you, too.

BTW will King Charles have an official June Birthday, too, because of the weather being so nasty in November? Wondering.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Pictures:
Nice pics of little Catherine (Charlotte) looking out of the Buckingham Palace window for today's Trooping-
World of Windsor : theroyalsandi: Princess Charlotte of Cambridge...
Charlotte's got The Queen's 'resting face', methinks.

And did you see that? She nailed the photographer with a finger-point! Impressive! That's one savvy child.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Charlotte's got The Queen's 'resting face', methinks.

And did you see that? She nailed the photographer with a finger-point! Impressive! Thai's one savvy child.
The Cambridge kids cracks me up. They're adorable and funny. They have the royal waves down and they enjoy these gatherings and fly-pasts.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-18-2017, 12:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The Cambridge kids cracks me up. They're adorable and funny. They have the royal waves down and they enjoy these gatherings and fly-pasts.
They do seem in good spirits and very relaxed...that's a good thing.

LaRae
Old 06-18-2017, 12:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
They do seem in good spirits and very relaxed...that's a good thing. LaRae
Actually, to me they look a bit kvetchy as children go. A handful both of them. Not as bad as Sweden's Madeleine's Leonore, but along those lines. I think it's the astrology. Similar to my last born little one, who was born generally around the same time (not quite) but still, a generational auspice would be in play.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Today was the first time we've seen Prince Philip not wearing his uniform and he rode with The Queen in the carriage for the inspection. I like the bit of change up.

Stunning image of The Duchess of Cambridge-
http://johnabradley.tumblr.com/post/...r-17-june-2017

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-18-2017, 04:50 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

A few posts discussing Trooping in future reigns have been moved to the The Monarchy under Charles thread.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I enjoyed seeing Ann in full military dress and have a general question. What is Ann's Bicorne made of? Anyone know? I ask, because in the last year or so, it had started to look a bit worn and this year at Trooping it was spiffy, shiny and refreshed.
I tried to search for this and only found references to wool bicornes. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I enjoyed seeing Ann in full military dress and have a general question. What is Ann's Bicorne made of? Anyone know? I ask, because in the last year or so, it had started to look a bit worn and this year at Trooping it was spiffy, shiny and refreshed.
I tried to search for this and only found references to wool bicornes. Thanks.
More info on the cocked hats-
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicorne

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-18-2017, 06:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I think that's the sum of it. It's The Queen's birthday party, and she wants them all to be around her. That's fair. It's her support system, like her empty handbag, that she carries (though I haven't seen that handbag lately come to think of it. Has she dispensed with it?)

It's not like they are all getting a stipend or honorarium for being out there on that balcony.

I think it makes her feel better to do such a daunting appearance, before so many people, surrounded by those she knows and loves. Because it is overwhelming (especially for those not egomaniacs) to be before a crowd like that, even after years of experience. JMO.

Yes. A nice summation of what it might be for The Queen. Less lonely I would think. Like Janis Joplin famously referenced. Nothing more lonely than being adored by a crowd. Yep. For sure she wants connection to her real-world life once she steps off that balcony. JMO.

BTW I think the 'slimming down' oft spoken of is only in terms of titles and salaries, correct? That would not preclude King Charles from continuing on with his mother's twice-a-year family reunions, I would think. Why give up on that, just because of a change in reigns? It seems to me, Charles would want to gather his extended family around him, if only just twice a year. It's a way of thank you, too.

BTW will King Charles have an official June Birthday, too, because of the weather being so nasty in November? Wondering.
This. King Charles or King George VII should invite all of his family on the balcony at future events. The Kents and Gloucesters are family members, they should be there. Lord Downpatrick and his future Lady Downpatrick should be there as well.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Kent did attend , happy to see her.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

I did notice the thinning of the crowds for the Trooping in recent years. If you look back at the pictures of the people lining the streets back in the day, the crowds were vast and deep.

A.W. TOZER

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour