The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2017, 02:40 AM
Heir Apparent

A message from our beloved, amazing history-making Queen with her Record Breaking Reign who truly is (as a commentator said yesterday) Elizabeth the Great:

https://www.royal.uk/queens-official-birthday-2017
Quote:
Today is traditionally a day of celebration. This year, however, it is difficult to escape a very’ sombre national mood. In recent months, the country has witnessed a succession of terrible tragedies.

As a nation, we continue to reflect and pray for all those who have been directly affected by these events. During recent visits in Manchester and London, I have been profoundly struck by the immediate inclination of people throughout the country to offer comfort and support to those in desperate need.

Put to the test, the United Kingdom has been resolute in the face of adversity. United in our sadness, we are equally determined, without fear or favour, to support all those rebuilding lives so horribly affected by injury and loss.

ELIZABETH R

17th June, 2017
Just been read up on Sky News.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I just checked my BBCA channel and Trooping the Color is not listed at all as part of what will be shown. Its a shame as I would think they would televise it.

Eventually it will be on YouTube and that's where I'll watch it.

BBC America is basically useless for watching anything going on in the U.K. They never really show any of going on in the U.K. If you want some Star Trek Next Gen, it's great but if you want to watch Trooping or the State Opening of Parliament not so much. It did show some of the Diamond Jubilee stuff back in 2012 and it used to have select Six Nations rugby matches but that was several years ago.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:47 AM

Trooping the Colour 2003-2017

The Duke of Edinburgh is in Morning Dress this year. He normally attends in Full Uniform.

The Duke of Kent is also in Morning Dress.

God Save The Queen!

Old 06-17-2017, 07:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Nice to see Philip and Edward Kent in morning dress today.

Surprised to not see Sophie or her children in a carrriage this year. Perhaps someone is unwell.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

What a glorious day for Trooping the Colour in London!
Old 06-17-2017, 07:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

For those who for various reasons can't watch BBC, perhaps you can watch this live link instead? https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1
Of course with Danish comments.

I see Prince Phillip for the first time was allowed to inspect the guards with QEII, presumably as a nod to him retiring.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Muhler! The link doen't work here in Norway, but I have access to Danish channels so (thanks to you) I can now see the pictures from DR1 on the TV - while I hear the Brtitish commentary from the tvpc link.

To others here: Try to watch it here and listen to the eminent commentary of Huw Edwards - went well for me, but as I said in post 1340 - be a bit careful when you use the tvpc site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Trooping the Colour 2017: 10:30am on BBC ONE
BBC One - Trooping the Colour

Watch outside the U.K. Here-
TVPC.com - Channel List
1. For those who are watching Trooping the Colour, you will see something strange. The Queen has always waved and smiled when she has been sitting in open carriages/open cars for her Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilees and on other occasions as milestone birthdays etc.

But never during the Trooping, then she's just sitting seriously in the carriage and almost never waves. My grandfather thinks it has something to do with that she used to ride herself.

2. The crowd was very big last year for the 90th (largest we have seen for the trooping) and had she waited an hour to get out on the balcony, then there had been jubilee/wedding size on the crowds.

They are of course much smaller today on a non-milestone birthday, but there are (despite terror fears) lots of people in the mall.

3. HM and the Duke held a minute of silence before they departed Buckingham Palace.

4. Our amazing Queen has been praised (as usual) both yesterday and today and deservedly so by commentators/experts for the way she is now leading a nation in sorrow, while Theresa May is criticized as never before.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here's a gallery from this mornings ceremony

Trooping The Colour 2017 Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Minutes Silence

Old 06-17-2017, 07:58 AM
Heir Apparent

From the Fail - their lead article:
The Queen sends a solemn birthday message | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
'Put to the test, the UK has been resolute in the face of adversity': Queen issues solemn 91st birthday message to reflect 'sombre national mood' as the royal family gather for Trooping the Colour

Queen sent solemn birthday message to nation asking people to be 'resolute in the face of adversity'

She said it was 'difficult to escape a very sombre national mood' after a succession of terrible tragedies

Her Majesty spoke of visiting Grenfell Tower residents on Friday and Manchester bombing victims

The Queen has said the country should be 'resolute in the face of adversity' following a succession of tragedies as she marks her official birthday with the Trooping the Colour today.

In her birthday message she said it was 'difficult to escape a very sombre mood' in the UK after recent suffering in London and Manchester.

Security was tight around Buckingham Palace and the Mall as the final preparations for the annual celebration started this morning.

The Monarch arrived in an open horse drawn carriage with Prince Philip by her side as thousands turned out to watch the spectacle of might, splendour and precision.
This article is likely to be updated and changed.

Picture from the DF:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...13_964x498.jpg
Old 06-17-2017, 08:04 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
1. For those who are watching Trooping the Colour, you will see something strange. The Queen has always waved and smiled when she has been sitting in open carriages/open cars for her Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilees and on other occasions as milestone birthdays etc.

But never during the Trooping, then she's just sitting seriously in the carriage and almost never waves. My grandfather thinks it has something to do with that she used to ride herself.
While reading this, my first thoughts were that during this ceremonial occasion, she isn't just on display for the people and would wave and acknowledge them but she's there in the capacity of being the monarch inspecting the troops as they present their colors. Its a role that totally separates her personal role as Queen and the figurehead of being the Crown that the military units pledge their service to.

That's my take on it anyways but then again, what do I know?
Old 06-17-2017, 08:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
While reading this, my first thoughts were that during this ceremonial occasion, she isn't just on display for the people and would wave and acknowledge them but she's there in the capacity of being the monarch inspecting the troops as they present their colors. Its a role that totally separates her personal role as Queen and the figurehead of being the Crown that the military units pledge their service to.

That's my take on it anyways but then again, what do I know?
Agree! And I think that's what my British grandfather meant.

Her Majesty is now on her way back to the palace.

Edit As I said in post 1349, many people in the mall.

Edit Robert Hardman is in the studio.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Thanks Muhler! The link doen't work here in Norway, but I have access to Danish channels so (thanks to you) I can now see the pictures from DR1 on the TV - while I hear the Brtitish commentary from the tvpc link.
You are welcome.

You wouldn't have missed much turning up the sound to DR1 though. The commentators are Christian Eugen Olsen, former Master of Ceremonies of the DRF, and ex-officer along with a historian. - And they know what they are talking about! It's a pleasure to listen to.

I always enjoy watching the deployments of the guards battalions. It's rare nowadays to see heavy infantry of the line form up as they would have from around 1750-1865.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Here's a gallery from this mornings ceremony

Trooping The Colour 2017 Pictures and Photos | Getty Images
Where is Sophie Wessex ? I didn't see her in the pictures.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Where is Sophie Wessex ? I didn't see her in the pictures.
Sophie wasn't in the carriages and neither were her children. Edward was with the Yorks. Perhaps she is unwell.

Nice to see Savannah and Isla on the balcony, although I would have liked to see James with them as he seems to get on well with the girls.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
You are welcome.

You wouldn't have missed much turning up the sound to DR1 though. The commentators are Christian Eugen Olsen, former Master of Ceremonies of the DRF, and ex-officer along with a historian. - And they know what they are talking about! It's a pleasure to listen to.

I always enjoy watching the deployments of the guards battalions. It's rare nowadays to see heavy infantry of the line form up as they would have from around 1750-1865.
I Agree! And I really like to listen to him too (for Danish celebrations), but I just love the way the BBC does it when it comes to BRF events.

The crowds is now taken up to the palace.

Edit Huw Edwards is mentioning the impressive sight in the mall - big Crowds.

Edit BBC-video tribute to Philip.

Edit HM, The Queen and the royal family is coming out on the balcony.

Edit George and Charlotte on the balcony - they wave to crowds.

Edit Many people are still in the mall - not so many up at the palace.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Majesty

Interesting to see the Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke of Kent in jacquet today. Maybe the uniform and bearskin hat has become too much for them (they could have swapped the bearskin for a kepi). Maybe the Duke thought: "I am retired so I am civilian now". Both were dressed to the nines. As usual.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Fascinating to watch the field pieces being fired.

The cannons are model 1904, and were predominantly thought to be used as a battlefield weapon. I.e. to be used as fairly short range suppression of hostile troops, in particular charging natives in colonial warfare. The ammunition favored was shrapnel shells, which people nowadays incorrectly tend to use to describe fragments. Shrapnels were grenades filled with metal-balls which exploded over the heads of the enemy showering them with balls.
Hence the armor plate on the field pieces which offers some protection from long range rifle fire. During the Boer War a few years before artillerymen had been picked off while standing by their cannons, by Boers mostly using the very accurate and long ranging Mauser rifle.

Like all other such field pieces they became obsolete once the warfare in WWI became static after the first few (and very bloody) months. After that the only cannons in use were howitzers, which lob shells over a long distance.
However, flat-trajectory field pieces came back to use in the last days of WWI and again in WWII as anti-tank guns. One of the most famous of course being the legendary German 88.

Today some 43 % of the troopers in the Royal Horse Artillery are women.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
[....]

4. Our amazing Queen has been praised (as usual) both yesterday and today and deservedly so by commentators/experts for the way she is now leading a nation in sorrow, while Theresa May is criticized as never before.
With the notable difference that a Prime Minister bears personal executive and political responsibility, is held accountable by the public. The Queen at the other hand, tja... she did what she had to do. Her white gloves will remain spotless. The comparison between a PM with her boots in the mud and a Queen on her high piedestal is not fair here, I am afraid to say.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:08 AM
Majesty

George and Charlotte looking from window

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVcJQ7Un...cambridgespage
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVcJPZ0l...ncesscharlotte

At the Balcony

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DChSAROXsAA08_j.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DChYVK2WsAAJRql.jpg

Two more Galleries from today

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...remony,_london

Belga Image

I love the old pictures, especially the very old
Back Trooping of Colour 1951:Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and 3-year-old Prince Charles

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DChCM8yXcAAofEn.jpg

and back 1987:Queen Mother, Princes Diana and 5-year-old Prince William

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCh-gSLXgAIbLLy.jpg
Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
With the notable difference that a Prime Minister bears personal executive and political responsibility, is held accountable by the public. The Queen at the other hand, tja... she did what she had to do. Her white gloves will remain spotless. The comparison between a PM with her boots in the mud and a Queen on her high piedestal is not fair here, I am afraid to say.
1. No she didn't.

2. I didn't compare them, the experts/commentators did.

HM and the royal family is inside the palace and the broadcast has ended.

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour